DH Back in 1996

Hairy

I raced the citizens race at the 97 Grundig in Stellies.......steel Diamond back, RST forks and had one of those brake boosters made by Acor up front......

bit like this

http://www.torontocycles.com/images/Aluminum_Brake_Booster.jpg

the next year at the WC I bought some Magura hydro rim brakes.......#stateoftheart

Guest Omega Man

Shotto

in 97 I got into MTB via working at CWC.

The store back then was big into Gary Fisher bikes, so when the WC came around we got V.I.P tickets to the event .... what a day out that was!

Remember this lady riding her heart out.

She was second on the day

18th May 1997 1997 Grundig World Cup #1 Stellenbosch, RSA Elite Cannondale /VOLVO 2nd 18 94% 5:30.37

http://mtbs.cz/media/clanky/30560/titulka/1_missy_giove_drug_perv.jpg

Did you read the interview with her in Dirt?

She's a bit of a loon but she's got damn good style. Some awesome shots of her. I can't think of a current female WC rider that looks that natural on a bike.

She's a bit of a loon but she's got damn good style. Some awesome shots of her. I can't think of a current female WC rider that looks that natural on a bike.

A Female version of Sam Hill

I raced the citizens race at the 97 Grundig in Stellies.......steel Diamond back, RST forks and had one of those brake boosters made by Acor up front......

bit like this

the next year at the WC I bought some Magura hydro rim brakes.......#stateoftheart

Purple ano FTW!

A bit nuts you say? Would that be because of the mummified piranha on a chain or the enormous amounts of weed she tried to smuggle across the Mexican border?

I guess either would do...

1994 Paarl Nationals DH - riding a Giant Yukon hardtail with plastic cantilever brakes, and 1/2 inch of non-existent elastomer travel

and 1996 Ferncliffe Nationals DH - riding a Diamond Back Axis TT hardtail with 1.5 inches of SWEET Marzocchi XC 500 air oil front travel

I might be mistaken, but those two guys standing by the hay stack look alot like Patrick Morewood and Andrew Smale?

and 1996 Ferncliffe Nationals DH - riding a Diamond Back Axis TT hardtail with 1.5 inches of SWEET Marzocchi XC 500 air oil front travel

I remember going to a National way back in the day when 1 of the DH guys came off on that section, it was either the bridge or the tree but he got rushed off to hospital pretty quick.

I might be mistaken, but those two guys standing by the hay stack look alot like Patrick Morewood and Andrew Smale?

Yebo that is correct - and the dude sitting on the Haybale is Paul Walton - Fabian Barels Mechanic and Manager when he used to race World Cups

I remember going to a National way back in the day when 1 of the DH guys came off on that section, it was either the bridge or the tree but he got rushed off to hospital pretty quick.

That was Mike Van Zyl - he was racing for Schick Cannondale at the time - Faceplanted the metal grating on the bridge. Go to Hospital - Do not pass go - do not collect 200!

bit like this

I was also at the citizen race in 97 at Stellies. Got a second place after coming off right at the start in the first switchback ..... riding a blue Trek y-glide with a manitou triple clamp fork that had a massive 100mm of travel !!!!!!!