Transporting 2 Mtbikes on the back of a Doublecab bakkie

Titan29er

My setup is a piece of square tube placed across the roll bar and attached to the roll bar with U-bolts. 3 fork adapters on the square tube and the rear tyres sit on the edge of the tailgate. Did a trip from Jhb, through the Baviaanskloof, Patensie, Plett, Knysna with three bikes on the back, loadbox full of stuff, tonneau cover on, no issues. Bikes fit comfortably under most, normal height shadenets.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do you keep them upright?

They tend to stay upright on their own due to the friction where the fork and downtube meet but have seen guys strap them down for longer trips.

I have also seen guys employ a similar method to store bikes over the side of a balcony etc when on holiday.

Guest Omega Man

Getting a new Ford Ranger for my Dakine Blanki next week. Yeeeee!

@ Titan29er ... I refer you to this thread

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/133815-cool-new-tail-gate-mat/

This is a custom made mat by Island Style - just phone them up and give them the dimensions of the tailgate and they will make something up for you ... I have used this style of transportation to take 5 bikes from Durban to JHB, and Berg and Bush ... and Mountain Splendor ... and on Dirt roads ... the bike strap things on the top hold the bikes in place and they dont budge ....

Also the foam allows for the rear wheel to rest on the foam and not on the tailgate itself thereby protecting the paint. Mine stays on permanently now.

if you do get one of these and are doing long tips - just a word of warning though ... make sure you check the position of the bike closest to the exhausts wheel - you dont want it burning the tyre ... so I either use a 2nd piece of foam to lift that bike up ... or i need ot get off my arse and get Speedy just to put on an end piece onto my exhaust that bends down ...

But otherwise - its the BEST transportation style by far ...

any bike

any wheelsize

anywhere

no fiddling and farting around with seats and bars (like on Thule racks)

No drilling the bin - or having to make up brackets - for those holdfast wheel clamp racks.

Just put and go!

Thanks a lot nigelhicks.

That looks impressive.

What is the prices on those blankies if I may ask?

Or should I just contact the sellers?

thanks all for the assistance and advise.

@ PhilipV......ek ry te rof.....die toue breek

This is how I do it on my double cab - I like my bikes inside the bay.

I've kept the original QR fittings and added a 15mm thru axel. That way I can carry any road, MTBs, etc. Fittings were R250 a piece from the LBS.

post-45131-0-58633900-1391111620_thumb.jpg

post-45131-0-69832300-1391111649_thumb.jpg

No damage to the tailgate. That's what the foam pad is for.... The DH community have been transporting bikes like this for years and on some REALLY rough roads as well with no problems.

Yep, it works incredibly well. The bikes stand up and balance perfectly, nothing scratches, and it's 100x quicker to get set up. I've used every type of bike rack imaginable over the years, this beats them all in ease of use. Of course, if you have a canopy it's a little bit more difficult, but give it a go!

Why don't you just get one of those Dakine blankies? Island Style also make them

I use a normal 'Basutu blanket" works just fine.

I did however take my front wheel off the other day and without it the front caliper gouged marks into my tailgate so beware. With the wheel on it rests against my towbar which keeps it clear of the tailgate.

I use my D rings in the load area and tie ropes around the handle bars to stop them sliding on the blanket.

Just as an aside I used this method to travel from PE to Umtata, then around again to Hogsback, on to Uniondale and then 4x4ed through the Baviaans all the while with my 2 29ers loaded over the tailgate.

No bikes damaged even with my bike being a carbon hardtail. thats more than 2000km!!!!

Don't knock it till you've tried it. It works!!!

Thanks a lot nigelhicks.

That looks impressive.

What is the prices on those blankies if I may ask?

They are around R900 - but again this will depend on the size that you want i would presume,

Best is to contact the guy who makes them directly

This is how I do it on my double cab - I like my bikes inside the bay.

I've kept the original QR fittings and added a 15mm thru axel. That way I can carry any road, MTBs, etc. Fittings were R250 a piece from the LBS.

the only issue i have with this style (i used to have it with my old bakkie) is that you need to drill into the bin of the bakkie to mount the clamps.... and in Durbs - that = rust! ....

Also i found that you also need to then strap the rear wheels down too or else they bounce around and klap each other. So instead of making it easy to mount you still need tie downs etc unless you drill more holes to mount the rear wheel guide that comes with the bracket system

Also i found that you also need to then strap the rear wheels down too or else they bounce around and klap each other. So instead of making it easy to mount you still need tie downs etc unless you drill more holes to mount the rear wheel guide that comes with the bracket system

I hear what you're saying about the rust, but in GP that's not an issue. As for the back wheels, I don't strap these down at all and have zero experience with back wheels bouncing around. The bikes are in exactly the same position at the destination, and that's been as far as Sabie.

Anyhow, not saying this is the best option, just sharing with Titan29er because he seems to prefer this method.

Archived