Race Day Wheel Rental IM Special - From R999

OnTheFly Wheel Hire

So here's an interesting comparison - My wife is off to Kona in October and we will be there for about 2 weeks, so I figured what the hell I'll take my bike over. That will be $300 sir for the bike, unless you can fit it into a smaller bag, then its free. I'm taking my old Giant OCR training bike, so I reckon if I leave the wheels here in SA, and just pack the bike I can get it in a nice small bag, and hell, I'll rent a set of cheap wheels in the US. Cheapest wheels I can find are Fulcrum Zero's at a whooping $25 per day :eek: So for the whole 14day period, wheels alone will cost me around R3600 and they are not even fancy carbon ones. Makes the HED's seem like a bargain at that price. BTW Cheapest bike I can find is a Trek at $35 per day (Alu/Carbon).

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So here's an interesting comparison - My wife is off to Kona in October and we will be there for about 2 weeks, so I figured what the hell I'll take my bike over. That will be $300 sir for the bike, unless you can fit it into a smaller bag, then its free. I'm taking my old Giant OCR training bike, so I reckon if I leave the wheels here in SA, and just pack the bike I can get it in a nice small bag, and hell, I'll rent a set of cheap wheels in the US. Cheapest wheels I can find are Fulcrum Zero's at a whooping $25 per day :eek: So for the whole 14day period, wheels alone will cost me around R3600 and they are not even fancy carbon ones. Makes the HED's seem like a bargain at that price. BTW Cheapest bike I can find is a Trek at $35 per day (Alu/Carbon).

Well it is Kona and a big cash cow for the island - im sure the prices are inflated for the race. Also $35 is lunch and a beer which in SA terms would be R100, which is not bad for a rental bike.

Andy Andy Andy, you are missing the point of going to Kona as a partner. Do what we did. Hire a big convertible Mustang and simply cruise the course with the glasses on as Ri works up a sweat.

I would suggest that if you want to train with her, for the swim get some seriously big fins to help you keep up.

On race day make sure she sees you as she gets out of the water and on the initial loop and then head off to the beach bar world class mojitos. Make sure your out before she heads in for the run and you have the 42km to sober up on and cheer her across the finish line.

Andy Andy Andy, you are missing the point of going to Kona as a partner. Do what we did. Hire a big convertible Mustang and simply cruise the course with the glasses on as Ri works up a sweat.

I would suggest that if you want to train with her, for the swim get some seriously big fins to help you keep up.

On race day make sure she sees you as she gets out of the water and on the initial loop and then head off to the beach bar world class mojitos. Make sure your out before she heads in for the run and you have the 42km to sober up on and cheer her across the finish line.

Sadly the Mustang wont fit in 2 bikes boxes - However a Dodge Avenger will....

As for support, I've already told her that if she see's some drunkard running on the course in nothing but an SA flag blowing on a Vuvuzela she shouldn't be embarrassed......

Sadly the Mustang wont fit in 2 bikes boxes - However a Dodge Avenger will....

As for support, I've already told her that if she see's some drunkard running on the course in nothing but an SA flag blowing on a Vuvuzela she shouldn't be embarrassed......

The mustang will take one bike box which alleviates the vexing question of hiring wheels for yourself. Money saved can be spent on aforementioned mojitos.

I reckon this is a great idea, have often wanted to use a set of wheels for a Tri and never really want them again. Will be calling on you as Iron Man 2015 looms closer I reckon.

As to the cost, Iron man entry is 4700 , accommodation, etc etc etc add it all up and it is an expensive exercise. Taken in that context the rental of wheels is a relatively small amount.

Good luck with the business

better save me a set bru, I need for a few races - Trirock, 5150, 70.3 and IM

Getting some nice FATBIKE wheels just for you!!! can't have my competition go faster than me... :clap:

Just check with the airline about paying extra for your bike. Don't know why, but when you fly to the USA, you have an allowance of 2 pieces of checked baggage. If you notify in advance, they are often willing to convert one of your baggage pieces to "oversize". Hence, you can take a bike for free.

Not sure if anything has changed, but I have flown my MTB to Alaska in 2010 in a full size bike box without paying a cent extra.

I reckon this is a great idea, have often wanted to use a set of wheels for a Tri and never really want them again. Will be calling on you as Iron Man 2015 looms closer I reckon.

As to the cost, Iron man entry is 4700 , accommodation, etc etc etc add it all up and it is an expensive exercise. Taken in that context the rental of wheels is a relatively small amount.

Good luck with the business

Thanks IceCreamMan.

Surprisingly enough the wheels were booked up so quickly for 70.3 and IM this year. 2 weeks before Sold out.

So for 2015, the bookings will go as quick as the entries.

will bring in more versatile sets next year due to windy conditions.