2014 Giant Trance 27.5 2

nolipoli

Right, numbers below. (Old Numbers in Brackets)

Fork Offset: 46mm (Fox Van 36 was 37mm which was quite surprising)

Axle to Crown: 565mm (545mm)

Head Angle: 65.1 (67)

Seat Angle: 72.1 (72.5)

Wheel Base: 1190mm (1161mm)

BB Height increases by about 3mm and height at Head tube increases by about 6mm.

Those look like tasty numbers...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those look like tasty numbers...

For me the surprising thing is how much the angleset brings the front back down again, although the offset of the fork also plays a part.

For me the surprising thing is how much the angleset brings the front back down again, although the offset of the fork also plays a part.

Yeah. May not have to get a longer stem after all... been thinking of going to a 50mm stem from my 40

Just checked those against the Trance SX, New Reign & Nomad...

Reign X w 180mm Marzo 66 Nomad Trance SX New Reign

& -1.5 Deg Angleset

HA 65.1 Deg 65 Deg 66 Deg 65 Deg

STA 72.1 Deg 74 Deg 72.5 Deg 73 Deg

WB 1190mm 1195.4mm 1186.2mm 1216.6mm

TT 612mm 609.6mm 619.7mm 640mm

CS 434.3mm 433.1mm 439.4mm 434.3mm

I think the experiment is working as expected. You can definitely see the "forward geometry" influence in the New Reign, but apart from that, my frankenbike seems to be pretty close to the new crop of uberbikes.

BUT. It has 10mm more travel in the rear than the Nomad, and 20mm more at the front. It's also shorter, but has slightly longer chainstays (by 1mm) and a longer top tube.

Against the new Reign, it is shorter, has the same size chainstays, but a shorter top tube. And more travel.

I think it's a success.

The only thing that is a little less than ideal is the seat tube angle, but this would be easily solved by shifting your saddle forward by 10mm and changing your 40mm stem to a 50mm (or 60mm).

I had a 70mm stem on my KHS Lucky 7 with the same Marzo 66 on it and it felt good. I am guessing that it had something to do with the bigger offset of the fork.

Now just to get it together. Much awesomeness.

I'm impressed with the preciseness of your process! :thumbup:

Anyone know if any stores in CT still have 1 of these in size L/XL? Just need to know who to contact 1st tomorrow morning. Thanks guys.

If Dragons Sports (the importer) has stock, then any shops will be able to get it for you. Lately Olympic, Bridge and Action Cycles seem to do the best deals. Negotiate a little with your lbs.

If Dragons Sports (the importer) has stock, then any shops will be able to get it for you. Lately Olympic, Bridge and Action Cycles seem to do the best deals. Negotiate a little with your lbs.

I think there must have been a mix up when I chatted to my local giant dealer earlier then. Think he thought I was very 29er specific coz he said there was only a 2013 X1 left. Will go back and chat tomorrow.

Thanks bud.

I can confirm what DJR said... I got mine a few weeks ago. I went to see a few bike shops and they could all get Large ones. They all didn't have any Large ones on the floor and phoned Dragons to check stock.

I ended up getting mine from Bridge. Faizel hooked me up with a really good deal. Got it the next day.

Love the bike BTW. Its an awesome machine.

still loving my bike, but did find one tiny little slightly irritating problem....on a medium frame you can only fit a small bottle

Archived