Best full suspension for around 25k?

StevieL

Hi

There is a giant advanced 2013 available on the Hub fr 26k the Scott 950 over priced and under specced, last year could get 940 new with better components than 950 fr 22k. Scott lower number denotes better bike the 910 is their top model.2014 new bikes are being hit by the devalued rand therefore better to buy 2013 model 2nd hand or new at lbs.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same thing last year, luckily my budget was little higher around 35k, but could not find anything close to the Anthem Advanced.

If I had 25k to spend, no question, the Anthem X1 without a doubt. Best suspension in the business. This bike is happy with the smooth gravel as well as the gnarly stuff. It was the only 29er 100mm travel bike in the Trail Bike of the Year 2013 finalists. That says a lot.

http://www.bikeradar...em-x1-11-40872/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNENJFxwpfE

I didn't realise the Anthem was a trail bike? :huh:

In my opinion these bikes are in the same bracket as in 29er 100mm dually. The Giant seems more versatile because the suspension works so well. It is my opinion that the Giant is probably just a better bike.

Same bracket, different execution. Scott & Merida are definitely more race-focused with their hard-as-nails suspension designs and geometry whereas the Giant is a true mountain slayer. So you're right, but you're also wrong...

I didn't realise the Anthem was a trail bike? :huh:

It's not. It's just that it's THAT good. Like the VIPA isn't a trail bike at all. It's a race-tuned 80mm FS Cross Country bike. But with the way Crow has set it up with the 120mm at the front, it's able to be called a "trail" bike jst because of it's versatility.

If you can get an anthem x1 29er for R25k, which I think you can, you're going to find that you'll need to spend a lot more money than that to get a better bike. There's just about nothing you'll need to upgrade on it. A the price point the spec is spot on with the mainly SLX components. It's just a great bike.

I have a giant anthem x29er which I've had for about 2 years. I put some new wheels on it (which is not really necessary - the stock ones are a bit weighty that's all) and got a dropper post (which is an indispensible upgrade if you ask me). It's been hammered through just about everything and abused in a way that an XC bike is probably not supposed to be, so it's definitely earned it's stripes on the trail. Maestro suspension is both plush and efficient. It you're weight conscious, the frame alone is about a 1/2 kg lighter than anything else in it's class and comparable to some of the carbon frames. If marathon or stage racing is your thing you can't go wrong.

A small criticism is the slightly longer than average chainstay length, but I'm not sure if it makes a noticeable difference. Take the numbers out of it, it's a smooth comfortable ride and handles great in all situations - no problems with tight twisty stuff or hopping etc.

My biggest single criticism is the Overdrive2 headset which makes it difficult to upgrade the fork or change stem.

Scour the internet and you'll find there's massive all round user satisfaction for this bike - and not just image fanboys - it's not like Giant is a cool brand and easy to love.

With the rand tanking Giant has kept the pricing compellingly aggressive and the lifetime warranty is the best around.

Another +1 for the Giant Anthem X 1. I have upgraded my brakes to SLX, changed the saddle to a gobi, and popped on some spez tyres for my tubeless conversion. Just bought a dropper which hasn't been installed yet. I Love this bike. It's light enough to keep up with the roadies in the odd Road race, and I find it handles Very well with the spez tyres. It goes over more rough stuff than I have skills for. I fall every time I ride a trail, but the bike just keeps on going.

Or.. Drive along William Nicol early one morning and offer to buy one of the "commuters'" bikes for R500 - you can get Bianchi, Specialized whatever your heart desires..

Silverback Sprada 1. Better spec for around the same price. Bit more of a trail bike 120mm/110m travel. I have one and loving it!

Check out specs here.

http://www.silverbac.../sprada1_14.htm

Also can't go wrong with Giant. Either way you should be happy.

Try and ride as many bikes as possible. I went through the same process last year and ended up choosing the Silverback. In the end it is a very personal choice. No one bike will suit everyone (imho). But then again, what do I know? :w00t:

Here is my bike

post-45256-0-36966300-1389337522_thumb.jpg

Northcliff cycles has a few Trek Superfly 100AL 2013 for 19k. I got one, awesome bike, Rockshox front and rear, SRAM X7 kit.

Includes full set up as well as tubeless conversion.

Edited by PoiZoNouZ