Entry costs for funrides

Brent

As an ex UK police officer I'll give you some input from the other side of the fence, because although the country is different the principle is exactly the same.

Please explain why you think that it's okay for a police officer to be forced to change from his normal shift pattern which may include weekend rest days, or annual leave, or being forced to swop from a shift such as lates, or nights to earlies just so we can go out on Saturday or Sunday morning and pedal our bikes around the roads for a few hours.

In fact, I have a great idea, let's also change their shifts to cater for marathon runners, fun runners, motorcycle club rides, and any other Tom, Dick or Harry who wants to use the roads for something

When a police officer gets dragged away from what they are supposed to be doing it means that there are fewer resources to target potentially far more serious issues. That's why events like this have to pay to have the officers available as this is in addition to their normal duties.

With the carnage on our roads, I'll happily pay to have them there so I know that I can race safely and finish in one piece.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For a start get rid of the charities. Why justify hosting a race because the money raised goes to a charity? Why give money to charities? Charities use the money to wine and dine potential sponsors, volunteers, etc at considerable costs. Top level staff are flown all over for these functions. They stay in expensive accommodation.

The one I saw this weekend flown down on Friday from Gauteng to Slaapstad for an dinner at charity expense. Most of the weekend spend galavanting the wine farms. Lekker man Lekker.

Exec's etc earn huge salaries and lots of perks. I only do non charity events.

I am proud to see part of my money go to a good cause!

Go and look at what the Lions and organisations like them do with the money they raise through cycle events, it goes to very worthy causes and virtually nothing is wasted. Their members come out in their hundreds to marshal and man water points for free and they earn the money that comes their way.

The communities that benefit from races like Sani truly support us and help build tracks. To see their very poor schools get a computer or a bus, make me very happy.

If you know of a specific charity that gets funded through cycling and then waste money, please inform us and back your claims up with facts.

With the carnage on our roads, I'll happily pay to have them there so I know that I can race safely and finish in one piece.

The cops do a good job as do the marshals. Cops are great as people pay attention and have to power to get involved if any of the very impatient people who get held up by the races get too annoyed. You can bet the finish at the Paarl race would be a much more hectic event if they weren't there.

They have to be funded via overtime and not on-duty cops, there are enough people complaining about Gupta Gate etc, how the eyes of the chattering masses would roll if people were being robbed and cops were off directing cyclists. Proof that the country is going to hell in a handbag!

I've got no qualms my money supporting the very good causes that the races support and the amazing work they do, I've go no issues paying cops to help either. But with everything now a days the public has a choice and key to customer loyalty & growth (and so more revenue) is a good experience, perception and value for money. The Charity Sector / Cycling events are not immune to this as it's an event not just a fundraiser.

I for one think the entry fee was not extravagant. Have not done PPA rides in a long time, but remember the good old days with the easy entries of R40 each. That was a number of years ago when fuel cost R6-R7 per litre and traffic police did it basically for free. Inflation is not kind to anyone, and no one is immune to that, not even event organizers.

And for any person looking for cold water, Coke or Energade on an MTB ride, I say go do the road race. Real mountain bikers only need water, even if its hot. :P

Thanks to the organizers for a wonderful day out at the Bouckart Soenen ride, it was extremely well attended and I think the organization was superb. I did the 47km MTB race, so cannot comment on the road one.

Edited by camelman

Correct me if i am wrong, but the Metro Police that assist do so in their free time for additional money.

I think the shift cops are already allocated to other responsibilities.

Somebody told me that a while back, not sure how true it is.

You are quite right Wayne. This is not part of the normal SA POLICE/Traffic officer's job. Crime/speeding doesn't take a break while there's a race going on...

I for one think the entry fee was not extravagant. Have not done PPA rides in a long time, but remember the good old days with the easy entries of R40 each. That was a number of years ago when fuel cost R6-R7 per litre and traffic police did it basically for free. Inflation is not kind to anyone, and no one is immune to that, not even event organizers.

And for any person looking for cold water, Coke or Energade on an MTB ride, I say go do the road race. Real mountain bikers only need water, even if its hot. :P

Thanks to the organizers for a wonderful day out at the Bouckart Soenen ride, it was extremely well attended and I think the organization was superb. I did the 47km MTB race, so cannot comment on the road one.

I feel the least they could do was have cold water, Paarl was 35 degrees yesterday. Neway, I had a good time on the road bike. No problems, very well organised.

For a start get rid of the charities. Why justify hosting a race because the money raised goes to a charity? Why give money to charities? Charities use the money to wine and dine potential sponsors, volunteers, etc at considerable costs. Top level staff are flown all over for these functions. They stay in expensive accommodation.

The one I saw this weekend flown down on Friday from Gauteng to Slaapstad for an dinner at charity expense. Most of the weekend spend galavanting the wine farms. Lekker man Lekker.

Exec's etc earn huge salaries and lots of perks. I only do non charity events.

Why don't you come and see how a charity benefits from the funding raised by an event. We would be more than happy to show you what an impact can be made in our local community.

with regard to charities I can give a mouthful, I work in the sector, did my honours in it and now doing my masters. yes there are some NGOs that don't do the job and waste money, they are the minority and tend not to last. The costs of an event will always mean that charities will get a lower percentage than a 100% donation from an individual. Events have the added bonus of putting NGOs and their cause on the map ( I do think NGOs don't sufficiently utilise the marketing/awareness opportunities at an event). For me it is important that we transparent with what percentage goes to charity (bearing in mind that 100% is ideal but not always possible). Secondly, we need to perform our due diligence as donors to ensure that the charity is using the money efficiently and effectively. How we view charities should also begin to shift, many growing and effective charities have massive infrastructure, highly qualified staff, IT systems. And the first question we ask, what is your admin and running costs? it is too high? I want all the money to go the people you serve. Not realising that these are essential processes to ensure that the charity can do its job. A bit of double standards at times when we ask charities to be more 'business like' in their approach and when they do they get crucified. When we purchase a product or a service at a store do we ask how much was spent on admin and running costs to produce the service or product? no we don't, we buy it, finish and klaar. Charities are public entities so you have a right to ask them their annual reports, AFS , attend the AGM's etc. my suggestion, do it. There are great ones and some scaly ones, report them! for the rest support them

Correct me if i am wrong, but the Metro Police that assist do so in their free time for additional money.

I think the shift cops are already allocated to other responsibilities.

Somebody told me that a while back, not sure how true it is.

Wayne, we are thinking of launching a new event here in somerset west one of these days...

after some enquiries - if we cross just 1 x road...bearing in mind it will be a MTB race...1 x road...there need to be traffic officials present....and the MINIMUM fee would be R11 - R15k.

That equates to almost the first 100 entrants' fees of R150 going straight to traffic police...then we havent even asked a parmedic /ambulance to be on standby.

They do not even supply their own pot of Vaseline with that....

To sportsworld.co.za, thanks for providing incite as to what happens elsewhere.

I think though that many of you are missing the point when it comes to the roads being policed for fun rides.

- Large group of cyclists riding a route together/at intervals

- Many disrespectful/non law abiding/bad motorists

- Cyclists being run over and killed ~ as unfortunately does already happen.

Therefore the need from a community service point of view is to have the route policed by those that are essentially paid to do the task through our rates and taxes.

Lets look at it another way. When one goes to the beach in summer and finds a lifeguard on duty as a result of the increased number of beach go'ers, this is from a community service point of view. We dont have higher beach entrance fees (since entry to the most beaches is free).

Its about managing the traffic resources that are available not making those that are on leave work e.t.c.

For sure the metro cops and police must be paid as in most cases this will be overtime, however i have been involved with both running and cycle races where the local authorities have subject to their approval stated that X amount of officials are required but on the day only provide a portion of the man power leaving the organizers scuttling around looking for volunteers to make up the shortfall. Of course they still demand payment in full.

A couple of thoughts:

1. why not reduce entry fee and stimulate participation rather than try to recover costs from a few who remain willing/able to pay the spiralling costs.?

2. why would two identical routes have such drastically different entry fees ... R90 vs R160.?

3. How about redusing costs by doing away with some of the frills like medals which ultimately end up in most peoples bins, or at best, in a box in the garage.?

Medals, I do not even take them anymore (maybe the Medallions, I can at least use the License Disk sticker) :whistling:

And the "August" one off course. :devil:

To add fuel to the fire. This coming weekends race is R160.00 entry fee with PPA discount (I asked about it, reason for high cost was that "the money goes to a charity")

In a few weeks time there will be another race, on basicaly exactly the same route, at almost half the cost. Pse explain that to me, Mr Organiser?

And guess which race I'll be doing.

A couple of thoughts:

1. why not reduce entry fee and stimulate participation rather than try to recover costs from a few who remain willing/able to pay the spiralling costs.?

2. why would two identical routes have such drastically different entry fees ... R90 vs R160.?

3. How about redusing costs by doing away with some of the frills like medals which ultimately end up in most peoples bins, or at best, in a box in the garage.?

The two MAJOR costs in an organised race are (1) timing and (2) traffic control.

medals make up but a small portion of the cost(s).

oh, then there are all the things we expext to have but not ealize thta they cost big bucks when added togeter...portable toilets for example - anybody have an idea what it cost to hire, say 10 portaloos for a weekend?

On-line registration - website set-up etc. this also does not come free / cheap...

I'm also assuming that ALL event organisers are dpoing this for the caharity and that they are NOT getting paid for their slog...

oh, and i haven't even mentioned hiring a beduin tent of some sorts...in 2009 it cost us R2500 for the delivery and set-up /removal (tent rental was free/sponsored).

So, you can see - that without a serious mainline sponsor (in order of R50k) to kickstart the proceedings...it's a difficult task to make any money from an event!!