27.5" or 29" for my size

Nalith

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The benefit you get from upgrading from a 26" to a 650b is negligible.

Rather upgrade to the 29" where the benefit will be far greater.

I would have to disagree with this, having just gone from a Trance 26" to the 27.5", and the differences in the ride are very noticeable for me, only had two rides on my 27.5", and still getting used to it(and the setup) but for me the Trance 27.5" wins hands down.

What a load of marketing cods wallop!

So you have scientific proof to disprove the calculations or are you just talking codswallop?

So you have scientific proof to disprove the calculations or are you just talking codswallop?

codswallop? hehehe first time i heard that :) can only be a cape phrase

Read this article. I think you are making a mistake.

http://www.eleven.cc...ct/#.UsWku2QW2R

I read this article and the motivation for 27.5 wheelsize provided by Giant (referred to in this article as "shamefull tosh" - their spelling not mine).

I can't really say I find this article to be any more scientific than Giant's. I did my own thinking on the what giant had to say at the time and came to the conclusion that although there are factual inaccuracies, their arguments do generally seem to hold up. They essentially motivate that that 650b is closer to 26'' where 26 is strong an closer to 29er where 29er is strong.

http://www.thehubsa....gy/page__st__48

Caveat: The part on the contact patch is a bit flawed and needs a bit more thought.

Had my 650b for 5 months now, cost me over 35k to assemble, trying to sell it for 20k now!

At northerns the 29er going to kill, at retvlei the 650 maybe better in the wooded sections. It's up to u, but I can remember any of the 18 races I did last year not won on a 29er! The terrain didn't matter the 9er killed in xc ..

Sorry if this doesn't reinforce the decision.

Why not buy a niner and when terrain require swop to 650 b wheels? Is this possible? I dont think you will be able to put niner wheels on a 650b.

Why not buy a niner and when terrain require swop to 650 b wheels? Is this possible? I dont think you will be able to put niner wheels on a 650b.

The bottom bracket would end up being too low.

I read this article and the motivation for 27.5 wheelsize provided by Giant (referred to in this article as "shamefull tosh" - their spelling not mine).

I can't really say I find this article to be any more scientific than Giant's. I did my own thinking on the what giant had to say at the time and came to the conclusion that although there are factual inaccuracies, their arguments do generally seem to hold up. They essentially motivate that that 650b is closer to 26'' where 26 is strong an closer to 29er where 29er is strong.

http://www.thehubsa....gy/page__st__48

Caveat: The part on the contact patch is a bit flawed and needs a bit more thought.

Yes, there a number of areas that the author ignores or glances over but the the differences between the 26" & 650b are largely insignificant and making the change due to perceived advantages or marketing rhetoric is wrong. There are far bigger gains to be had by going to 29"

That's not to say though that a 650b is not the bike for you if you are purchasing your first bike or you are too small for a 29"

29er or 26er or 27.5 is not height related. Your inner leg length decides on the frame size. you could be a midget and still ride an XS 29er.

Check out this vid:

27.5 will probably cost a little more, while you'll get more bang for your buck on a 29er with a really little amount of difference in feel - mostly slightly better handling in winding single track on the smaller wheel base, better rolling uneven surface with the larger wheel base. But the difference not that apparent. I'd go for 29er because components are more readily available / better priced.

Wow, that video is a pot ***!!!

I really really want the morewood zula 650b.. but my 26"Ghost is hard as nails and just wont give me a reason to buy a new bike.. sigh

Had my 650b for 5 months now, cost me over 35k to assemble, trying to sell it for 20k now!

At northerns the 29er going to kill, at retvlei the 650 maybe better in the wooded sections. It's up to u, but I can remember any of the 18 races I did last year not won on a 29er! The terrain didn't matter the 9er killed in xc ..

Sorry if this doesn't reinforce the decision.

By the same argument, Nino Schurter killed last year on a 27.5, therefore it must be better???? Flawed logic I'm afraid.

It all comes down to personal choice. Schurter found the 27.5 to be better for him, for others the 29 will be better. You cannot definitively say that one is better than the other.