Best Seat post under 1K

Sharky535

I'm in the market for a new seat post and I've been to my local bike shops and they stock the usual brands like Ryder, BBB, Truvative, Syncros and Ritchey.

I had a look at the Syncros FR2.0 and Ritchey WCS wet white.

I'm leaning towards the Ritchey as I can get it for around R800.

Please feel free to give your opinion or suggestions.

Keep a patient eye on the classifieds. I bought a brand new Ritchey Superlogic carbon post (at 180g pretty much as light as it gets without being stupd) for R700 a while ago.

I do pretty serious XC/trail and even Enduro riding with it, and it's been perfect.

Edited by MH for short

I'm in the market for a new seat post and I've been to my local bike shops and they stock the usual brands like Ryder, BBB, Truvative, Syncros and Ritchey.

I had a look at the Syncros FR2.0 and Ritchey WCS wet white.

I'm leaning towards the Ritchey as I can get it for around R800.

Please feel free to give your opinion or suggestions.

KCNC Scandium ... its got some 8000 markings on it if memory serves me correct.

I dont see it often, my browneye is not for looking

I Really like my Fizik seatpost,

Think its got one of the best clamps around and have no worries of it breaking.

Love my Thomson Elite(s - have one on both my bikes). I looked at that Scandium KCNC thingie... and it did look a bit flimsy to me... but seriously light! (And from memory, the one I saw was not within the mentioned budget - but I may be confusing two prices.)

And no, I'm not all that heavy, that's just one area where I want to be as sure as I can be to have reliability. :eek:

I bought a PRO seatpost for my training bike. It was about 20g heavier than the carbon one which is on my race bike, but importantly was only about R300 :eek:

Works like a dream!

A seat post is a seat post is a seat post.

As long as it holds the saddle and doesn't break, any brand will do. The weight difference between the brands is negliable and won't affect your performance.

Just get the cheapest one in the colour that best matches your bike.

I bought a PRO seatpost for my training bike. It was about 20g heavier than the carbon one which is on my race bike, but importantly was only about R300 :eek:

Works like a dream!

And PRO are a DAMN good brand.

A seat post is a seat post is a seat post..

Not true.

• Some are light, some are heavy. If you're building a bike using a basket of components where each lighter option saves you 100-150g (the Superlogic on my bike ended up something like 100g lighter than the Syncros it replaced), you can end up with bike that's 1.5kg lighter in the end. Regardless of whether you believe in the Weight Weenie gods, you can feel this when you take it for a spin. Granted, if you don't care and the rest of your bike is loaded with mid-range, mid-weight stuff, this wouldn't really matter to you.
  • Some clamping mechanisms suck. I've used terrible creaking and constantly loosening posts in past. It can get @#$ing annoying.
  • Some posts are machined/cast to tighter tolerances than others. Assuming that your frame is in fact perfectly sized, a post that's iffy ends up creaking. Just as annoying as the previous point.

I've found that Thomson posts as an example score pretty highly in relation to the last two points, they're worth the extra bucks.

Thomson Elite

I like my Ritchey WCS Carbon too, but thats more expensive.

I had a look at the Thomson Elite now and it looks cool and all but I'm still leaning towards the Ritchey.