[Event] Ride 4 Burry

Wyatt Earp

If anybody gonna need a bike or two let me know now and I can get them in running condition .

You are a scholar and a gentleman......having experienced your generosity first hand :thumbup:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bicycle Safety SA ‏@bicyclesafetysa

The ride in memory of Burry Stander on the 3rd of Jan '14 at 18:30 from Groenkloof Plaza up Fort Klapperkop will be at snail's pace. The Road Rangers @SafetyMarshals will be there, ready as always to make it a safe one #iRide4Burry

Edited by nathrix ® ©™

Going via George Storrar, Fountains circle, R21 then up Klapperkop or is the route lengthened with a detour ?

Going via George Storrar, Fountains circle, R21 then up Klapperkop or is the route lengthened with a detour ?

Going via Gerge Storrar -> Circle and R21 too hectic with all the traffic. We want to make the ride as safe as possible, with the least traffic interference. Also want to make the ride doable for most people.

Snail's pace going up Baines St then left in Herbert Baker St then right in Rigel Ave then right in Perseus Ave then right in Aries St then right in Johann Rissik Dr al the way up to the memorial spot then 1 minute silence in memory of Burry Stander, some chit chat and then back down the same way and have some coffee somewhere.

Will map the ride on the garmin and post it here before the 3rd. Any other suggestions welcome.

Rigel has a cycle path for that part so should work well. Pressure points will be crossing Rigel when turning into Perseus and may need to regroup at the top of Perseus after the incline :-)

Groenkloof is a good starting place. Only other options I can think of is Monument Spar on Skilpad rd, then Orion and Carina into Rissik.

Or Waterkloof Lifestyle Centre in Cliff Ave, then Muskejaat, Orion, Carina, Rissik. Advantage of this one is parking a the Dros, Mimmo and Romans for after the cycle.

I know nothing of organizing these things so will stick to your plan!!

The ride STARTS at 18:30

Many people from Joburg are joining the ride.

Summery of route:

Starting at Groenkloof Plaza, we ride at snail's pace going up Baines St then left in Herbert Baker St then right in Rigel Ave then right in Perseus Ave then right in Aries St then right in Johann Rissik Dr all the way up to the Burry Stander memorial cross, then 1 minute silence in memory of Burry Stander, some chit chat and then back down the same way and have some coffee at cafe 41 or pizza at Del Forno or both.

There will be at least 4 marshals on motorcycles to keep us safe, thanks to Road Rangers

post-4329-0-48872500-1388338212_thumb.jpg

post-4329-0-11640300-1388338225_thumb.jpg

post-4329-0-10424600-1388338252_thumb.jpg

Don't forget to bring your climbing legs. Will be a very slow ride to the top and it shouldn't take more then an hour to get to the memorial cross. The ride back down shouldn't take longer then 30 minutes at most. Hope to see plenty supporters and we should do this every year, we must never forget a legend! Bring helmets, lights, bling, tricycles, unicycles, rusty old bikes, etc. Just be there :)

Looks like there will be a ride on the 6th of Jan in Balito:

Thanks to @coachruss1 for donating a bike we will be putting up a ghost bike 6Jan in Balito. 17:30 just outside holla trails.

Don't know of any being organized elsewhere, if you know of any, post them here.