Earning Discovery Vitality Points via MTB events

Uthuli

I've only just reached gold this year, so best I do it for next year. Does only reaching Gold now, mean I still only have to do Gold for another two years to get to Diamond?

Yep yep! And you need to do gold for every year thereafter in order to maintain Diamond.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to this thread I reached Gold in about 1 week. 50% of my points came from downloading my Garmin activities. Also went to Dis-chem for a Health Check (cost was covered by medical aid)

Isnt it only 15000 from fitness activities? And that includes gym?

On Closer analysis my breakdown was as follows;

- Get Active: 18,600 (Gym 5,400 / Garmin Upload 10,650 / Event 2,550)

- Know your health: 21,000

- Non smoker: 5,000

Isnt it only 15000 from fitness activities? And that includes gym?

used to be 15,000 base points max, and 15,000 max bonus fitness points. That's changing from next year as well...

used to be 15,000 base points max, and 15,000 max bonus fitness points. That's changing from next year as well...

Changing too?

What constitutes "base points", versus "bonus fitness points" ?

IMHO .... the Discovery www is *** !

No one seems to mention the other pretty big vitality reward, Kulula (and BA) flights and car rentals. That is freaking huge for me, we're talking 30% discount right there. No other airline can beat that believe me, i tried ;-) .

As for getting gold without carry over is still relatively easy, this year for me:

Know your Health : 23000 (filling in all the online surveys and doing the weight/glucose/cholesterol/HIV test at Clicks) . Didn't cost me anything, even the HIV test is an instant finger prick type test nowadays.

Make Healthy CHoices : 5000 (non smoker)

Get Active : 21800 (pretty much maxed this one out after like 5 MTB events, get an additional 5000 bonus after 5 events etc) . I am still getting like 500 points per event or so, but it seems pointless since there are no carry over or any higher target. I even do the Parkruns (free 5km runs) and well, the limit of this segment is a bit low, or they need to give less points hehe ;)

So that's more than 45000 needed for gold. I didn't even do any of that biokinetics/fitness types of tests.

Edited by silvertemplar

I got the gold a few years ago, but never figured how or what go carried over, it seemed I was back to zilch, and the benefits of Gold are short lived because the year clocks over .... or how does it work?

Discount on flights will make it worth while, yet to book 3x for the Argus, so keen to get it sorted again, but its Decermber already!

I was on bronze in march. I logged all running and bike events for both myself and my wife. Also polar downloads are automatic via the polarpersonal trainer website to discovery.

also earn healthy points via pick and pay. Are now gold for a few months, sitting on 115 000 points. Was quite easy to avhieve

I was on bronze in march. I logged all running and bike events for both myself and my wife. Also polar downloads are automatic via the polarpersonal trainer website to discovery.

also earn healthy points via pick and pay. Are now gold for a few months, sitting on 115 000 points. Was quite easy to avhieve

Also do the walk in asessment at the discovery centres. Earn a lot of points for that and do all the online tests

I got the gold a few years ago, but never figured how or what go carried over, it seemed I was back to zilch, and the benefits of Gold are short lived because the year clocks over .... or how does it work?

Discount on flights will make it worth while, yet to book 3x for the Argus, so keen to get it sorted again, but its Decermber already!

No, if you get Gold in 2013, you will be Gold Status for the entire 2014. The status that you gain in a specific year is your status (for rewards/discounts) for the following year.

It doesn't matter if you reach Gold in Jan 2013 or Dec 2013, you will have gold for a full calendar year. The catch 22 with this is, if you are on Silver in 2013, and you do all the tests and reach Gold, you will only be on Gold in 2014 no matter what, you will be on silver until the end of 2013.

So in your personal case, you still got time....you got until 31 Dec, if you hit 45k points you are sorted for 2014.

Normally on their website you will see that you have a "current" status (i.e. Gold) and then a "Next Years' Status" which is what your points is going towards.

Edited by silvertemplar

No, if you get Gold in 2013, you will be Gold Status for the entire 2014. The status that you gain in a specific year is your status (for rewards/discounts) for the following year.

It doesn't matter if you reach Gold in Jan 2013 or Dec 2013, you will have gold for a full calendar year. The catch 22 with this is, if you are on Silver in 2013, and you do all the tests and reach Gold, you will only be on Gold in 2014 no matter what, you will be on silver until the end of 2013.

So in your personal case, you still got time....you got until 31 Dec, if you hit 45k points you are sorted for 2014.

Normally on their website you will see that you have a "current" status (i.e. Gold) and then a "Next Years' Status" which is what your points is going towards.

Incorrect. As soon as you log the points, and get to the threshold, you are Gold / Silver etc. So if you hit Gold in January (not likely anymore, but in some cases it is possible) then you are a Gold status member. You don't have to wait until the end of the year before it becomes official.

Your status carries over to the next year, where you have to get the same amount of points in order to maintain the gold / Silver / bronze status. If you just sit and do nothing, your status will revert to Blue at the beginning of the next calendar year.

EG:

Start in 2013 0 points (Blue)

By End March: Gold (45,000 points)

Status carries over to 2014

January: gold Status, 0 points

No points allotted in 2014 (for illustration purposes)

December: 0 points, therefore carry-over for 2015 is that of Blue - you did not maintain GOLD for the year.

January 2015: Blue Status, 0 points.

Incorrect. As soon as you log the points, and get to the threshold, you are Gold / Silver etc. So if you hit Gold in January (not likely anymore, but in some cases it is possible) then you are a Gold status member. You don't have to wait until the end of the year before it becomes official.

Your status carries over to the next year, where you have to get the same amount of points in order to maintain the gold / Silver / bronze status. If you just sit and do nothing, your status will revert to Blue at the beginning of the next calendar year.

EG:

Start in 2013 0 points (Blue)

By End March: Gold (45,000 points)

Status carries over to 2014

January: gold Status, 0 points

No points allotted in 2014 (for illustration purposes)

December: 0 points, therefore carry-over for 2015 is that of Blue - you did not maintain GOLD for the year.

January 2015: Blue Status, 0 points.

Aah ok, guess i misunderstood that bit. So technically it means if you hit Gold in January of a given year, you are Gold for 2 years (which doesn't quite makes sense to me, but it's good to know they give you that leeway).

In my case, i am diamond status, and to maintain diamond status you need to keep up the gold status every year, so can't do the "hit gold once every 2nd year" thing.

Edited by silvertemplar

Aah ok, guess i misunderstood that bit. So technically it means if you hit Gold in January of a given year, you are Gold for 2 years (which doesn't quite makes sense to me, but it's good to know they give you that leeway).

In my case, i am diamond status, and to maintain diamond status you need to keep up the gold status every year, so can't do the "hit gold once every 2nd year" thing.

Yep. That is indeed the way it works.

Because you earned the status, they give it to you. It wouldn't be worthwhile if you started from Blue at the beginning of each year, complete with the level of "rewards" you get as a Blue member. It would have too many repercussions from a Life Cover & benefit payment perspective.

Plus, you have sorta earned it as well. And they give you a full year to earn it again, with the full rewards of that status.