Doing 2 x loops of the Argus

Garfield2010

These illegal "second lap" people should indeed be spotted and banned from doing the Argus. They are the ones who come in between the back markers, who enter for doing the race for fun. They shout left left and irritate the hell out of the legal riders of those back groups.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These illegal "second lap" people should indeed be spotted and banned from doing the Argus. They are the ones who come in between the back markers, who enter for doing the race for fun. They shout left left and irritate the hell out of the legal riders of those back groups.

Yes, you're right, you have the right to ride however you want and ignore people that are faster than you. In fact, you should probably just try and block them from passing. Who the hell are they to ask that you abide by the rules of road cycling?

All kidding aside, by not keeping left you're being more of an idiot than people that ask you to move left.

So will then need to start at 07h00.

JGR will you guys be doing a long ride on the Saturday as well? (training for IM)

Maybe I can rather do a 5 hour ride on Saturday and then just 1 x Argus...............

Pre 07h00 start is quite easy - by that time they are in double digits already.

We can ride on the sat before - maybe a shorter ride and go and do a long swim up at Silvermine or I can introduce you to the Atlantic .....

Pre 07h00 start is quite easy - by that time they are in double digits already.

We can ride on the sat before - maybe a shorter ride and go and do a long swim up at Silvermine or I can introduce you to the Atlantic .....

The water is bloody cold there. And there are sharks.

I will know on Monday if I am doing the Argus for sure.

Yep Frail does multiple loops. i think he did 4 loops last year, (crazy man). if you want to do it legally. then enter twice and get 2 start cards. you can even get time for both. Like prev said .. start before 7. sub 3 and last start group is at 10.

if you dont wnetr teice or miss the last start group.... remove your tining chip and you can join the route in Westlake. they would have opened the M3 the traffic shortly after the last start group leave. they usually publish road closure times.

Good luck... 1 lap is more than enough for me .....

Funny but I kind of agree with you. This is the Argus. 35,000 cyclists. Most people who start after 10 are not seasoned racers and this is a bucket list race so they don't necessarily understand the cycling etiquette / rules. I mean it is not as if it is written down and given to them beforehand.

If you do a second loop you should not be nasty towards these guys no matter where they ride.

Then rather ride the race once between the front groups/.

I'll be mailing the organisers to find out exactly if and how this can be done. I just want to do a 2nd lap for a friends charity, and don't have an issue paying for the additional entry. I think riding it twice without the additional entry is perhaps a little sly.

The issue with faster riders coming past shouting left left left while passing the slower riders will happen either way, there are charity groups that ride sub 3:15 times starting at the back...i was part of the Qhubeka group at 94.7 that was riding for a sub 3 along with a couple of their pro riders (EDIT: we started in GG)...the guys capable of doing these times are more often than not the more behaved riders.

Edited by lucmccann

I'll be mailing the organisers to find out exactly if and how this can be done. I just want to do a 2nd lap for a friends charity, and don't have an issue paying for the additional entry. I think riding it twice without the additional entry is perhaps a little sly.

The issue with faster riders coming past shouting left left left while passing the slower riders will happen either way, there are charity groups that ride sub 3:15 times starting at the back...i was part of the Qhubeka group at 94.7 that was riding for a sub 3 along with a couple of their pro riders (EDIT: we started in GG)...the guys capable of doing these times are more often than not the more behaved riders.

Bottom line is we all need to respect one another. Only then can we expect motorists to respect us. If someone rides dangerously (roekeloos) that's something different all together. If you ride for a charity and start at the back whilst actually being a sub 3 hours rider then expect the road to be clogged all the time.

Bottom line is we all need to respect one another. Only then can we expect motorists to respect us. If someone rides dangerously (roekeloos) that's something different all together. If you ride for a charity and start at the back whilst actually being a sub 3 hours rider then expect the road to be clogged all the time.

I'll always tell people to get left with respect.

If you start at the back of the Argus, irrespective of your capabilities, you can expect it to be clogged...or so i've heard, i've never actually ridden it.

Just be polite and aware of the fact that the 10.30 starters do not ride bicycles very often. Expect a certain amount of Brownian motion and zero pacelining - must hurt like hell for these peeps when the wind blows.

I did it twice a while back for St Luke's Hospice - got people to sponsor me per km - worked out quite nicely for everyone.

The water is bloody cold there. And there are sharks.

I will know on Monday if I am doing the Argus for sure.

Just give the sharks the Garf claw!

The shark attacks happen on the false bay side and there are plenty things on Clifton second to get your blood pumping afterwards

I've done a second lap 94.7 fixing random ppls punctures and pushing some up hills. It's a beer run at the back, not a race.

And watch out: the backmarkers swerve and stop for no reason, and without warning.

I like that. Put something back into the sport! Making a first timers day by helping them! We need more cyclists like you.

By helping a first (and possibly a last timer) you may have changed his attitude considerably towards cyclists as he will be a driver for the next 30 years.

Just give the sharks the Garf claw!

The shark attacks happen on the false bay side and there are plenty things on Clifton second to get your blood pumping afterwards

The Garf will need something to get him back "onto heat" again after that cold swim.

I've done a second lap 94.7 fixing random ppls punctures and pushing some up hills. It's a beer run at the back, not a race.

And watch out: the backmarkers swerve and stop for no reason, and without warning.

Keep an eye out for lucmaccann - he is a first timer