2014 Giant Trance 27.5 2

nolipoli

So feeling a bit like Snake Plissken in "Escape from Hout Bay" I managed to take the Trance for a ride this afternoon.

Ironically my wife reckons it looks like a snake (wait till she sees the decal I've had made for it).

Don't know whether it was the fact that the bike was physically lighter (1kg on the frame alone), lighter wheels,the tyres having a way less aggressive tread pattern or the suspension, or etc. But the bike felt fast and nimble on the uphills.

On the downhills it was really fun and felt like it was asking for me to throw it a around a bit and hit little jumps along the trail.

I refrained from going too wild due to still having a bit of setup to do and being a bit unsure of the tyres (a bit of tyre squirm on the front tyre at the start of a ride doesn't help with confidence, granted it only happened once).

Funny that the wire - beaded Rapid Rob felt like a sturdier tyre than TLR Nobly Nic I had on the front (though this could be due it having a higher pressure from just being set up tubeless).

Really looking forward to getting to know this bike.

Solid Snake from MGS is better.

Stunning looking bike btw.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Felt similar to the medium Sanction. I'll still play around with the stem and spacers though.

According to Giants size guide a medium suits me

Nice! How far extended is your dropper post though? At max extension?

Nice! How far extended is your dropper post though? At max extension?

Haven't measured but still above the minimum insertion line by a long shot. Will run down and measure it just now

Haven't measured but still above the minimum insertion line by a long shot. Will run down and measure it just now

Nice. Looks like it's going to be a good bike! Just let us know how it goes with proper tires on there...

Ok, about 35mm above the minimum insertion line

Still loads of safety net then.

How does she handle?

She handles really well, looking forward to putting her through her paces.

Already set a couple PRs on the way up yesterday (Fairy Garden, etc.).

Also considering trying her out with my old 26" wheels, with them on the BB height is 335mm, which AFAIK is still relatively acceptable.

Yip got one too. Needs dropper post and reckon brake up grade but these are minor details. Awesome bike to customize as well. I will change the shifters to XT but this is purely indulgence on my side. HT angle pretty slack and climbing is surprisingly impressive! You are well rewarded after the climb, impressive DH capabilities.

No Brainer!!

How much do these go for lately with the kark rand?

Still R20 - 22 000 new depending on the shop and how much you can haggle with them. The current stock came in and was paid for before the Rand did its latest nosedive. Once those are sold, I imagine prices to rise steeply.

• 1 month later...

Is this still the best value trail bike available locally, or is there anything else I should look at, @ the same price?

Archived