Rear Derailleur Hanger - Anyone ever make one up?

Tractor

Hey hubbers - I'm struggling to find a rear hanger for a frame that I'm converting to a SS; all the usual searches like www.derailleurhanger.com turned up zip. Has anyone actually made up a hanger? I'm thinking along the lines of some aluminium plate cut to size using a template (not too difficult to make up using the frame and some card board)? Silly idea or might it actually work?

Hey hubbers - I'm struggling to find a rear hanger for a frame that I'm converting to a SS; all the usual searches like www.derailleurhanger.com turned up zip. Has anyone actually made up a hanger? I'm thinking along the lines of some aluminium plate cut to size using a template (not too difficult to make up using the frame and some card board)? Silly idea or might it actually work?

I have a small metal lathe with a milling attachment. I cut is from a solid piece of aluminium. Milled the sections away, drilled it, tapped it and 11 years ago and are still using it. I could not find replacement hangers untill a few years back while rummaging through a box found four in packets. Bought them, ride with one in the saddlebag and still never needed it.

Edited by Big H*

I have a small metal lathe with a milling attachment. I cut is from a solid piece of aluminium. Milled the sections away, drilled it, tapped it and 11 years ago and are still using it. I could not find replacement hangers untill a few years back while rummaging through a box found four in packets. Bought them, ride with one in the saddlebag and still never needed it.

Excellent, just what I wanted to hear :) Looks like the next weekend project ...

Had one laser cut a few years ago for a old frame I was riding at the time, not a difficult thing to do,

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy aluminium in Jhb?

Given the small quantities needed for something like a derailleur I use Metals Centre in Jhb city - they cut to size and you end up buying only what you need so no offcuts lying around in the garage :) They pretty much stock anything from aluminium to copper to mild steel in most of the common profiles and thicknesses

Given the small quantities needed for something like a derailleur I use Metals Centre in Jhb city - they cut to size and you end up buying only what you need so no offcuts lying around in the garage :) They pretty much stock anything from aluminium to copper to mild steel in most of the common profiles and thicknesses

Go to any alu dealer and look at their scrap and offcuts. I have a box full of flat and various sizes of rod at home. Got some brass and teflon stock as well. Comes in verry handy to create thingies with.

Good to hear others answer this question, as I had to sort this out a week ago, found a similar profile hanger and just needed to drill a hole for the hanger bolt, seems even better than the original hanger ( more robust where needed).

Such a common problem, we should have someone specializing in this.

I think hangers are 'outdated' and cause more problems than they prevent, hence the newer direct mounts.