SanParks lock the gate at the back of Plum Pudding

ABastard

Pics as requested. I came from vredehoek side towards rhodes mem

Pic 1 and 2 is what you see on the tar road just before the bend.

Pic 3 and 4 the start of the single track going up.

post-8906-1384272712,5473.jpg

post-8906-1384272764,1013.jpg

post-8906-1384272829,4363.jpg

post-8906-1384272862,4592.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pic 5 is going up back way of plum pudding, you can see the sign board saying the same like all the others.

Pic 6 and 7 is the start of the track down.

And last but not least Pic 8, the locked gate

post-8906-1384273134,9742.jpg

post-8906-1384273158,6333.jpg

post-8906-1384273177,6787.jpg

post-8906-1384273217,5739.jpg

And this is the actual track....post-49914-0-93961500-1384276513_thumb.jpg

SanParks have kindly agreed to have a look at this track over the enxt week.

Thanks for all the views!

Why not get SANParks to agree to a volunteer build day to get it fixed properly? That'll be another first for the Rhodes Mem area!

But damn if that is the worst of it then there are serious rider issues, even cyclocross bikes deal with worse than this. Anyway, MTB is the new golf so we need to have manicured flowing single-track or bike paths everywhere.

Soon the downhill tracks will be the equivalent of old XC tracks ridden by fully rigid bikes.

Reminds me of the dude that complained about dangerous tracks at TBMTB Club trails and and.

What!? My dead granny could ride that section. Or have the guts to admit that it's above her skillset and walk it.

I'd shudder to think what you make of the "boulders" trail in tokai, or even faerie garden, for that matter!

The fuss is over that?

Im a confirmed coward and wouldnt think twice about riding that track.

To me, the issue is not this track.

I agree that Sanparks have done something good by building it.

The issue (with a small i) is that lots of less confident MTBers have now been discouraged from this route.

There are lots of 'weekend warriors', older riders and rookies (clearly not represented on this forum) who enjoy the Plum Pudding route up to the contour but will struggle with this technical track.

Yes, you can argue that they should learn or push and walk.

Possibly this is true.

And clearly, many of you believe this.

By far the majority of the views expressed here are of the opinion that technically inexperienced riders should just admit their incompetence and get off and walk the 200 meters.

Maybe you’re all right... and we should not concern ourselves with the less experienced riders and they should just get over themselves and accept their incompetence with humility as some of you suggest.

However, on the very limited tracks we have in this beautiful public space, I believe first prize is to make the routes accessible to the majority of riders - not just the few who are technically confident.

By all means build challenging tracks.

But not as the only access.

To me, the issue is not this track.

The issue (with a small i) is that lots of less confident MTBers have now been discouraged from this route.

There are lots of 'weekend warriors', older riders and rookies (clearly not represented on this forum) who enjoy the Plum Pudding route up to the contour but will struggle with this technical track.

Yes, you can argue that they should learn or push and walk.

Possibly this is true.

And clearly, many of you believe this.

By far the majority of the views expressed here are of the opinion that technically inexperienced riders should just admit their incompetence and get off and walk the 200 meters.

Maybe you’re all right... and we should not concern ourselves with the less experienced riders and they should just get over themselves and accept their incompetence with humility as some of you suggest.

However, on the very limited tracks we have in this beautiful public space, I believe first prize is to make the routes accessible to the majority of riders - not just the few who are technically confident.

By all means build challenging tracks.

But not as the only access.

how do you get skills? by riding track, and that is not even close to being considered challenging, not even on a road bike with skinny tires.

As one of those inexperienced riders that has to often hop off and walk sections, as frustrating as it might be - nothing beats that feeling of weeks or months later overcoming a section I couldn't before, my 5c - as long as it is safe and possible to walk it, then it's ok.

I rode the trail this evening, in the dusk without a light (too dark for photos on my phone). It was piss easy, even without having ever ridden it before, and well built in my opinion. Descending Plum Pudding is just as technical. They've even made a lovely bridge to cross the river. I like it :D Big up to SANParks, if they built it.

I don't recognise that section in the picture you posted. There is a fork near the end of the trail, I went right (towards the visible buildings), is your photo from the trail going left. That, or it just wasn't a memorable bit of trail.

Please don't make SANParks ruin a perfectly good trail because you are too lazy to learn to ride your bike.

Edited by Nick.

Rode up and and down on my rigid SS today. But i ride the trail almost everyday. The schlep of the locked gate well riding up the trail was simpler than i thought, just kills momentum having to ride up and down again.... HTFU tablets on overdose after all the bike jackings too

AB'stard, the correct step to take here would be to get SanP to built an alternate route for the folks you mention, pick up on the erosion factor while you are chatting. Suggest what DJR pointed out earlier and get a volunteer group out there one day.

Later... and well done for looking out for the older group and less experienced. (FYI, there is a 73yr old lady hitting Mamba in Tokai on a regular basis.. skills clinic anyone?)

Older riders and weekend warriors? I see guys that are well past sixty riding down Cobra and Mamba at Tokai all the time, always smiling. Dont let rider age kid you, some of those guys are seriously good.

Oh and a less juvenile user name might help you be taken more seriously.