Advice on first ever MTB - R25k-ish

SiriS

I just did this exercise for a friend of mine.

The two bikes in question were the Momsen SL729 & Silverback Storm.

Silverback is full XT whereas the Momsen was a mix and match of low level SRAM components.

Silverback won.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just did this exercise for a friend of mine.

The two bikes in question were the Momsen SL729 & Silverback Storm.

Silverback is full XT whereas the Momsen was a mix and match of low level SRAM components.

Silverback won.

The Silverback Storm is a beautiful bike. Definitely on my radar as well.

The Momsen SL729 also has R and XT variants it seems, although info is scarce. Also, the one I looked at is R6-7k cheaper than the Storm so some of the SRAM X5/7/9 combination can be upgraded?

Going to check out a few LBS in Southern Suburbs this morning again.

Edited by SiriS

Thanks for all the input, much appreciated. Possibly my last question, I can pick up a brand new 2013 Scott Scale 910 for R26,900. Great looking bike and full XT specs?

What do think?

http://bikeworks.at/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/DSC00936.jpg

Thanks for all the input, much appreciated. Possibly my last question, I can pick up a brand new 2013 Scott Scale 910 for R26,900. Great looking bike and full XT specs?

What do think?

Sorry, the more I dig the more questions pop up...

Scale 910 is 2x10. Better for a beginner to rather go 3x10?

Better for a beginner to rather go 3x10?

Nope, go for 2x10, it'll simplify things.

Then, later on, you can jump to a 1x10 or 1x11 setup if it works for you.

Forgot to mention, the Scale is a very good choice for someone getting started. Why? Because it has the slackest (69.5deg) head angle of all the proper hardtails, so it's quite a bit more stable than the rest of the bunch. It'll inspire confidence on the technical stuff.

(I ride one).

What do think?

http://bikeworks.at/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/DSC00936.jpg

AWESOME bike.....had a scale before, was an Amazing bike!!!!

Hi there

I'm looking at buying a first mountain bike. Mostly XC riding, perhaps a few 2-3 day events later on. Currently looking at hardtail for maximum R25k-ish budget. Not to fussed about alu vs carbon.

I've spent some time looking at bikes at different LBS' around me...and lots of internet research...pretty much overwhelmed at this point. :blink:

Couple of options at the moment, I really like the look of this bike -

Momsen SL729 -

http://www.momsenbik...=178&Itemid=754

http://www.olympiccycles.co.za/uploads/8cf7b5d2f6e24846a35e5e0b99c8ecf1-08042013-11411.jpg

...but there does to be quite a few stories about broken frames so I'm unsure.

Also looking at something like the Scott Scale 940.

Any advice, specific model I should perhaps look at, issues to avoid etc?

Thanks in advance!

Check out the Scott Scale 920 carbon slx/xt mix. I shopped around and paid 23k

Txs to everyone, payment made, hoping to collect this morning. Scott Scale 910 it is. :clap: :w00t:

enjoy the bike :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Txs to everyone, payment made, hoping to collect this morning. Scott Scale 910 it is. :clap: :w00t:

Great bike good choice

Good prices and quite a few options at www.vbikes.co.za. Seems legit from other threads on The Hub...but prices seems almost too low?

I know this comes too late to inform your decission but in case anyone else searches and finds this thread: vbikes are legit (I bought a Scale 940 from them). I EFTed them on a Thursday and when I got home on Sunday my new bike was waiting for me. Just remember for anyone who orders any brand new bike over the net (especially if you are new to the sport): you don't have the luxury of popping into your LBS to get all the little teething probs sorted out as an after sales service.