2014 Giant Trance 27.5 2

nolipoli

I fetched the new Trance 560B yesterday afternoon and finally managed to get a couple of hours to take it for a ride late this afternoon. Thanks Beattbox.

Looks:

It is a bloody awesome looking bike. Stealth matt black with gloss decals just look so good. Parking it next to my old Trance, which will now serve another member of team DJR, it is easy to see the family resemblance.

CTD suspension:

It climbs really well, even in Trail mode, it just feels efficient going uphill. In Climbing mode it accelerates like a heavy hardtail, but I doubt that I'll use that much unless I ride it up to the Mast or similar long boring straight up climbs. Going up the Tokai single track Trail worked just fine. The fork wasn't quite as plush as my old well worn one, but I expect that to improve rapidly with some use. In Descend mode it seems to eat bumps for breakfast. I do think that I still have to play with the suspension settings a bit. I'll co-opt Pain or Shine for that.

Geometry:

The rear end feels very similar to my old Trance X but with more travel. The front end feels much more like the Reign of a year or two ago. The slacker head angle makes it very stable on a fast descend and it feels like it will run a straight line whatever you put in its way. Like with the old Trance, it feels very forgiving.

Drivetrain:

The SLX 2x10 set up works perfectly and I won't miss the old 3x9 at all. Shifting was faultless.

Brakes:

These had me worried on the first run down Mamba, but by the time I got to Vasbyt, they have bedded and worked fine. I probably will transfer my SLX brakes from the old bike.

Wheels:

No issues at all. The Nobby Nicks actually grips nicely and I'll likely ride them to bits before buying tubeless tires. There is a bigger difference between the 26 and 650B wheels, than what I would have expected by just looking at them. It seems to run through sandy bits a lot easier than the 26er ever did. Whether it is that much better in the rocky stuff remains to be seen. I didn't really push it today (I've been in chicken / road mode for some months now).

Nimbleness:

No problems here. It goes around tight corners and tight spots with ease.

What will I change?

My old Gobi saddle is going on the new bike immediately and those big-horn wide handlebars are going to get the chop. I know, I know, handlebars supposedly cannot be too wide, but I don't care, those things are going to catch every second tree I try to sneak around.

How are you feeling now about the bike, a month after owning it? I'm absolutely loving mine still and each rides just gets better & better :thumbup:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How are you feeling now about the bike, a month after owning it? I'm absolutely loving mine still and each rides just gets better & better :thumbup:

It feels like I have ridden it for years, like the bike was designed and made specially for me and my kind of riding :clap:

The only real change that I needed to make was shortening the handlebar about 2 cm each side. It really was too wide for tight bushed in single track and pine plantations of Tokai.

The fork lost its sticktion and is now nearly as buttery as a well used one. The CTD both front and back works flawlessly.

Shifting from Deore and SLX still perfect.

The pleasant surprise is the wheelset. I expected, from what others had to say, that the Giant wheels were rubbish and that it will need upgrading to make the bike work like it should. Not so at all. It is stiff, not heavy for a trail/AM wheelset, a good width and runs just fine. I have since learnt that Giant bought DT Swiss and that is why their wheels have improved so much recently. I think people just keep repeating bad stories about Giant wheels from a few years ago.

The bottle cage positioning makes removing and replacing a bottle tricky, but I'm getting used to that. I like using a bottle for shorter hot rides rather than a Camelbak.

I'm happy to be on my trusted old Gobi again, that Giant saddle really had it in for my behind.

In conclusion - This Trance 2 must be the best value for money of any mountain bike model at the moment! I can think of bikes at twice the price that won't give you half as much fun! :clap:

Great, Dawid! The wheels certainly are better than the ones that come on Scott fietse. But still a bit heavy compared to 3rd party options. But then as you say - it's an all mountain bike!

Of all the bits - I'd only change the wheels and fork. But that's only if I had the budget available.

It feels like I have ridden it for years, like the bike was designed and made specially for me and my kind of riding :clap:

The only real change that I needed to make was shortening the handlebar about 2 cm each side. It really was too wide for tight bushed in single track and pine plantations of Tokai.

The fork lost its sticktion and is now nearly as buttery as a well used one. The CTD both front and back works flawlessly.

Shifting from Deore and SLX still perfect.

The pleasant surprise is the wheelset. I expected, from what others had to say, that the Giant wheels were rubbish and that it will need upgrading to make the bike work like it should. Not so at all. It is stiff, not heavy for a trail/AM wheelset, a good width and runs just fine. I have since learnt that Giant bought DT Swiss and that is why their wheels have improved so much recently. I think people just keep repeating bad stories about Giant wheels from a few years ago.

The bottle cage positioning makes removing and replacing a bottle tricky, but I'm getting used to that. I like using a bottle for shorter hot rides rather than a Camelbak.

I'm happy to be on my trusted old Gobi again, that Giant saddle really had it in for my behind.

In conclusion - This Trance 2 must be the best value for money of any mountain bike model at the moment! I can think of bikes at twice the price that won't give you half as much fun! :clap:

This is the only thing I can complain about, bit of a design fail, but otherwise no other complaints. My fork is also bedding in nicely :thumbup: The only thi ng I can complain about is that I have been ill, and not able to ride :thumbdown:

This is the only thing I can complain about, bit of a design fail, but otherwise no other complaints. My fork is also bedding in nicely :thumbup: The only thi ng I can complain about is that I have been ill, and not able to ride :thumbdown:

One word. Camelbak

Think my old 2011 trance was still best value for money.. with the x4 coming in at just over 11k it was a real bargain and trail bike of the year handsdown... i really miss it and it will be hard to replace... still think its was better then the new one..just the way it even stood when stationary...but ya .. its was my bike so it was the best :blush: + the shorter chainstays made it snappy !!

Hectic to think its gone up over 10k jsut for a fox fork and slx drivetrain !

So budget issues have determined that I will not be getting a Stealth Reverb anytime soon, so I fished out my Joplin 4 and fitted that to my Trance.

At first it was not rworking and I thought it had broken (Crank Brothers!) but then I replaced the cable and cable housing. Now the dropper is operating perfectly.

The only issue I have is the cable ties on the Top tube, which don't look great.

I see that Craigwt has got a different routing for his Giant dropper post (see his first ride picture earlier in the thread) going down the downtube and up the back of the seattube.

Craig, is this working for you? Does anyone else have any experience with the alternative routing.

One word. Camelbak

Three Words - I've got one :thumbup: Nice to also have an option, I'm using a small bottle.

.................I see that Craigwt has got a different routing for his Giant dropper post (see his first ride picture earlier in the thread) going down the downtube and up the back of the seattube.

Craig, is this working for you? Does anyone else have any experience with the alternative routing.

Yes, please, I'd like to have some feedback on the Giant dropper post too!

So budget issues have determined that I will not be getting a Stealth Reverb anytime soon, so I fished out my Joplin 4 and fitted that to my Trance.

At first it was not rworking and I thought it had broken (Crank Brothers!) but then I replaced the cable and cable housing. Now the dropper is operating perfectly.

The only issue I have is the cable ties on the Top tube, which don't look great.

I see that Craigwt has got a different routing for his Giant dropper post (see his first ride picture earlier in the thread) going down the downtube and up the back of the seattube.

I think the Giant Connect dropper uses internal cable routing.

The old (2012) dropper post is external routing only. The new 2014 Giant Dropper post is really neat! I have put it on most of my rental bikes.

The really cool thing is that you can change it to be internally or externally routed depending on the bike frame (instructions didn't let me know how to do this but youtube did and it took about 10 minutes).

Internally it really looks very good and while this new option only has 100mm of travel adjustment, it's plenty enough for my long legs. Cable actuation means kinks and grime eventually mean replacing the cable and outer but it's no big effort, once the hard work of threading it is done the first time (I used a vacuum cleaner to suck thread through the frame)

In short, it's not the best dropper post on the market, but when you consider the price, I believe it is!

Its the neatest I could get the routing. I routed it internally down the downtube and popped it out of the same port where the brake and derailleur cables come out. Then some black insulation tape to protect the frame where I used cable ties up the seat tube. The main issue it getting the length just right when fully extended, I had way too much slack, so the loop would make contact with the rear tyre every now and then.

Yes, please, I'd like to have some feedback on the Giant dropper post too!

In short, it's not the best dropper post on the market, but when you consider the price, I believe it is!

I had tons of cable issues when running the dropper stock standard. after two small mods I haven't had any problems... The first is to remove the bendy piece of cable outer that attaches directly to the trigger, run the black cable outer straight into the trigger (you can remove the stopper off of the old bendy piece and attach it to the cable outer). The second is to use some insulation tape to cover the holes on the top of the seat clamp. Mud shoots up off my tyres, hits the bottom of my saddle, then drips down onto these holes. Eventually getting the whole inner mechanism and cables all full of mud. I have two of these posts set up this way and neither of them are giving any issues anymore....

well, I only have one set up like this now, cos my trance just got a stealth dropper the other day :P

I ran mine off my rear brake line :o make loops and stoppers with cable ties.. never bunched once and fed smoother then most okes with tabs for dropper. Use the brake cable as a cableguide :thumbup: ;) neat as if you do it right !

• 3 weeks later...

I ran mine off my rear brake line :o make loops and stoppers with cable ties.. never bunched once and fed smoother then most okes with tabs for dropper. Use the brake cable as a cableguide :thumbup: ;) neat as if you do it right !

Also do the same on my MOTO

Archived