Raleigh MTN Team MTB

abcdefg

What about the trek 3500? Also can someone give me a dummies overview of the components? Is shimanoo good?

Hi

But how good/bad is this bike? Is it perhaps cheap because of the MTN sponsors...

To answer your question directly.

The bike is very, very bad. It is without doubt not worth even the purchase price.

No, MTN do not subsidise the price. It is a cynical attempt to con people.

I think this is the one. As per the Makro catalog. These bikes are only good enough for the schoolboy commuter. Wasting your money if you want to use it for anything else.

I disagree. That, IMO, isn't even a bicycle.

Step on it before it multiplies.

To the OP: You will not enjoy the sport on that bike. Borrow one from a mate, rent one from somebody, steal one if you must, but DO NOT buy that thing.

You will derive far more enjoyment from cutting up a pile of hundred rondt notes and flushing them down the loo.

What about the trek 3500? Also can someone give me a dummies overview of the components? Is shimanoo good?

An infinitely better buy.

DOn't confuse the old generation Raleighs (pre 2012) and the new ones (post 2012). The previous generation were assembled in PE under liscence to Raleigh. They were good value bikes with good quality specs. They supplied the MTN Cycling Team with bikes (hence the branding on the bikes). In this era, these bikes won more SA races than all the other brands put together.

Raleigh UK withdrew the naming rights and decided to import their own bikes directly. Now, with the exception of a few high end bikes (which are over priced), the Raleighs we get are the rubbish supermarket specials.

To answer the op. If that bike has MTN colours, then it it probably is the previous Raleigh and will have the same pedigree that gave Cherise Stander, malcome Lange, Kevin Evens, Jacques Fullard and a few others I have forgotten SA titles.

DOn't confuse the old generation Raleighs (pre 2012) and the new ones (post 2012). The previous generation were assembled in PE under liscence to Raleigh. They were good value bikes with good quality specs. They supplied the MTN Cycling Team with bikes (hence the branding on the bikes). In this era, these bikes won more SA races than all the other brands put together.

Raleigh UK withdrew the naming rights and decided to import their own bikes directly. Now, with the exception of a few high end bikes (which are over priced), the Raleighs we get are the rubbish supermarket specials.

To answer the op. If that bike has MTN colours, then it it probably is the previous Raleigh and will have the same pedigree that gave Cherise Stander, malcome Lange, Kevin Evens, Jacques Fullard and a few others I have forgotten SA titles.

I think it's been established that it's the Makro version. What you say here is all true, just not of the bike in question...

That is the Raleigh MTN that was raced a few years agopost-9851-0-65295100-1385055222_thumb.jpg

Wow XT Cranks... not the Raleigh you will find at Makro :P

my 1st "restarted" cycling bike was a makro special.

1st wheelie off a pavement broke the saddle, fell and buckled the wheel.

as the people that braai with their fingers say.

"Goedkoop is duur koop"

Aaaaahhhh.....now I get it.

When he referred to MTN, it wasn't the MTN cycling team, but rather Makro's referrence to MTN. Makro's reference actually means MounTaiN (mtn) bike. It is an abreviation

Edited by Eugene

There's no pictures. I assumed that perhaps with the MTN branding it's free advertising so it's cheaper. I can't find any information online. I'm new so don't want to invest a lot to see if I enjoy the sport

Don't buy anything then.

You are in Gauteng. Go to your nearest local bike park and pay the R150 to hire a bike for a few hours and go ride the park trails a few times to see if you like it. You'll know after the first ride if this is for you. If you find yourself making arrangements to go for a second ride than it is time to start looking for a bike of your own.

When that happens remember that you get what you pay for. Lots of very well specced second hand 26ers to be had for very little money nowadays. Check out the classifieds.

It is MTN not as mountain but MTN. But ya it seems like it's just a normal makro bike painted in MTN branding

It is MTN not as mountain but MTN. But ya it seems like it's just a normal makro bike painted in MTN branding

As mention avoid it, rather look for a decent 2nd hand bike.