Outsurance sues cyclist

sharkbait

Slightly off topic, but still relating to cars and cyclists/pedestrians.

Did anyone hear the debate yesterday/Monday on 702 (Jenny's show) relating to Sonya Laxton's hit 'n run accident on Sunday morning?

One attorney/lawyer stated that the victim (in this case Sonya, but Burry's name could fit into this debate too), has no recourse to sue the driver, as the Road Traffic Act (or the RAF) compensates the victim in terms of medical bills, loss of income, etc, etc., etc. and prevents any civil action against the accused.

The sad fact, in that the driver gets away with it (maybe a fine and a slap on the wrist) and the victims (or their families) have to deal with the consequences.

The RAF is there in case you get hit by someone who cannot afford insurance. The RAF, from that point of view is an excellent system. The SAPS now need to do their part and lay criminal charges against the driver.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Broker: AON

Underwriter: Santam

Premium: 3/5 a bit on the pricey side.

Service & payout: 5/5 I get a replacement quote and they pay less the excess. I haven't had many claims but the ones I have had have been sorted out without any issue. My bikes don't need to be specified and are covered for theft and damage under the household all risk policy for their replacement value.

Your bike cover will probably only cover loss on the property and if they get damaged or stolen whilst off your property they will not pay out. Make sure they also covered for out and about... Big difference in premium

OK guys...care to PM me with broker details...I am also tired of dealing with companies directly.

Any brokers here on the Hub? Also looking for life & disability cover, and medical aid too...

OK guys...care to PM me with broker details...I am also tired of dealing with companies directly.

Any brokers here on the Hub? Also looking for life & disability cover, and medical aid too...

+1

Shameless plug... I am an independent broker in life, investment and med aid. Have close ties to a dedicated and very very professional short term insurance oke.

You sir will have a PM on Monday (Should you be comfortable dealing over the phone/email with a Joburger)

Shameless plug... I am an independent broker in life, investment and med aid. Have close ties to a dedicated and very very professional short term insurance oke.

Maybe you and I need to go for a ride sometime and talk insurance rather than mountain bikes, then you can deduct the Reign X from tax as a work vehicle! :clap:

Maybe you and I need to go for a ride sometime and talk insurance rather than mountain bikes, then you can deduct the Reign X from tax as a work vehicle! :clap:

What makes you think I haven't already?!

:ph34r:

Your bike cover will probably only cover loss on the property and if they get damaged or stolen whilst off your property they will not pay out. Make sure they also covered for out and about... Big difference in premium

not so.. Santam are actually really good..I must say... crashed my bike recently and tried putting in a claim and they actually paid out no fuss whatsoever in fact they paid out with a few hours of lodging my claim ..but do all your claims through your brokers that may be the trick ... anyway saying that, insurance is tricky cos now something else might happen and they might not pay out ..the whole things a bit like gambling.............

Case is taken further next week. I'll update as soon as I know more

Please do. This sounds like Outsurance taking a fat aggressive chance.

not so.. Santam are actually really good..I must say... crashed my bike recently and tried putting in a claim and they actually paid out no fuss whatsoever in fact they paid out with a few hours of lodging my claim ..but do all your claims through your brokers that may be the trick ... anyway saying that, insurance is tricky cos now something else might happen and they might not pay out ..the whole things a bit like gambling.............

Well I'm not sure what trick your broker is pulling but with any insurer they will cover any bike to the insured value if it's stolen from the property your household insurance covers. If you want cover for the bike when it leaves the property and for accidental cover you need to specify the bike as an out and about all risks item. That extra cover will be a separate monthly amount, obviously bundled with the rest of the cover you pay each month. Maybe check your insurance itemized schedule or ask your broker how much you pay for the bike portion of your cover.

Well I'm not sure what trick your broker is pulling but with any insurer they will cover any bike to the insured value if it's stolen from the property your household insurance covers. If you want cover for the bike when it leaves the property and for accidental cover you need to specify the bike as an out and about all risks item. That extra cover will be a separate monthly amount, obviously bundled with the rest of the cover you pay each month. Maybe check your insurance itemized schedule or ask your broker how much you pay for the bike portion of your cover.

oh I was misconstrued ...the bike bike is under full all risk everywhere and is a separate itemised payment like you said. Its not a fancy bike or anything so it is not expensive. ie it is insured for a low amount as it was not an expensive bike. So you are correct sir its just as you said.

Not always eh skylark. Some insurers require you to list items that are portable possessions regardless of your addition of "all risks" and will only pay a set max if the item on question (bike / cellphone etc) are stolen from home and they are not listed. The all risks portion generally refers to financial loss suffered as a result of anything but theft.

Archived