2014 Giant Trance 27.5 2

nolipoli

Anybody keen to share the suspension settings on a 2015 Trance 2?

Seems its pretty soft and squeashy out the box!!!

Have it better now but always open to others who have ridden their bikes as opposed to my 50m driveway test ride.....

Hi Steven...when did you get the Trance? I found the biggest change to my Trance suspension was the rebound speed on the rear shock. Slower than factory settings have worked really well, especially on rough bits of track. If the rear feels too squishy then just ad a little bit of air, go for a ride off road and top up until it feels just right. Fork's rebound can be a little bit faster.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yowser, that's one sweet looking Trance, how are you're enjoying her KD?

Hey Buff_SA,

Absolutely loving this bike so far.

The 1x10 took some getting used to but after riding her for two months I'm really starting to enjoy it. I definitely think it's making me a stronger rider. I struggle a bit on the long steep climbs so am toying with the idea of fitting a Praxis expander cassette (11x40).

I'm also loving the Fox 34 Talas fork. It really changes the dynamics of the ride. It has so far taken everything I could throw at it.

Dropper post? I can't believe I've been riding without one for so long! What an absolute pleasure.

I've left the bike pretty standard, other than fitting a new saddle, which has also made for a much more comfy ride.

I'm going to take her through her paces at "Ride the Rhenoster" on Sunday which is evidently technically difficult with some mean climbs.

Will see how she fairs there.

How much do you weigh and does it have the debonair can on the back?

You may need to perform the electrical tape mod to reduce the volume in the outer chamber. Piece of piss, and makes SUCH a difference.

Hey Myles, mine has the standard Fox Float CTD. I weigh around 74kg.

Have the rear up to 180Psi and the front at 80Psi. Rebound is one click off the middle of the slower side. I found with my previous bike, Anthem running 120mm fork, the rebound needs to be slower and these Psi settings worked. obviously this is a totally different kettle of fish.

Will post pics later, still a few things to finish with the build.

Hi Steven...when did you get the Trance? I found the biggest change to my Trance suspension was the rebound speed on the rear shock. Slower than factory settings have worked really well, especially on rough bits of track. If the rear feels too squishy then just ad a little bit of air, go for a ride off road and top up until it feels just right. Fork's rebound can be a little bit faster.

I got it built yesterday, still not 100% complete, dropper must go stealth, 1x10 conversion and some internal cable routing to be done.

Rode it in the driveway and it is SOOOO different to my Anthem though. Will see when it goes offroad how it performs. Have a shock pump and will do fine adjustments on the trail.

See my setup above, will be the starting point.

Don't worry about shock pressure numbers.....open the CTD valve to Descend then pump or release air until you get the correct sag. Fox recommends 20% to 25% to start with . Trance owners might recommend more or less sag. Then set the rebound speed.

After this, use the Climb or Trail setting when you need less squish for pedalling

Trance has a lot more travel and WILL feel squishier than Anthem....but wait till you get it into some rowdy stuff.

Enjoy

@Myles:

"You may need to perform the electrical tape mod to reduce the volume in the outer chamber. Piece of piss, and makes SUCH a difference."

I missed this - could you describe it of give a reference please.

@Myles:

"You may need to perform the electrical tape mod to reduce the volume in the outer chamber. Piece of piss, and makes SUCH a difference."

I missed this - could you describe it of give a reference please.

Hey man, I had a blond moment... thought you had an RS monarch. Don't know if the same thing applies, but essentially you wrap the canister in electrical tape to reduce the volume of your shock body

Excellent thanks guys - I shall explore this. It started yesterday when in a race the day before I nearly had my eyeball oil worn out by the rattling.

So I consulted the net and read up on rebound etc again. Lo and behold I get to the bike and find both front and rear suspension in "Climb" position. How dof is that  :oops:

So I thought I would do a brief review after my first ride:

The bike really is much better than I could've hoped for, it's deserving of all the hype!!!

I have setup my suspension to what i find best, it might change slightly but so far this works for me at my 75kg fully kitted weight:

• Front fork, Fox float CTD evolution.
  • 70psi and 5 clicks from the fastest setting
  • Rear shock, Fox CTD evolution
  • 160psi and 3 clicks from fastest

The suspension is pretty decent spec for the price. My setup has not had it bottom out yet but also haven't done many jumps. A 3ft dro-off is about the worst I have done thus far. The small bump compliance is okay but not great.

Here are the differences from standard:

I run an Absolute Black oval front ring, 32T. I don't have my usual 40T ring at the back because it is a SRAM only Wolftooth unit. Will source a 42T though when the time comes.

Renthal Strata stem, 50mm, with a Renthaol Fatbar, 740mm.

Giant Contact switch dropper, stealth setup.

Shimano saint flat pedals with crank boots.

Giant XC lock-on grips

So the cabling is still not to my liking. The rear brake should be internal but the schlep of disconnecting and then running it has meant leaving it as is. On the standard Deore brakes, they are not as good as my previous bikes SLX brakes. Power is the same but very little modulation. A SLX upgrade would be money well spent. My dropper is routed internally, crappy job, but the cable ended up being about 100mm to short from my previous bike so will sort this out still.

The SLX rear derailleur with Deore shifter works great, no complaints.

I obviously can't really comment on the wheels but from what I have read they are great, so will reserve judgement.

I did upgrade my tyres, WTB trailboss 2.25 rear and WTB vigilante 2.3 front. Holy crap, they just grip and grip and grip........ Well worth the money.

So all in all, a great bike and for the money it really represents the best value for money out there. Managed to get it from my LBS in PE with couriering to Pretoria, for less than i could get it locally too.

So here are the pics:

post-35569-0-08245500-1442238930_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-73305300-1442238941_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-21294600-1442238953_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-28978900-1442238966_thumb.jpg

There is a shim mod for the Fox float shock that I did to my previous Reign to reduce the air cannister volume. It works very well, and is well worth looking at. 

Have a look at the below link for some details of the mod (on a different bike, but a DW link anyway)

http://forums.mtbr.com/turner/dw-5-spot-rp23-mod-503070.html

That article originates from 2009, surely the newer evolution models have improved significantly making any of these types of mods redundant?

i had the FiT Damper installed which vastly improved small bump compliance on the standard evolution fork

That article originates from 2009, surely the newer evolution models have improved significantly making any of these types of mods redundant?

Shock manufacturers introduced High Volume air cannisters to minimize the highly progressive nature of an air spring, but on a bike like a Giant equipped with Maestro, the suspension leverage ratios are designed with a falling rate, to compensate for exactly the same thing. What this means is that if you set up your suspension to be plush (good small bump compliance) the combination of shock and frame design don't offer enough progression to stop harsh bottoming out on heavier landings. The problem is that if they just reduced the volume of the shock significantly, a side affect is that the compression will generate a lot of heat, which will affect the bikes' damping.

So I guess that it becomes a matter of philosophy. The principle of these mods is to reduce the air volume of the cannister creating a more progressive spring curve, and at the expense of damping consistency on longer runs. You get to choose what works for you.

does anyone have the Torque settings for the pivot bolts etc ...searched online but dammed if i can find any 

does anyone have the Torque settings for the pivot bolts etc ...searched online but dammed if i can find any 

Turn it till it strips, then half a turn back.........

Just joking, don't know. sorry

Shock manufacturers introduced High Volume air cannisters to minimize the highly progressive nature of an air spring, but on a bike like a Giant equipped with Maestro, the suspension leverage ratios are designed with a falling rate, to compensate for exactly the same thing. What this means is that if you set up your suspension to be plush (good small bump compliance) the combination of shock and frame design don't offer enough progression to stop harsh bottoming out on heavier landings. The problem is that if they just reduced the volume of the shock significantly, a side affect is that the compression will generate a lot of heat, which will affect the bikes' damping.

So I guess that it becomes a matter of philosophy. The principle of these mods is to reduce the air volume of the cannister creating a more progressive spring curve, and at the expense of damping consistency on longer runs. You get to choose what works for you.

So all about compromise then. I would sacrifice a bit of small bump compliance for bottoming out.

From my understanding the 2015 Fox fork has the FiT damper in it and is, very basically put, a pretty decent fork. Only way of improving it is to buy a 34 or pike but even then most MTBR banter says it isn't worth the extra money really. Just maintain it and it is pretty good.

So all about compromise then. I would sacrifice a bit of small bump compliance for bottoming out.

From my understanding the 2015 Fox fork has the FiT damper in it and is, very basically put, a pretty decent fork. Only way of improving it is to buy a 34 or pike but even then most MTBR banter says it isn't worth the extra money really. Just maintain it and it is pretty good.

I don't know much about the Fox 34, but I can tell you that the 2015 Pike is very good. The stiffness of the fork is incredible, and inspires confidence in a way that my Fox 32 just couldn't. I personally think that 140mm of travel is too much for a 32mm stanchion.

Archived