Earning Discovery Vitality Points via MTB events

Uthuli

is that not the FNB cashback vs Vitality? i could be wrong

Not sure but although I had a FNB homeloan, I had to do register the Vitality with FNB to get the cash back. I had to pay several years ago R3000 for it but getting back 580 per month for ten years I think it works for me.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is that not the FNB cashback vs Vitality? i could be wrong

Nope. It was a benefit they ran together for a while. If you had vitality you got the equivalent of (I think) a 1 - 2% reduction in your bond rate by getting cash back into your account or bond.

Fnb and discovery canned it cos it was hectically inefficient from their side, and the reward was too big to survive. The guys that got it and kept it have a really really really good deal.

Nope. It was a benefit they ran together for a while. If you had vitality you got the equivalent of (I think) a 1 - 2% reduction in your bond rate by getting cash back into your account or bond.

Fnb and discovery canned it cos it was hectically inefficient from their side, and the reward was too big to survive. The guys that got it and kept it have a really really really good deal.

Yip. Ask me. Have been getting back every month for the past 7 years. 3 years to go still

So ... from next year they have canned the carry over points, does anyone know if they will up the fitness points, makes it harder to stay on gold without the carry over points?

Just done the online test, must I do the test again in January ?

Also the Dischem health test, I had planned to do this next week. Should I rather wait till January ?

Check on the website, some of the test you have to do a couple months apart, like the physical fitness test, twice a year, 5 months apart. Can't remember off hand what the online and health checkups are.

So ... from next year they have canned the carry over points, does anyone know if they will up the fitness points, makes it harder to stay on gold without the carry over points?

Don't think so. Have not had a look at all the Vitality stuff for next year. It just means that you will have to go for all the checks now to ensure you stay on gold/diamond status. One has to bear in mind the reason why they have the Vitality benefit. It is to get you to take preventative measures to keep you health on track. If like in the past you have to do the minimum to get to gold in kinda defeats the objective.

The cashback on my homeloan is a big one for me. Getting back R580 back per month just on that is well worth it for me.

The cash back on my fuel rewards, the boost in my life insurance, the Discovery miles, the partner rewards etc is what does it for me. A few years ago, I cursed Discovery because I always ran out of savings by June and I could never get close to silver. Gold was a pipe dream...

Two years ago I enlisted the services of a Discovery broker who helped me restructure my investment portfolio and everything has been golden (pun intended) since then. Gold status for the last two years without relying on logged races or gym visits. Clear instruction from his assistant as to what needs to be done. Just do as she instructs and Gold is a guarantee.

You need to understand how it works and get it to work for you.

The cash back on my fuel rewards, the boost in my life insurance, the Discovery miles, the partner rewards etc is what does it for me. A few years ago, I cursed Discovery because I always ran out of savings by June and I could never get close to silver. Gold was a pipe dream...

Two years ago I enlisted the services of a Discovery broker who helped me restructure my investment portfolio and everything has been golden (pun intended) since then. Gold status for the last two years without relying on logged races or gym visits. Clear instruction from his assistant as to what needs to be done. Just do as she instructs and Gold is a guarantee.

You need to understand how it works and get it to work for you.

Yip. Several years ago I never bothered about Vitality until one day I decided to take on this Vitality thing. Drew up a spread sheet with all the points I can gather and started an action plan.

Hit gold that same year and from then on maintained it. I was part of the first group that went to Diamond and still maintained it with ease.

Now moved to Discovery Insure a year ago and also happy with it. Yes the premiums on the cars are more expensive that with other insurance companies. But with the fuel cash back and the free tracking it makes up in huge chunks.

If you have a blood test for diabetes in the month of November you get double points, because it's diabetes month or something.

Yip. Wife and I went for our checks on Friday. Added a quick 25 000 points to the tally. Diamond status confirmed for 2014.

Yip. Wife and I went for our checks on Friday. Added a quick 25 000 points to the tally. Diamond status confirmed for 2014.

What did that cost you? Not done the diabetes test, So just to confirm, will all my points disappear and I start from zero next year should I rather wait till next year if that's the case?

Nope. This year (2013) the fitness points allocated to each fitness assessment were reduced from a max 15,000 per assessment to 7,500 per assessment. Last year you got 7,500 for just pitching up for the assessment.

They're putting a lot more focus on enabling / forcing people to engage and make healthy choices. The inclusion of the VitalityFit app (android / iOS, Blackberry etc) makes it more possible for non gym-goers to log fitness points and get to the annual maxiimum fitness point allowance, which remains at 30,000 (including bonus points)

They're essentially trying to get people away from their sedentary lifestyles. Where previously all you had to do was a fitness assessment per year and the screening checks, they're ensuring you actually DO something to improve your health in order to get to where you need to be.

What did that cost you? Not done the diabetes test, So just to confirm, will all my points disappear and I start from zero next year should I rather wait till next year if that's the case?

Should be in the region of about R 200 or so, unless you are on a med aid in which case it will be free of charge (unless the doc charges a consultation fee, in which case that will come off your savings or your back pocket)

If you're already on Gold for this year then wait till next year. If you stiill need points to reach gold for this year, then do it. Then do it again in Feb / March so you have it sorted for the year.

Should be in the region of about R 200 or so, unless you are on a med aid in which case it will be free of charge (unless the doc charges a consultation fee, in which case that will come off your savings or your back pocket)

If you're already on Gold for this year then wait till next year. If you stiill need points to reach gold for this year, then do it. Then do it again in Feb / March so you have it sorted for the year.

I've only just reached gold this year, so best I do it for next year. Does only reaching Gold now, mean I still only have to do Gold for another two years to get to Diamond?