[Event] Tyger Valley MTB Challenge, Presented By SIDI Online

ASG

Event Name: Tyger Valley MTB Challenge, Presented By SIDI Online
When: 22 March 2014
Where: Tyger Valley College, Lynnwood Road, Pretoria East, Gauteng
Category: MTB

The sixth edition of the popular Tyger Valley College Mountain Bike Challenge is scheduled for 22 March 2014. Tyger Valley College is a wonderful mountain biking venue - nestled close to the urban surroundings of Pretoria East, but very much adjacent to some great riding terrain. The College is centrally located off Lynwood Road.

The event offers three distances - 70km, 40km and 20km - which means there is something for everyone. The 70km route boasts an elevation of approximately 1400 metres with 670 metres of climbing and represents a true riding test for avid mountain bikers.

The route, which makes its way out towards Donkerhoek and back, has nice mix of single track and jeep track and also features purposely built trails and bridges.

The most outstanding feature of the route is that it's fast and flowing. A good mountain bike route is all about variety and the Tyger Valley experience offers just that with some fast farm roads to recover as well as exhilarating river crossings. A section of the route runs through ASG's riding park at Rosemary Hill.

Quick Facts:

Venue: Tyger Valley College, Lynnwood road, Pretoria East, Gauteng, South Africa

Route: Mildly technical, Farm roads, jeep track, single track, bridges, river crossings

Elevation: 1400m

Ascent: 670m (70km route)

Distances: 20km, 40km and 70km

Riders who enter on-line will be seeded according to the SASeeding system. If you have a permanent SAS board you can ride with that, but you have to collect your seeding and distance stickers as well as race packs at registration.

The timing is done by Spectrum Sport and riders who don’t have permanent boards will be issued with temporary Spectrum Sport timing boards.

Starting times are as follows:

70km:

A - 7.30am

B - 7.35am

C - 7.40am

40km:

A - 8.20am

B - 8.25am

C - 8.30am

20km:

A - 9.10am

B- 9.15am

C- 9.20am

Entry fees: 70km (R190), 40km (R170), 20km (R130)

On-line entries Close: 16 March 2013

Timed by: Spectrum Sport

Medals to all finishers

Prize giving will take place at 13:00

Number collection:

Riders have to collect their distance and seeding stickers at one of the following points:

Thursday 20 March: Cycle Lab Fourways: 10:00 - 16:00

Friday 21 March: Bruce Reyneke Cycles, Lynwood Road 10:00 - 16:00

Venue:

Eats and drinks will be for sale at the venue, which boasts ample parking and toilets.

DRSA/Global ASP will provide free wi-fi with their technology rig which will be on site on race day.

Red Hot Products will be on hand to wash bikes, but they shouldn’t be too busy with the rainy season have abated by mid-March.

Directions to the venue:

From JHB, take N1 to Pretoria. Exit on Lynnwood off-ramp and turn right towards Pretoria East. Continue on Lynnwood road, over Hans Strydom drive for another 3.5km and Tygervalley College is on your left.

GPS Co-ordinates: 25 48; 06.37 S, 28 22; 11.93 E

For further information on the event, log onto www.asgevents.co.za, email eventsupport@asgworld.co.za or phone 076 621 1807

Go to Event Page

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to tame the Tyger - Entries open for Pretoria East's big MTB Challenge

Mountain bikers have an opportunity to earn their stripes when they try to tame the Tyger Valley College Mountain Bike Challenge in Pretoria East on March 22.

Entries for the event are now open on www.asgevents.co.za.

To enter, click here

The sixth edition, presented by new sponsor Sidi Online, will again burn bright as riders start and finish on the private school grounds off Lynnwood Road.

Route director Darren Herbst says the spectacular feature route, which heads out towards Donkerhoek and back, offers something for every rider – including hardy pros.

“I think its draw is that it’s really fast and flowing with some technical single-track sections. It’s really, really beautiful terrain.

“You’re crossing one or two streams, train tracks, purpose-built bridges and you’re going through culverts – all right here in Pretoria.”

The 70km route – which traverses a section of ASG’s Rosemary Hill mountain bike park – boasts a “breathtaking” elevation of over 1 400m, with a testing 670m of climbing.

Last year’s race was won by young Arno du Toit of the ASG MTB Academy team, who recently took his first national marathon series win at Dullstroom.

At Tyger Valley, he was followed home by veteran national marathon champion Andrew Mclean, with Julius Cobbett third.

The event also offers 40km and 20km distance options for social and family riders, with medals to all finishers.

“The response last year was so good and the riders enjoyed the routes so much that we’re trying to keep them the same as much as possible this year,” says Herbst.

Most of the changes and innovations will be found at the start-finish with lots more family entertainment and refreshment stalls on offer, he says.

“The great thing about this race is that the school is actively involved; the kids not only compete but also help out with marshalling and other activities.”

Participants can have their bikes washed by Red Hot Products, while DRSA/Global ASP will provide free wi-fi with their on-site technology rig.

Registration takes place from 10am to 4pm on March 20 at Cycle Lab Fourways and between the same times the following day at Bruce Reyneke Cycles in Pretoria.

Online entries will be seeded according to the SA Seeding system. Seeding and distance stickers will be isssued with race packs at registration.

Timing will be courtesy of Spectrum Sport and those riders who do not have permanent timing boards will be issued with temporary ones.

Enter at www.asgevents.co.za by March 16.

For more information, e-mail eventsupport@asgworld.co.za or phone 076 621 1807

• 3 weeks later...

Tried to enter online last night but site stalls when i want to pay .Can i enter at bruce,s on friday or on race day .I want to be seeded!

Forgot to enter for this event.

Does anyone know whether they will accept entries on Saterday?

Late entries available at registration. Cycle Lab Fourways today and Bruce Reyneke Tomorrow.

Very tough 70km with all the mud.

Thanks for the great event ASG, think I will do it again next year (I will keep an eye on the weather before I choose a distance)

The mud was a bit of a leg killer but I am happy with my 2h50 on the 70km. The event was very well organised and I will definitely be there again next year.

Bit of a leg killer you say? Awesome time (I was 4h12).

When we hit the long stretches of mud in the beginning some-one was flying past shouting "Keep the cadence up!", that was the best advice for the day!

Edited by johanpre44

Its on the racetec website.

www.racetec.co.za

It does look like each finisher has a duplicate time which they will probably fix some time next week