Friends of Magaliesberg

CMK

I went there for the first time this morning, what a awesome discovery and almost on my door step. I want to know more, who is responsible for this excellent trail.

From the sign posts I gathered that Solomon cycles sponsored this trail

This trail starts right above the hoerskool wonderboom.

Edited by CMK

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you give some more detail?

This is what I am after.(more info)

We did a 6km trail with more than plenty of technical sections and climbs. Can see the whole of Pretoria from up there.

I have heard a rumor that this is the first phase and that its going to extend right up to the quarry with some wildlife and high fencing

Finely managed to find a Google group with this info:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/zambesi-cycling-group/7RbTYa8HEVg

"Friends of the Magalies opened a newly built mountain bike track on the Magalies Mountain between Voortrekker road and the N1. The trail starts next to the gate of the Wonderboom South waterworks - that is behind Wonderboom High School. From the South follow the service road to Wonderboom High School, carry on with this road through the gate (it is open and not locked). Keep right and follow the cement road until you reach the gate of the waterworks. The trail start at your right hand side. There is a sign to indicate the start and it finish also nearby. It is a nice flowing track with some climbs.

From the North take Voortrekker road and just passed the top slip into the service road in front of Wonderboom High School turn left and follow the cement road.

The trail turns about at 20th Avenue and we are currently busy planning it up to 30th Avenue. Remember it is newly built so some places is still a little bumpy. We can’t spray the grass in the road at the moment because of the rainy weather but it will be done soon when the weather clears up.

We intend to have a night race on 16 January 2014 and a xxo race on the second week of February 2014.

Please give me feedback and enjoy it. Until further notice it is free but we will later ask a small fee to sustain and expand the trail.

Thank you,

Heinrich Moldenhauer"

• 2 weeks later...

Been riding there for ages while I was still studying in PTA, my buddy and I were prob doing that section from the school to the quarry and back 2-3 times a week! I am glad somebody made it official now, might need to make a trip to PTA for old times sake

I thought I was going to read something about Magalies village here!

Jip sorry man must be Magaliesberg not burg. How can one change the topic name?

• 2 weeks later...

And now we have all the info, will become a friend soon :clap:

plenty of upgrades every time I go for a loop. Even new routes developing fast.

post-45715-0-43775200-1392573748_thumb.jpg

post-45715-0-82123200-1392573720_thumb.jpg

Excellent, thanks! I am glad there is some level official control over it. I definately will have to go and check it out. Is it safe up there? Any unwanted persons wandering around? Very technical?

Edited by cjlieben

14 March there is a night ride.

cjlieben been there a couple of times and felt safe every time, have not seen any unwanted persons.

Witkop we tend to ride there every Saturday afternoon. I'll guarantee you wont be alone.

14 March there is a night ride.

cjlieben been there a couple of times and felt safe every time, have not seen any unwanted persons.

Very technical--> no you can pick your adventure, lots of ever increasing options. I think Jannie Kruger wants to cater for everyone.

Witkop we tend to ride there every Saturday afternoon. I'll guarantee you wont be alone.

Edited by CMK

On Strava you can see a small loop. I will be doing a longer section up there over the weekend so wil log that and you can see whats available by Monday...