Incident in Moreletta Park

G00SE

Not exactly Cycling, but still relevant.

My Brother was stabbed last night whilst out on a run in moreletta park.

He managed to land a punch and the perp fled, but not before he managed to stick a blade in his abdomen.

Luckily no vital organs were hit and should be discharged today, but it could have ended very badly.

Seems the eastern parts of PTA are really having problems with crime, so be careful out there people..

Yoh

Close call.

All endurance athletes are close to my heart, with or without wheels.

Hope he recovers fully.

On the gravel section next to De Villebois?

I guess even though this is a very busy road, there are lots of get-away options for perps

I run there at least once a week. What time did they strike?

On the gravel section next to De Villebois?

I guess even though this is a very busy road, there are lots of get-away options for perps

I dont have exact details yet, he lives in a complex just off Wekker on the other side to Kimiad, I think it happend close to his complex, so probably off the main roads.

Edit: It was about 18:00

Edited by goose1111

We were cycling up that climb at 18:00 we must have just missed it. It seems a bad element has moved into the area with all these attacks.

Hope he recovers soon.

P.S. He must remember to file a case with SAPS so there is a case number that we can add to the other attacks in the area

The above incident just empahsise again how carefull one must be these days

Recently I was also attacked by two guys who stole my mountain bike as well as my cell phone. After noticing other incidents in the same area (Moreleta Park & Garsfontein Road) on this forum, as well as in the press, I also just wanted to post my story as a warning.

On Saturday morning, 5 Oct 2013, I was cycling along the gravel path following the fence of hte national Intelligence facility in Moreleta, and was about to cross the little river (about 100 meters from Garsfontein Road) when two guys threw a big rock against my shoulder, so that I fell of my bike.

The one took my cell phone and the other my bike and ran into the bushes towards the area known as "Plastic View".

I started walking towards the first complex and notified the guard that was manning the watch tower inside the complex, but it seemed that there was not much he could do. Shortly after, two other cyclist came by adn offerend me the use of a cell phone (I phoned a family member to meet me back at my complex). They accompanied me to my complex and there the security guards phoned the police.

Later on, after reporting to hte Garsfontein Police Station, I heard that the police went straight to Plastic View after receiving the call. After giving my statement, I went to Menlyn Shopping Centre to organise a new phone, and then I was called back to the police station - they actually caught one guy (although I could not postively identify him) and got my bikk back! so within 5 hours I had my bike back, for which Im very grateful.

I also just wanted to add my warnign (to all the others) that people that go jogging, or cycling, and walking their dogs in the area close to Plastic View must rather change their route.

Have been problems on the path running along Wekker road before with runners being mugged so watch out there.

Always people running there and usually dark there.

Glad the guy is ok. Rather go run in nature reserve.

Glad to hear the cops did their job MTB101!

this sh.. is getting out of hand - what now!? are we just supposed to let these scumbags run around and do as they please - no more safe places to ride and jog?? this has to be dealt with!

Sad thing is I used to stay in Pretoria and the areas identified is where I used to train and in a lot of cases doing it solo. It's really sad to see these threads where both cyclists and runners are attacked.

Hope your brothers recovers quickly.