Shopping List

geemobee

Damn, that is high. But it also depends on the term of the loan - 1 year or 2 years...

And new bikes have warranties. 2nd hand bikes, you insure.

2 - 3 year term

What are the warranties like on the new bikes?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets say 8% higher.

What are the benefits of buying new? .. do all new bikes have warranties?

Please understand the following if you have cash the lbs will give you between a 10-20% discount off the normal retail price off a bike.

Let's use a practical eg last yr my friend bought a Scott 940 spark,retail was 25500 eventually paid 21000 that was about 18% discount.

According o bike finance the current bike retails for 31900 which means applying he same disc you bike if paid cash should cost pu 26 300, with their payment scheme you pay 6200 upfront an total amount paid is 38700 which is 12 400 more than cash amount. This effectively means you payin about 48% more than the bank loan. Check if you have any penalties on early settlement.

If in 2 years u sell the bike you will get market value on initial new price of 26k not your 38k spent, so value will be around 15k so for along as you will be cycling you be hoes sing because with your first purchase you have lost 23k.

The same applies to all your kit too, full retail price + interest.

These guys make money of your circumstances if you can avoid do so.

Please understand the following if you have cash the lbs will give you between a 10-20% discount off the normal retail price off a bike.

Let's use a practical eg last yr my friend bought a Scott 940 spark,retail was 25500 eventually paid 21000 that was about 18% discount.

According o bike finance the current bike retails for 31900 which means applying he same disc you bike if paid cash should cost pu 26 300, with their payment scheme you pay 6200 upfront an total amount paid is 38700 which is 12 400 more than cash amount. This effectively means you payin about 48% more than the bank loan. Check if you have any penalties on early settlement.

If in 2 years u sell the bike you will get market value on initial new price of 26k not your 38k spent, so value will be around 15k so for along as you will be cycling you be hoes sing because with your first purchase you have lost 23k.

The same applies to all your kit too, full retail price + interest.

These guys make money of your circumstances if you can avoid do so.

That makes a lot of sense! Thanks.

Cash is king :thumbup:

Let the saving begin, which will give me enough time to scout for bargains. Just a pity that it would delay my time on 2 wheels.

That makes a lot of sense! Thanks.

Cash is king :thumbup:

Let the saving begin, which will give me enough time to scout for bargains. Just a pity that it would delay my time on 2 wheels.

I hope I didn't put a spanner in the works but you def would be a lot better off in the long run. Short term sacrifice for long time reward. There are tons of bargains on the hub just scout around, but cash gives you the position of strength to negotiate.

Good luck

don't forget the bike carrier, how are you going to get the bike to and from the LBS?

Good point, what would you suggest?

I hope I didn't put a spanner in the works but you def would be a lot better off in the long run. Short term sacrifice for long time reward. There are tons of bargains on the hub just scout around, but cash gives you the position of strength to negotiate.

Good luck

No it was a good perspective check.

I wonder if BikeLife would finance a discounted deal from the LBS ?

Like you mentioned where the LBS gives you a discount as part of the negotiations.

Like you mentioned where the LBS gives you a discount as part of the negotiations.

Worth a shot, then maybe the deal won't be so bad after all; looking at the deals advertised on the hub it appears lbs specific not finance specific.

Cana

I have been shopping over the last couple of weeks after asking a few questions and driving from LBS to LBS,

Here is what I have so far and what it cost, not all was bought at the same place.

Bike Merida Big 9 lite 1000 R13500 considered 2nd hand but measured for a 21inch and no so many of those around and I got impatient and wanted a warranty.

Helmet Bell R700

Bib shorts x2, Assos Uno and Merrel, R1800 for both, Assos big special.

Bottle cage R150

Mtb Shoes R600

Gloves R170

Multitool R160

CSA license R110

Serengeti reg R130

Still want in order of priority:

Tubeless conversion R500, Maxxis tyres came with the bike.

Camelbak, budget R1000

Pedals, budget R600

Cycling top R400

I initially set my self a budget of R20k and with this lot I am close to that.

I already had a carrier.

I am doing my first race at Serengeti. Can't wait.

Good luck with your shopping.

I have been shopping over the last couple of weeks after asking a few questions and driving from LBS to LBS,

Here is what I have so far and what it cost, not all was bought at the same place.

Bike Merida Big 9 lite 1000 R13500 considered 2nd hand but measured for a 21inch and no so many of those around and I got impatient and wanted a warranty.

Helmet Bell R700

Bib shorts x2, Assos Uno and Merrel, R1800 for both, Assos big special.

Bottle cage R150

Mtb Shoes R600

Gloves R170

Multitool R160

CSA license R110

Serengeti reg R130

Still want in order of priority:

Tubeless conversion R500, Maxxis tyres came with the bike.

Camelbak, budget R1000

Pedals, budget R600

Cycling top R400

I initially set my self a budget of R20k and with this lot I am close to that.

I already had a carrier.

I am doing my first race at Serengeti. Can't wait.

Good luck with your shopping.

WOW well done. Exactly what I had in mind.

Good luck for Serengeti

My approach to this was I wanted to start riding first, but I didn't have a very big budget, Also didn't know if I was going to enjoy it or not, So I got a fairly cheap bike a helmet and a few other spares, had flats, normal tshirts and shorts, I loved it and was hooked, so following month got a pair of shorts, gloves, glasses and a bike rack, following month got some nice scott mtb shoes & cleats, and so it went, Now I'm at the stage of saving for a new bike because I realized I bought too cheaply, but every month I had something to add to my riding experience and no loan to worry about.

Um. Most of the stuff suggested here is to improve your riding/comfort level.

Honestly speaking...the only things that are essential is a bike and a helmet.

Dont get me wrong, you should eventually get all the other stuff...but to start out, all you need is a bike and a helmet.

I don't see why not. You tell them you want a loan of R20k, they check whether you can afford it - simple. I don't think they care what bike you are buying? Unless they are also getting kickbacks (or giving kickbacks) to the bike store.

They don't use the bike as security - it's an unsecured loan. So I think make/model should be irrelevant.

G

Um. Most of the stuff suggested here is to improve your riding/comfort level.

Honestly speaking...the only things that are essential is a bike and a helmet.

Dont get me wrong, you should eventually get all the other stuff...but to start out, all you need is a bike and a helmet.

yep - agreed.

If money is tight (and when isn't it), buy a cheap 2nd hand bike. Even if you replace it after 6 months (or when you've saved enough) you won't loose much - you can probably sell your R5k bike for R4k. If you buy a cheap new bike and sell after 6 months you are probably loosing a 3 or 4 times that amount.

The benefits of riding a cheapie:

You learn to do your own maintenance quickly

You can do you own maintenance without fear of trashing a R30k bike

You will appreciate a new bike so much more

Your bike will probably be heavy - so when you get a new bike you will fly like the wind!

Monday is too far.... just kidding, there is actually no rush and I prefer doing my homework first.

I would like a new bike, should I bump overall budget to R20k then?

Sell that bike in your profile pic, and then phone me - I will take you out shopping!

Ok serious - you sound like you have decided to go for this Mtb thing, my recommendation:

Bike - 16.5k, buy a second hand 29er dual suspension.

Ghetto tubeless conversion - R 500- if not already done.

Bell Yukon Helmet - R 600

Serfass MTB shoes - R 800 - Solomons

Shimano m520 pedals - R 450 - cycle lab, get a price at Solomons as well

Anatomic bib - R 450 make sure it fits properly!

Long finger gloves - R395 anywhere, make sure they fit!

Anatomic shirt - R 250

Socks R 50

First ascent sweat band - R 50

Camelback rogue 2l - Buycycle - R 779

CO2 pump R 89

3x co2 cannisters - R 10 each cycle lab

1 x spare tube with sealant - R 85

Tubeles plugs - R 20 solomons

Tubeles screwdriver thingy with small plugs - R 20 cyclelab

2 x Tyre levers - R 20 anywhere

Ryder floor pump - R 300 solomons

Basic cycling computer - R 200

Multitool - R 285

Quick link R 20

Sunnies - The hub - R 200

Total - R 22 073.00

If you can manage this, you will not need anything else for quite some time and you will have many happy, comfy miles from the word go.

Edited by martinsnyman