GoPro 3+ Black vs Garmin VIRB Elite

peterjohn

Just sold my GoPro Hero 2 and was going to get the 3+ but then I heard about the new Garmin VIRB...

NOW WHAT?

Anyone used both that can add some advise on which way to go?

Thanks

hmm i am a gopro fan but that VIRB looks awesome, priced to compete with the 3+ from what i can find, i think i would give it a go. only issue i can see is it being difficult to sell if you want due to it not being a gopro, but i guess thats the same with almost every camera out there that isnt a gopro.

Look at the DC Rainmaker reviews. He liked the VIRB and the battery life was a lot better. A mate has got one and would trade my GoPro3 for the VIRB in a flash.

I bought a Virb in early December, and so far I can't fault it. I can't compare it to a GoPro, because I have never had a GoPro, but it does the job for me.

good thread to follow: i'm also weighing up VIRB vs Hero 3+ black edition. I lean toward the 3+ because of its established pedigree in the field of action cameras. It's the benchmark without a doubt.

However, I'm very much liking the integrated aspects of the VIRB: being able to add performance statistics using the provided software is a major plus. You can do the same thing with a GoPro, but it requires an independent means of obtaining the performance data, and then another independent means of mashing it all together.

1 versus 3? VIRB wins hands down in that department. But it does mean i have to buy ANT+ speed, cadence and power meters. Bit meh, but a small additional cost if I ignore power for the moment. Barometric pressure measurement is also more accurate than GPS based altitude determinations, so another nice plus if you into data integrity and all that.

I think i just convinced myself to get the VIRB ;)

In the market for a camera, which one would you guys suggest? Want to use it specifically for safety on the bike.

From you tube it looks like the Go Pro has sharper images.

Edited by Admin
Merged similar threads

IMHO..

Virb is cool if you have a garmin you can connect it to, and plus side is it has a screen, so you can see what you're deleting if you need some memory space on the trail. I'm also a bigger fan of the Virb mounts etc. Gopro is sometimes hassles. Its also a wee bit cheeper.

Gopro flagship (Black Edition) definitely has better imaging, if you have the computer to handle it at its highest setting, and have a need for 4k videos you can go for it. It's a well put together machine with disappointing battery life, as most of our toys. Depending on what you use it for, the two different shapes of the cams also have their small advantages respectively.

I, as your average consumer, like to see vids there and then so I can show me gram-gram, and am not hoping for any cinematography awards so don't need any more vid quality than Virb gives. I don't care about the billion settings GoPro offers, but if you're gonna use them goForit :lol: . I like pushing the button and seeing cool details about my activity on screen that no one really cares for.

BTW, I have a GoPro, and it's awesome. I've seen Virb and like it more for us average Joe's that don't really go Spielberg that much.

You won't far wrong either way really, action cams are awesome!!

Happy shopping man!

How does the integration with the Garmin GPS devices work? Playing with my 800 this am I see there was an option to link to a Virb.

Wanted a virb too but went for gopro due to accessories, compatibility with my phn and support. Its been around for years... Garmin also around for years but the virb is new and will surely have some teething probs. in about a year it might be worth it.

Tech fact , never buy the 1st itraration

All the gopro mounts work on the virb or drift camera's with a simple adapter mount... for me it was between Hero+ black, Virb Elite and Drift Ghost-S - decided to get the Drift Ghost-S... better slo-mo than the Virb, bigger screen, better battery life, lens can rotate -> more mounting options - much much much better user interface than the Gopro... better remote... the list goes on... need a dive case if you want to dive, but the std drift is 3m rated vs the garmin's 1m... std drift has extra back door with proper 3.5mm mic input if you want to use an external mic for film projects where with the virb you have to buy an extra non standard cable to use an external mic...

Best all round camera Drift Ghost-S - also 35mbps - and Drift has been in the game a long time.

BTW... if you want the Virb for the speed/HR/altitude overlay, you might as well get the std virb as the editing software allows you to integrate any garmin file and add overlay data to your video when editing... all the Virb Elite does is add the data realtime and offers wifi to a phone.

• 4 months later...

I have a Virb Elite. The thing for me is that the GoPro is just a video camera. With the Virb you can experience more in the sense of what the user/player experienced during the event as it has the GPS Location, Speed, Cadence, HR, Altitude, Water Level, G-Force etc build into the footage. So the viewer can experience, or understand the footage better than the footage of eg. a GoPro.

If the Virb is for example on your helmet, you can control it from your Edge unit, so you can either put recording on or off and you can click on your edge and take a photo. The virb system setting is also available through an app on the App Store or Play Store.No need for extra casings as the unit is waterproof as is.Loads of mounts available online at http://www.rammount.com/NewProducts/GARMINVIRBActionCameraMounts/tabid/4940/Default.aspx?utm_source=The+RAM+Mount+Newsletter&utm_campaign=963401ca0c-Garmin_VIRB&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b73781a915-963401ca0c-94702025

Edited by janneman72

I was in for the Virb elite for the reasons given but then got a good deal on a Hero 3 Black and could not justify the extra R2 k for the Virb. So far pretty happy with the Go Pro. Overcast autumn days seem to be the best for filming - camera hardly has to adjust between shade and open areas and resolution does not suffer too much in poor light.

Im keen on a VIRB Elite and see Dion Wired has them for R4500, is that a good price?

• 3 weeks later...

Also still undecided, Virb vs. Hero 3+ etc.

Any new Virb users venturing an opinion perhaps?

Thanks