How much oil in brake line

awesme

Hi guys

Going to be swapping out the generic standard brake lines on my wife's Cannondale and my Pyga tonight with Jagwire lines.

Just wondering, how much oil does a normal length line hold, say for the back brake.

(Wanting to make sure I have enough oil in syringe).

G

Mmmmmm I gues that I assumed that you are using a standard brake bleed syringe. My bad if you are not. Not that it will matter though, what you don't use just empty back into the bottle! What brakes are they, by the way?

Shimano XT on my Pyga

Avid Elixir 5 on the Cannondale.

Both getting Jagwire Hi-Flow lines.

G

Mmmmmm I gues that I assumed that you are using a standard brake bleed syringe. My bad if you are not. Not that it will matter though, what you don't use just empty back into the bottle! What brakes are they, by the way?

Hi guys

Going to be swapping out the generic standard brake lines on my wife's Cannondale and my Pyga tonight with Jagwire lines.

Just wondering, how much oil does a normal length line hold, say for the back brake.

(Wanting to make sure I have enough oil in syringe).

G

you 100% sure its oil ?

Hi

Curious, step 4, where I bleed the air out of the calliper... would this not pull air into the calliper from the new empty brake line.

As I see it, step 3, strap brake level, isolating master cylinder, then remove air from calliper, step 4, then remove toe strap from brake level and fill line step 5.

If I follow this I first bleed the calliper and then fill the line.

G

Very good procedure for bleeding Avid brakes, I have used this on 2 of my bikes and it works well (if you have the Avid bleed kit). Not sure if this same procedure will work on the XT's, I have not needed do try it yet.

http://www.parktool....e-bleed-service

Hi

Curious, step 4, where I bleed the air out of the calliper... would this not pull air into the calliper from the new empty brake line.

As I see it, step 3, strap brake level, isolating master cylinder, then remove air from calliper, step 4, then remove toe strap from brake level and fill line step 5.

If I follow this I first bleed the calliper and then fill the line.

G

Hi G

The first thing that I would do is connect an empty syringe to the lever bleed port and a half full syringe to the calipre bleed port and then push the oil from the syringe at the calipre end through into the syringe at the lever end. This should push most of the air out the system. Then proceed with the bleed procedure.

Was thinking something likewise.

Do the syringe prep for the syringe at the calliper as per the videos, connect empty syringe at the top (brake lever) and fill the system, and then do the entire bleed procedure.

G

Hi G

The first thing that I would do is connect an empty syringe to the lever bleed port and a half full syringe to the calipre bleed port and then push the oil from the syringe at the calipre end through into the syringe at the lever end. This should push most of the air out the system. Then proceed with the bleed procedure.

Good advise, will do, now which one first, mine or the wife's?

oops, guess the wife's since it is already wheels off and in stand.

G

I would suggest to do 1 bike at a time so you don't end up with 2 unusable bikes ;)

Was thinking something likewise.

Do the syringe prep for the syringe at the calliper as per the videos, connect empty syringe at the top (brake lever) and fill the system, and then do the entire bleed procedure.

G

Yip that should do the trick. Do you have an Avid bleed kit? A bit expensive, but worth it if you have a few bikes to take care of.