Chapmans Peak

Little Scott

I.m.h.o. Chapmans Peak is as safe to ride as it has been for any number of years. The point is that I'm not a highly overpaid engineer / Enteleni executive / minister of transport that is afraid to take responsibility and make a go / no-go decision. It is all too easy to do NOTHING, pass the buck, twiddle your fingers. If you make a decisive call, it can always backfire and bite you, if you avoid responsibility, you can always wriggle out of it. That is what is happening here. If this was an essential transport artery, with users screaming blue murder because they are losing money, this road would have been open the very next day. But it isn't, and that is why it is taking so long. The debris was cleared within a day after the floods and the road was passable. It could have been open for use "at your own risk" ever since then. What is now delaying officially opening it is nothing but RED TAPE!

I am a highly overpaid engineer and my advice is wait for the geotech report.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sooo...Was / is the damn road open or closed at the time?

Its a simple as that....it should not be open for interpretation by every second tjom, dick n citizen.

Its called obeying the law, following the rules.... even if you don't agree with it.

Get real

All we need is a big rock to flatten one of you then we will have the whole whine winge rant and rave how the authorities are not doing their job to protect you

Get off the road.

Really !!! These risks are everywhere in life especially if you cycle public roads........A BIG rock can flatten you or A BIG bus can flatten you and so on.....

The point is you decide to accept these risks and use your own judgement.

The road is for use "AT YOUR OWN RISK" at all times!!

Pedestrians can access Chapmans Peak road from a multitude of foot paths?? There are NO signs to stop them??

Its a simple as that....it should not be open for interpretation by every second tjom, dick n citizen.

Its called obeying the law, following the rules.... even if you don't agree with it.

I see in the OP's second last paragraph it says that the guy went and shouted at the guard in his hut and then proceeded to put tape across the road.

This would suggest two things.

1. There was a guard posted at the beginning of the road and he made no attempt to stop the cyclist from entering.

2. The road was not blocked off as shown by the fact that he then went and blocked it off with the red and white tape.

Very true, but try to explain this to the folks on the e-toll thread... :whistling:

Very true, but try to explain this to the folks on the e-toll thread... :whistling:

Only a non-gautenger would say something like that... :ph34r: hahaha

I see in the OP's second last paragraph it says that the guy went and shouted at the guard in his hut and then proceeded to put tape across the road.

This would suggest two things.

1. There was a guard posted at the beginning of the road and he made no attempt to stop the cyclist from entering.

2. The road was not blocked off as shown by the fact that he then went and blocked it off with the red and white tape.

Yeah maybe they did not do a good job of making it obvious that the road is / shoulda been / was closed.

BUT

Even from 10'000 km away and from basic DF gleaned from online news articles took it for granted that the road was closed for repairs due to storm damage....

Anyway wtflip, if people want to risk their lives on a road that is subject to potential landslide type issues...so be it...

Ja BUT that's different....Road tax like all things tax are open to avoidance..... which is kind of what people should be doing with that road...avoiding it

hehehe

I am a highly overpaid engineer and my advice is wait for the geotech report.

Some of my best friends are engineers...... ;) (But I still think they can get-a-move-on now.)

Really !!! These risks are everywhere in life especially if you cycle public roads........A BIG rock can flatten you or A BIG bus can flatten you and so on.....

The point is you decide to accept these risks and use your own judgement.

The road is for use "AT YOUR OWN RISK" at all times!!

Pedestrians can access Chapmans Peak road from a multitude of foot paths?? There are NO signs to stop them??

:thumbup: :thumbup: .......go ride your bike up there ....with a bit of luck there will be a slip and that will be the end of that.Take your old bike tho so your mates can inherit your fancy one

Ja BUT that's different....Road tax like all things tax are open to avoidance..... which is kind of what people should be doing with that road...avoiding it

hehehe

We'll see about that from tomorrow!

:thumbup: :thumbup: .......go ride your bike up there ....with a bit of luck there will be a slip and that will be the end of that.Take your old bike tho so your mates can inherit your fancy one

Go live in your cave you MIGHT be safe there

Go live in your cave you MIGHT be safe there

Just not Osama's cave ... they know where that one is

Just not Osama's cave ... they know where that one is

But by the time they found it, he'd moved to the 'burbs...

But by the time they found it, he'd moved to the 'burbs...

He must have gone over Contantia Nek ... only way from Hout Bay to the 'burbs ...

Archived