Bicycle touring in SA?

Tigershel

I'm a South African who's been out of the country for 18 years, and may be spending a few months there soon.

When I lived there, I had a bike, but never rode that much, and was never involved in any cycling club or formal rides, so effectively I'm a noob. :-)

I'm not sure where else to post this, so here goes.

Are there any forums, websites and so on that cater to bicycle touring in SA?

I've got a good self-contained touring setup right now that I've used for shorter tours in the US and SE Asia, based on a recumbent trike. However, the cost of flying the trike to SA round trip may be a little prohibitive. Are there any online dealers or places like eBay or Craigslist that would be recommended for picking up a new or used affordable touring setup (bike, rack/s, panniers)? I don't want anything fancy or expensive, just something reasonably comfortable and not too slow that can get me about 4000 km.

Is there any recommended mapping / routing system? I've used Google Maps and OSM in other countries, and the USA has the ACA with their long distance route maps and most states provide basic cycling maps and often online information.

Camping: are there any information sources for camping? I can stay on the road longer if I can come cut down on accommodation costs.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Tony

Guest DieBees

A mouth full.

Hope you get all the info. Im sure you have come to the right place.

I'm a South African who's been out of the country for 18 years, and may be spending a few months there soon.

When I lived there, I had a bike, but never rode that much, and was never involved in any cycling club or formal rides, so effectively I'm a noob. :-)

I'm not sure where else to post this, so here goes.

Are there any forums, websites and so on that cater to bicycle touring in SA?

I've got a good self-contained touring setup right now that I've used for shorter tours in the US and SE Asia, based on a recumbent trike. However, the cost of flying the trike to SA round trip may be a little prohibitive. Are there any online dealers or places like eBay or Craigslist that would be recommended for picking up a new or used affordable touring setup (bike, rack/s, panniers)? I don't want anything fancy or expensive, just something reasonably comfortable and not too slow that can get me about 4000 km.

Is there any recommended mapping / routing system? I've used Google Maps and OSM in other countries, and the USA has the ACA with their long distance route maps and most states provide basic cycling maps and often online information.

Camping: are there any information sources for camping? I can stay on the road longer if I can come cut down on accommodation costs.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Tony

Touring bike & peripheries / components etc - buy outside SA for better options and better pricing - as long as you're not going to be paying duty on bringing it into SA. SA bike shops are focused very much on the sporting side of things.

Mapping - Google Maps covers SA pretty extensively now. There's not a whole lot that isn't covered road-wise. Not sure about a comprehensive off-road resource, but it sounds like you're not really looking for that.

Online campsite / camping resource for SA - I'm building one at the moment actually, and there are a few resources out there - just google it, here's one : http://campsa.co.za/

Have a look at the website: cycletouring.co.za. Talk to Grant - he is very knowledgeable and helpful. You will find his contact details on the site.

Happy touring!

Thanks guys, I'll follow up on the advice.

I'll follow up with Grant once my plans are more concrete, and the CampSA site looks extremely useful.

Hi friend

I wish to join you on your tour. I have cycled from beitbridge to Durban in 2010 I was approx 100 km a day I was not alone though, the tour was approx 1400 km .please let me know when you in sa so we can to this together.

Hi there, would also like to join you if possible, have done a few tours in SA.

Let me know what your plans are.

Thanks for all the offers for company and also the information.

I'm still planning this, it is dependent on me having to go back to SA to sort out passport and a few other things, as well as visiting friends and family (Joburg and Eastern Cape).

The likely date will be some time in January, and I'll have about 6 weeks, maybe more to ride.

I was thinking of a route from Joburg to the Eastern Free State, then heading down to East London for a week or two, then down to Jeffreys Bay, and then returning to Joburg to crate up the cycle.

One slight issue with group rides is that on the trike I'll be slower up hills, maybe a bit slower on flats, and faster down hill and into the wind than an equally (un)fit rider on a diamond frame bike.

I'll post here once I get my plans sorted.

Thanks for all the input.

BTW, this is what I'll probably be riding, 2009 ICE Q recumbent tadpole trike: http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z463/tshelver/Trike%20Travels/IMG_20131020_112910_zpsde8ca235.jpg

Longest day on it so far is 180km, but I'll be breaking 200 km in the next week or so.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Currently here, but starting up a business, so the time for a tour is somewhat lacking at the moment...

• 1 month later...

Currently here, but starting up a business, so the time for a tour is somewhat lacking at the moment...

Hi, will you consider selling me your Touring bike as in the photo if it's still available?

post-86478-0-50501400-1497170802_thumb.jpg

ok.. so a bit off topic.

I'm planning a mini bike-tour in scotland (starting next week).  Only planning on doing longish day-trips (150-200km's) at this stage, but enough to need a few extra's such as a camera, rain jacket, hiking shoes, bike lock etc. which I won't be taking on a normal training ride.  Not really up for a backpack, so looking for a small (below the toptube type of) bag that can fit my road bike.

I only have Thursday afternoon and Friday (public holiday...) to shop around in Jozi, so I don't have the world of time to drive to places that don't stock the stuff.

Which shop(s) would you recommend to get this type of stuff?

ok.. so a bit off topic.

I'm planning a mini bike-tour in scotland (starting next week).  Only planning on doing longish day-trips (150-200km's) at this stage, but enough to need a few extra's such as a camera, rain jacket, hiking shoes, bike lock etc. which I won't be taking on a normal training ride.  Not really up for a backpack, so looking for a small (below the toptube type of) bag that can fit my road bike.

I only have Thursday afternoon and Friday (public holiday...) to shop around in Jozi, so I don't have the world of time to drive to places that don't stock the stuff.

One stop shop for Bicycle Touring in South Africa is www.cycletouring.co.za. I bought some cool gear from them.

ok.. so a bit off topic.

You could also speak to Andy Masters of Massive Adventures (google) He's up to date on the wahts and wheres of kit availability in SA 

Archived