[Event] Trans Karoo

Trans Karoo

I will go for the "hope I never need it option" - was just curious if the others carry all that stuff and where.

Always carry that stuff with me even for the 20km fun rides . Just to much of a hassle to take it out every time .

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Space blanket is about the size of 3 gels; a few pills outside their packets are nothing & duct tape can be the bandage - you should always have some of that I reckon.

OK thanks, sounds doable, just wasn't keen to carry loads of stuff I'm never going to use.

Space blanket is about the size of 3 gels; a few pills outside their packets are nothing & duct tape can be the bandage - you should always have some of that I reckon.

I think you are right. Duct tape = bandage for me and the bike. I'll maybe pack a small piece of gauze for the bike.

Looking at the equipment/medical requirements with my Adventure Racing goggles on:

You're embarking on a solo 250km ride, you can either be properly prepared or toss coins and hope that your 'luck' holds out. I wouldn't go to all this effort and then rely on other riders/sweep vehicle on the first little setback. don't be the d005 who skimps on gear and then NEEDS a spare tube off another rider, compromising his race.

The medical list is very basic, and actually won't take up much space at all.

whistle and space blanket are the best bang for your buck in terms of weight vs usefullness. I actually suggest two space blankets so you're not scared of using the first one.

Plasters/gauze/tablets etc are not really what i would personally take. I always ride with a buff which can be used as a bandage, and have a few turns of duct tape around my seatpost incase of emergency.

tools/pump/chainbreaker/tubes etc are all pretty much common sense and weigh loads more than the medical stuff. If you don't have a camelbak then there are loads of places on your bike frame to fit for a big deal one off ride like this. Ride/train with some extra gear, much better than getting a surprise in the first 5km.

I would definitely carry a phone. obviously if you're riding in a group you can split kit up, BUT then you obviously take a chance that you're definitely going to stick together.

As a rule for AR kit we ask to not have any liquids in transition boxes, it's to keep the weight down. The rider to that is that the organisers need to guarantee water at the transitions, these guys look pretty on the ball in most other regards.

edit: i hope they shoot litterbugs on site, don't go tossing your gel sachets in the veldt peeple!

Edited by Shebeen

Looking at the equipment/medical requirements with my Adventure Racing goggles on:

You're embarking on a solo 250km ride, you can either be properly prepared or toss coins and hope that your 'luck' holds out. I wouldn't go to all this effort and then rely on other riders/sweep vehicle on the first little setback. don't be the d005 who skimps on gear and then NEEDS a spare tube off another rider, compromising his race.

tools/pump/chainbreaker/tubes etc are all pretty much common sense and weigh loads more than the medical stuff. If you don't have a camelbak then there are loads of places on your bike frame to fit for a big deal one off ride like this. Ride/train with some extra gear, much better than getting a surprise in the first 5km.

Just to be clear, I always take the "tools/pump/chainbreaker/tubes etc" along and each of them I had to use at some stage during races. But I've never had the need for the medical stuff on the list hence the question.

Noob question but what am I supposed to do with a space blanket or 2?

whistle and space blanket are the best bang for your buck in terms of weight vs usefullness. I actually suggest two space blankets so you're not scared of using the first one.

Plasters/gauze/tablets etc are not really what i would personally take. I always ride with a buff which can be used as a bandage, and have a few turns of duct tape around my seatpost incase of emergency.

I would definitely carry a phone. obviously if you're riding in a group you can split kit up, BUT then you obviously take a chance that you're definitely going to stick together.

As a rule for AR kit we ask to not have any liquids in transition boxes, it's to keep the weight down. The rider to that is that the organisers need to guarantee water at the transitions, these guys look pretty on the ball in most other regards.

edit: i hope they shoot litterbugs on site, don't go tossing your gel sachets in the veldt peeple!

Great advice Shebeen.........some things you just don't want to take chances on.

In terms of the water...... I guarantee that there will be plenty at all of the check points for filling of water bottles etc.

Does anyone have an idea what the road surfaces are like? Rutted roads are probably to be expected, but what about surface sand and loose stones/gravel etc? I did a long distance on very sandy roads this weekend and it really caught me off guard with deflated tires and all.

The Ceres and Tankwa Karoo has had a load of rain over the past weeks so I am expecting pot holed roads and most likely a fair amount of rutting...... I do know that the they have been working on Ouberg Pass and grading here and there.

I cannot foresee to much thick sand, maybe the odd wash-away or drift here and there.....loose gravel you are going to find on some of the climbs and maybe it would be better to be cautious on the descents.

I think the danger is that it is a long way to go on gravel and dirt..... concentration is key.

Rata Del Spruit, by any chance do you have any accommodation booked in Sutherland that you want taken off your hands, battling to find........

Dont forget that the Sutherland hostel still has place available - contact Martin for all the details, entries@fluency.co.za

Just a question regarding liquids. The rules say no liquids in the support box...so how do you refill bottles?

There will be ample water available at all of the check points for water bottles and hydration packs.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone got place for one rider on Saterday night. Mate off mine wants to do the ride, but needs a lift back to the Northern suburbs. He will help with the costs.

Regards.

Just a quick question, I see the "rider briefing" advise us to pick up our lights at Checkpoint 2 which is about 90km into the race. So if you average about 20km/h you will get there way before lunchtime, meaning you will carry your lights with you for most of the day.

How did most of the riders organise this in the past? I guess I can ask my wife/"support crew" to give it to me at Spectator Point 3 but then I need to be pretty certain she is going to pitch on time. :whistling:

Hi I need accommodation in Ceres for the 25th for 6 pax. just got an entry and don't want to drive through from Ctn, do the ride and etc. Got acc in Sutherland thankfully.

We are riding as mates and I think we are going to be doing 15.5 to 17 hrs so you can understand my predicament. PM me if you know of anything. Please.

I entered the ride as a solo rider.

Is it possible to do this without any backup? In other words... just with the transitions boxes?.

If I put something in the transition box do I have to take it at the checkpoint or can I pick it up at the end?

You also seem to get 2 transition boxes. Is there a possibility of more boxes - but at an addisional cost?

Ja ek het verlede jaar sonder backup gery nadat ons backup laat gekom het met die belaglike detour. Hulle het meer as 500km gery om by die checkpoints te kom.Ek dink vanjaar gaan beter wees vir die backup.

Weet dit is nog baie vroeg en is mos nie die Weatherfairy nie, maar Ai Ai Ai

Sutherland se weervoorspelling vir Saterdag.

post-10429-0-00188600-1398079058_thumb.png

Don't know if you still get them, I go everywhere with this thing. It is really really great. Comfy light and comes with a 3l hydration pack. Plenty of space for odds and bobs.

post-2696-0-53272500-1395146658_thumb.jpg

dont ride with such a massive back, if its well orgenized there should be a watertable every 30-40km