Aurasan 2014

Speed Racer

Now THAT'S good advice, I shall remember.

It's way OT - but this article is a good read:

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2013/07/training/checking-your-intensity_59521

What struck me is how similar their "low intensity" days are to an Audax ride. Which then makes sense why regular fuel works fine - you're burning low and slow, and fat burning, so you have time to take in and digest proper fuel. Racing and high intensity, then sorry, energy drinks are probably the unpleasant but necessary evil to perform well.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's way OT - but this article is a good read:

http://triathlon.com...intensity_59521

What struck me is how similar their "low intensity" days are to an Audax ride. Which then makes sense why regular fuel works fine - you're burning low and slow, and fat burning, so you have time to take in and digest proper fuel. Racing and high intensity, then sorry, energy drinks are probably the unpleasant but necessary evil to perform well.

I will read the article but that reminds me of the LCHF/Banting/Tim Noakes eating plan. What works for me is plain water when riding low intensity or short distance but as soon as I get my heart rate up, good o'l Cytomax is the bomb!

Thanks, appreciated and will have a read this eve!

I will read the article but that reminds me of the LCHF/Banting/Tim Noakes eating plan. What works for me is plain water when riding low intensity or short distance but as soon as I get my heart rate up, good o'l Cytomax is the bomb!

Thanks, appreciated and will have a read this eve!

Very definitely not LCHF - I'm a total carb burner and have zero discipline with diets. Have been curious about LCHF but way too lazy and undisciplined for it (several club mates do it). But just because you eat carbs plus fats and proteins, doesn't mean your body can't work itself into a fat burning mode over long sustained period of low intensity exercise.

Edit: should note, I'm no scientist, just my observed experience from long rides

Very definitely not LCHF - I'm a total carb burner and have zero discipline with diets. Have been curious about LCHF but way too lazy and undisciplined for it (several club mates do it). But just because you eat carbs plus fats and proteins, doesn't mean your body can't work itself into a fat burning mode over long sustained period of low intensity exercise.

Edit: should note, I'm no scientist, just my observed experience from long rides

I hear you.

LCHF is working fine for me (don't want to highjack this thread) but I am down from a horrible 125kg last August to around 110 now and still falling, thanks to LCHF.

What works for me is to introduce some carbs the night before a big ride, as well as at breakfast and Cytomax on the bike and I can feel the difference in that in my lower HR zone I am burning fat but at higher levels, say 90% HR, the glucose is there....Pure LCHF and drinking only water on the bike, I found I ran out of steam and had to cut short my rides.

I just read the link (fascinating stuff, thank you) and it kind of dovetails nicely with what Neal Henderson is saying in that your base is fueled largely by fat and a smaller extent by carbs, and the higher HR to a greater extent by Carbs?

I think we may be getting off topic here but in this way I have done long rides (130km in the Cradle), with only 2 energy bars................whereas in the past I would get off the bike hungry, no matter what I ate...............I also believe digesting food saps energy so the more you can depend on fat stores, the less you have to digest, which may be a plus for Audax type long distance at low HR?

PS, I am no scientist either.Just my sample of one, experience.

Any Hubbers doing the 200 or 400 next Sunday?

I have been toying with the thought of the 200 as pre-argus training but not keen to do it on my own (being female and all), and guess I will be too slow for you ;)

I have been toying with the thought of the 200 as pre-argus training but not keen to do it on my own (being female and all), and guess I will be too slow for you ;)

Afraid can't help with the 200 - but I am not fast to put it mildly, so if you're thinking of the 600 there'll be at least one other who enjoys, let's call it, a more relaxed pace ... ;)

Afraid can't help with the 200 - but I am not fast to put it mildly, so if you're thinking of the 600 there'll be at least one other who enjoys, let's call it, a more relaxed pace ... ;)

Hahaha, I am so far away from being able to do 600 ;)

SpecialK

I was serioulsy considering doingf the 200 but wasn't too keen to do it alone either........although much of my training is solo.....My other worry was picking up an injury before Argus, and was looking at the one after..........Distance wise I have been ok with 95km so far and did 130 last Saturday at average of 23 km/hr so should be ok..............

What do you think?

SpecialK

I was serioulsy considering doingf the 200 but wasn't too keen to do it alone either........although much of my training is solo.....My other worry was picking up an injury before Argus, and was looking at the one after..........Distance wise I have been ok with 95km so far and did 130 last Saturday at average of 23 km/hr so should be ok..............

What do you think?

We've been getting 15-20 riders for the 200km rides. The guys doing this are of varying abilities. Finishing times range between 7 and 11 hours. There should be a group to suit your pace. Awesome Argus training.

SpecialK

What do you think?

I managed to do about 90km through the cradle at about 23km/h last week. Planning to do a double loop tomorrow, for about 130km. Depending how I feel I will decide on whether I will be brave on the 23rd.

Feel like hooking up for the 130?

O usually ride from Something Country.....

Could do. I normally ride from home in Bryanston, gives me an additional 10km to get to Broadacres. What time did you want to start?

Could do. I normally ride from home in Bryanston, gives me an additional 10km to get to Broadacres. What time did you want to start?

I like to park at Something Country as can stash extra bottles in car and park outside, plus Rhino and Lion Park (Neck and Deck) have a cold water dispenser (secret blown lol).

I'll pop you a PM with my details.

Plan to get to Something Country at around 06:00 or whatever suits....?

• 2 weeks later...

Any one know how the 400 went yesterday? I passed the group while riding the Carnival City, and chatted for a short while.

Any one know how the 400 went yesterday? I passed the group while riding the Carnival City, and chatted for a short while.

Group finished at 1955. 16h55 for the 400.

Archived