MTN Qhubeka / Giro wildcards - wtf?

rock

I read on Bike Radar that MTN did not get the wildcard entry into the Giro that they were hoping to get.

Instead the organisers choice to promote Italian teams by giving them the wildcard entries instead.

Pretty disappointing I would say.

Edited by Admin
Merged with existing thread

100%. They declined an intive to apply last year sensibly and are still finding their feet especially in the longer stage races. The Grand Tours are littered with teams that have gone in thinking they are ready and are broken down with in 10 days and left riders who are scared or just surviving to finish.

I hope they get some bigger stagers this year and maybe a run next year. Maybe their full spring program also counted against them.

Unfortunately they were never in the running for this year with only 2 italian registered teams (and italian run cannondale). Truthfully I was surprised that Colombia got a run again after a poor showing last year and that United Healthcare didn't. They are starting in Belfast, US team with irish riders, on italian bikes with italian DS and chance to gain more market in the US.

IAM have been busy telling everyone their main aim is the TdF and with Chavenel / Haussler targeting the Classics who will be left there to head to Belfast? Caja have LL Sanchez and it seems like he is universally avoided by teams and organisers.

The only reason I can think that Fluro got in (apart from crazed,doped and TV worthy attacking from the first stage) is to make sure that carry on, get decent coverage and don't end up folding from the troubles last year.

Well put.