Over training or needing strength training

Free ride

I rode the 94,7 loved the ride, but at 70 km my legs felt weak and flat. My time was slow.

I want to know how you know your over training. I rode easy MTB ride Saturday 34 km. Monday did two in a row spinning classes. Did a class Tuesday and trained legs a bit. and then Thursday I rode for 40 min and trained legs a bit.

I am 50 years old weight 72 km fairly fit. Do a bit of Mountain biking every weekend at least 60 km and twice a weak spin and twice a week train weights twice a week with 10 slow easy swimming lengths in my training. More or less. So I am doing some activity at least four days a week.

I not sure if I should have rested a full week ? Or under training my polar shows over training. But I am a bit confused right now. .

You can I am told its one of the reasons it takes longer to get fit if you over train you break down. I am told you need a lot of rest and recovery. If I followed my a Polar I be training 1/3 ... Of what I train

You did it slightly wrong, from what I've studied.

Your training should have happened a lot more before this. Last week should have been "taper" week, where you don't decrease intensity, only duration of exercise.

This gives your body the right amount of time to rest. Unfortunately, for most people and especially us weekend warriors, we train like crazy in the days leading up thinking it will increase our endurance and fitness, but in fact does the exact opposite.

Next time, train like crazy. But the week before, do shorter, but as intense, rides and training sessions.

Google training taper and there should be extensive three week taper programs which will get you ready.

You did it slightly wrong, from what I've studied.

Your training should have happened a lot more before this. Last week should have been "taper" week, where you don't decrease intensity, only duration of exercise.

This gives your body the right amount of time to rest. Unfortunately, for most people and especially us weekend warriors, we train like crazy in the days leading up thinking it will increase our endurance and fitness, but in fact does the exact opposite.

Next time, train like crazy. But the week before, do shorter, but as intense, rides and training sessions.

Google training taper and there should be extensive three week taper programs which will get you ready.

And what he said :)

Thanks for this. I did not train hard the last week. But it might have felt like that but it could very well been to much.

I did eat well, two small nought , banana , small potato and lots of blue drink and coke and water. Plus a small bar one. Thank you Bar One. It was great.

I rode the 94,7 loved the ride, but at 70 km my legs felt weak and flat. My time was slow.

I want to know how you know your over training. I rode easy MTB ride Saturday 34 km. Monday did two in a row spinning classes. Did a class Tuesday and trained legs a bit. and then Thursday I rode for 40 min and trained legs a bit.

I am 50 years old weight 72 km fairly fit. Do a bit of Mountain biking every weekend at least 60 km and twice a weak spin and twice a week train weights twice a week with 10 slow easy swimming lengths in my training. More or less. So I am doing some activity at least four days a week.

I not sure if I should have rested a full week ? Or under training my polar shows over training. But I am a bit confused right now. .

I also lost my legs at 70 km when I started cramping badly! The same thing happened at the Jacaranda and the OFM.

I am just wondering if it is not because of one’s training intensity which is not at the same level as one’s racing intensity (Hart rate)?

I have only started cycling 8 month’s ago. So I am also wondering what to do.

Road training is different from MTBing as it involves longer periods of tempo work, especially when racing. Lots of steady cadence with varying power demands depending on the terrain and the pace of the bunch.

MTBing is marked with interrupted tempo and cadence and requires different physical demands.

I reckon to do a road race one should spend good time on the tarmac to develop your tempo riding, simulating the demands of a road race.

Something to consider.

Cadence training was my answer this year...cannot believe the massive improvement in my riding this year...smashed my time from last year and I believe most people who attended the classes this year did the same. No more double spinning sessions for me, , 2 classes a week and 2 training rides at the weekend made the N14 a breeze and the last 20 km was cracking to overtake everyone on the hills. Not only are the classes great but they are full of some awesome people with massive experience both on mtb and on the road. Am no expert on training, but this is really working for me.

If you're pressed for time then train the way you race. If its a 100km race then do a 100km ( or longer) training ride, assuming you have done base miles. Like Dale said you need to get used to intensity on road.

1st build the base miles

then enhance with

intervals and hill repeats.

Also: Be aware of what zone you are in the race (aerobic / anaerobic). Use a heart rate monitor if you cannot determine without one. If you at red line from the start, dont expect a fast finish.

The week leading up to a key race should be a taper week with much less training and more carbs in diet. The day before; ideally some light riding to loosen the legs.

I did eat well, two small nought , banana , small potato and lots of blue drink and coke and water. Plus a small bar one. Thank you Bar One. It was great.

You should be eating 1g of carbs per kilo per hour - so in your case 72g of carbs per hour. You should also start eating relatively soon after you start if you are doing a very long ride