Friends of Magaliesberg

CMK

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is awesome. I will be heading there saturday morning for sure. I an not sure what time, but probably quite early 6 or 6:30. Waiting for feedback from 2 buddies to join in on it too. Looking forward to the new trails.

I see that its sponsored by Solomons Pta North, but you need to sign up at Maniak? whats with that though?

This is awesome. I will be heading there saturday morning for sure. I an not sure what time, but probably quite early 6 or 6:30. Waiting for feedback from 2 buddies to join in on it too. Looking forward to the new trails.

I see that its sponsored by Solomons Pta North, but you need to sign up at Maniak? whats with that though?

Sadly I am already booked for this weekend. Would've wanted to check it out.

Solomons in it for the money? Maniyak for good solid service?

Yeah, saw that also. I don't know how they (developers) are going to control access to the area without spending a lot (fencing, gates)

I have seen a path close to the quarry. You can access it from Poortsig ave.

The path is heavily overgrown and loose stones and a steepish slope make it virtually impossible to ride though. I don't know how far it goes in or how safe it is.

Will go check out the trail soon

Why struggle to look for a path when there is an easy way you to get to the start and just ride!

There were at least seven ways to get up while I was studying. But the school way is the easiest

Miss the "mountain".

Are you guys going to volunteer some help or offer to make a small donation to the people doing the work ?

Heinrich is asking all the users of this trail to join the friends of Magalies, forms is available from Maniyak Cycles and jan@tokologo.co.za.

Heinrich:

"Ons hoop om binne 2 weke die verdere roete oop te stel (‘n sirkel roete wat vanaf die bestaande roete verder gaan tot regoor 26ste Laan en met ‘n ander “single track” weer aansluit by die bestaande roete).

Ek is Saterdagoggend weer saam met die werkers op die roete besig."

Please don't tell anybody about this :ph34r: , then me and the misses can enjoy the views of Pretoria on our own every afternoon, maybe take a bottle of champagne, blanket .....

Went there for a quick detour, and what nice trails. Not too technical, and not too steep. Well worth the time. Can't wait for the entire trail to open, will become a friend this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried it out on saturday. Only dissapointment is that at the moment it is too short. Nice rocky sections, small technical bits, good views. It has good potential and is a nice change from the usual pta routes. Its still a working progress, after all this rain everything is soft and the berms still need to get smooth and hard, but like I said its newly built and there has been lots of rain lately. i had some good fun there, nearly saw my ring piece after cliping a branch with my left ahnd sending me towards another tree, managed to avoid colision though. :whistling:

will have to investigate as it is just up the road from me. Any ride buddies in the MOOT?

Yes ..... you know it.

Miss the "mountain".

Are you guys going to volunteer some help or offer to make a small donation to the people doing the work ?

Already did. If you cross a bridge up there, I built it :D

The story behind the two shops = Maniyak (the club I belong to as well) is helping to build the trails. Solomons sponsored some workers for the intial two weeks of trail building and thus put their names on the signs (that they also sponsored) Nice initiative by both shops, I reckon. We're (Maniyaks) trying to get more work done, but with Tshwane Nature conservation that split into regions some time back things are chaos - not that it even falls under them, but yah.

There is a 20km loop at the moment, although only the first five or so is publicly accessible. The rest of the route needs some more clearing as well as another bridge or two. Also look out for a Downhill track coming in the next year or so (unless we get lots of volunteers then we can start earlier)

• 2 weeks later...

I finally had the time to go try out the route. Very very nicely done. The views are actually spectacular - who'd have guessed that Pretoria looks so good from above.

Anyway, almost got caught-out at The Fountain. But at Long Tom Pass (what I call it, any other name will have me banned by Admin!), the long climb back up, I came up short with traction.

And that singletrack drop at the end, nee manne, dis darem nie vir 'n novice nie. Hectic stuff going back to the start/finish. All in all, very nice surprise. I will definitely go back and become a regular. Thanks guys for the effort

• 4 weeks later...

Moon Treadle NIght Race

Come try out our exciting new venue on your doorstep with fast flowing sections exciting technical stuff and a family atmosphere to make it all enjoyable. The route is designed for all levels of rider and is clearly marked. Entries open in store or from 18h00 at the venue.

Refreshments such as Boerie Rolls and Coldri...nks will be available as a fundraiser, so please show your support!

For further information Call Maniyak Cycles 012 756 4410. Credit/Debit Cards accepted at the venue for both entries and refreshments.

Venue: Magalies Mountain, Lapa (Behind Wonderboom Highschool)

GPS: 25.41’35.3”S, 28.12’08.6”E

Time: Race starts at 19:00 and entries opens at 18:00

Distances: 5/10/20 km

Cost: 5km - R50

10km - R60

20km - R80

Join us every second Friday of the Month for a Moonlight Treadle - MTB Night Racing and an evening out for the whole family.

1. Friday 11 April 2014

2. Friday 9 May 2014

3. Friday 13 June 2014

4. Friday 11 July 2014

5. Friday 8 August 2014

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.616595698429579.1073741845.518206568268493&type=1

• 4 weeks later...

Is the 20km loop open to public yet?

+1. I haven't been there for the last 3 weeks. Hope they get it going soon. :)