Android video editor?

Squier

I've been struggling to find a decent Android video editor to put my GoPro stuff together. Anyone here use something on Android that works well? I know there are some good stuff on most other platforms, so I find it hard to believe that Android is lacking so much in this area.

Android....are u sure? Why would you want to edit GoPro videos on Android, a smartphone OS? Also unedited GoPro clips are usually pretty heavy RAM eaters (large files with high resolution).....need more info.....

Edited by capediver

I want to use my galaxy tablet to edit my gopro clips. Simple stuff like cutting where I want, merging multiple movies, adding a soundtrack, titles, etc. Nothing major, yet I'm unable to find an app that can do these simple things.

Nothing is simple with video editing. It's one of the biggest resource eaters of all applications, CPU and RAM. I think you're maybe being a bit ambitious trying to do this on a tablet.

Squier, Richie makes a good point: best done on a PC with something like Abobe Premiere Elements. There is also their more fully fledged CS2 Suite free for d/l now, if you can find it, pm me.

I can see why the OP would like to do this. If you are travelling, and space is a priority, you may only have a tab/smartphone and your gopro. Like uploading video to youtube from a multi-day stage race for example.

What format does gopro video come in?

(and something like this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mvideocut edits the actual clip on a remote server, so bandwidth might be a problem, but it requires very little processing power on your device. I don't know if this would work for the OP, but just as an example.)

Edited by Cellar

One of the problems/challenges with editing video is the source files are hooj, esp. if HD

Yeah, I see that from the forums. The guys are getting past that with decent size sd cards it seems. One guy even talks about using a 500gb hd via an OTG cable.

Thanks for the replies.

I understand it's resource intensive but was hoping I could do this on my tablet. Just because it's pretty convenient. I have an app that can cut and merge video and that worked pretty well. I was able to cut the pieces of an hour or so's footage and merge it into a 15 minute clip. Surely that's the resource intensive part? All I want to do now are straight forward things like add a title and a couple of tunes, but that does not seem to be possible. Adding one mp3 is possible in some apps, but more than one not. I just find it peculiar that with all the thousands of apps, there's not one that can do all of this.

Ahhh, OK, well best search Google Play for a video editor. It will most likely be very basic, snipping and trimming will be easy but your challenge will be getting the footage rendered as it will soak up all the CPU of the tablet. GoPro format is mp4 so there should be something out there that can handle this. Also options for rendering in different formats and resolution may also be limited for Android apps. Google will help....http://mashable.com/2013/06/05/video-edit-apps/

• 9 years later...

Has anyone figured this out yet?  I recently bought a gopro for a bike trip to Portugal next month and I'm definitely not intending to take a PC along.

I get the point that the files are large, but with my drone (Mavic Pro) I can easily view and edit the footage on a phone, but GoPro Quick cannot even play the videos (taken in 4K, so not overly large), let alone cut, crop and trim.  There's also no way that I can see in the GoPro Quik App to reduce the resolution to be able to do this.

If anyone has some tips & pointers about how I can go about daily edits on my tablet whilst I'm in portugal it would be great.  If I'd wait until I'm back to try and edit through hours of video footage, I will likely never get to the point of making a little film about the trip.

Pretty frustrating having paid R12k for a camera with mounts, but your device can't even play the footage back.

19 minutes ago, rudi-h said:

Just installed it.  It won't open the GoPro files.  Said the file format it not supported?

4k os your problem

drop to 2.7k and everything will go smoother and actually work half decent 

1 hour ago, BaGearA said:

4k os your problem

drop to 2.7k and everything will go smoother and actually work half decent 

Thanks

Is there a way to get the 4k stuff downsized to 2.7, or do I need to download to PC?