Disagreeable Cassette Noise

Louis for real

Need some advice please

When in the lowest three gears on my rear sproket

The following noise happens

ggrrrtt grrrtt grrrtt-

the chain was cleaned and properly lubed this morning before going out to ride.

I was thinking it might be the bb?but why then only in the low gears?

any advice will be appreciated.

You not cross chaining by chance? Sure it's not the front derailure? Shouldn't be a noise like that but never know what weird things could be happening...

When you put it in the big blade and the 11T at the back, does the chain sit up against the FD? It is possible that the front derailleur is not shifting far enough over when engaging the big blade, this could either be the limit screw that needs adjusting and/or the tension in the FD cable needs to be increased.

Else is the cassette lock ring tight?

You not cross chaining by chance? Sure it's not the front derailure? Shouldn't be a noise like that but never know what weird things could be happening...

HAHA no guy :) no this is middle ring front uphill kind of gearing stuff.

When you put it in the big blade and the 11T at the back, does the chain sit up against the FD? It is possible that the front derailleur is not shifting far enough over when engaging the big blade, this could either be the limit screw that needs adjusting and/or the tension in the FD cable needs to be increased.

Else is the cassette lock ring tight?

Just to check if we on the same page. when i mean lower gear it is middle front 36t in back-(larger mechanical advantage)

I dont know about the lock ring how will i know?

Just to check if we on the same page. when i mean lower gear it is middle front 36t in back-(larger mechanical advantage)

I dont know about the lock ring how will i know?

Okay, then do the same thing with it in the small blade and the 36T. If it catches the inside plate of the FD, then either adjust the other limit screw and/or decrease the tension in the cable (by rotating the barrel adjuster at the shifter, clockwise. Anti-clockwise will increase the tension.) There should be a 1mm gap between the chain and FD side plate.

Once you have done this for both the small blade + 36T and the big blade + 11T, put it into the middle ring and see if it still catches the FD. (If this is the case.)

Since you say that it is at the 28-32-36 end of the cassette, I highly doubt it would be the lock ring then. But if you still want to check it, you'll need a tool like in the image below in order to tighten the lock ring (which is black in the image.)

http://www.singletracks.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/lockring-tool1.jpg

Okay, then do the same thing with it in the small blade and the 36T. If it catches the inside plate of the FD, then either adjust the other limit screw and/or decrease the tension in the cable (by rotating the barrel adjuster at the shifter, clockwise. Anti-clockwise will increase the tension.) There should be a 1mm gap between the chain and FD side plate.

Once you have done this for both the small blade + 36T and the big blade + 11T, put it into the middle ring and see if it still catches the FD. (If this is the case.)

Since you say that it is at the 28-32-36 end of the cassette, I highly doubt it would be the lock ring then. But if you still want to check it, you'll need a tool like in the image below in order to tighten the lock ring (which is black in the image.)

http://www.singletracks.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/lockring-tool1.jpg

WOW Thanks for the info.

yet the sound is not caused by the chain rubbing the fd.

it happens when i put pressure on the pedals going up a hill...

it happens when i put pressure on the pedals going up a hill...

It could be so many things: loose QR skewers, creaking seat post/chain ring bolts/headset bolts/BB.

Best advice would be to tighten or grease the components listed above one by one to see if you can find the culprit.

edit: sp

Edited by Helpmytrap

thanks :thumbup: , il keep that in mind. its definitely a mechanical sound. so either BB(have had two recent wet rides) or lockring.

ill check it out in the morning.

Check that your top jockey wheel has enough clearance from the cluster. There is a screw at the back of the derailer to adjust this

Also check your hanger, maybe the chain is not running true through the jockeys. Might be scraping against the sides of the RD

Edited by paarlmtb

Middle gear front and 36t back?

So you are cross chaining then?...... If the noise happens at the acceleration of your pedal stroke and is not constant it could be a few things..

The front chain ring could be making the noise as the chain is pulled straight on the angle.

It could also be the RD setting being either slightly too flat (what the dude above said while I was typing) or again the angle of the chain irritating the cage and the jockey wheels.

If its a new (ish) shimano RD check that the chain isnt dragging on the little tab on the cage between the jockey wheels when under pressure.

If you check and do everything mentioned in this thread by everyone, then PM me and we can talk about getting you a real bike that has no FD or RD, a straight chainline and has more teeth on the chain ring than on the free body..... :ph34r:

Is this a recent occurrence? Check your free hub body. There could be a crack. If that goes while on a ride, it could be a long walk back. ........ it happened to me.

If it happens when you're climbing hills could it be that you're using granny gear in front and smallest gears at the back...which is a no no?? In that case your chain would be rubbing against itself because there is no tension on the derailleur if your chain is too long.Did you install the chain yourself??

Middle gear front and 36t back?

So you are cross chaining then?...... If the noise happens at the acceleration of your pedal stroke and is not constant it could be a few things..

The front chain ring could be making the noise as the chain is pulled straight on the angle.

It could also be the RD setting being either slightly too flat (what the dude above said while I was typing) or again the angle of the chain irritating the cage and the jockey wheels.

If its a new (ish) shimano RD check that the chain isnt dragging on the little tab on the cage between the jockey wheels when under pressure.

If you check and do everything mentioned in this thread by everyone, then PM me and we can talk about getting you a real bike that has no FD or RD, a straight chainline and has more teeth on the chain ring than on the free body..... :ph34r:

not to the extent of 42t front 36t back though and the front chain ring has never made this noise...Checked for any drag first... and i have not yet grown hair on my teeth for one of those real bikes :)

Is this a recent occurrence? Check your free hub body. There could be a crack. If that goes while on a ride, it could be a long walk back. ........ it happened to me.

Yes only started on saturday while out on my weekly red router.

If it happens when you're climbing hills could it be that you're using granny gear in front and smallest gears at the back...which is a no no?? In that case your chain would be rubbing against itself because there is no tension on the derailleur if your chain is too long.Did you install the chain yourself??

Just to clarify guys and meant light hearted, i have been riding for quite a while and know the do's and dont's wrt chain lines and gearing so no gongmesh this is not the case :)

Check that your top jockey wheel has enough clearance from the cluster. There is a screw at the back of the derailer to adjust this

that was the first thing i checked.

Edited by eye i