Two Oceans Marathon 2014

TopFuel

Pretty keen for the half next weekend!

Always an epic vibe and the after party at forries has to be day jol of the year!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doing my second OMTOM half.

Training, for me, is hills, hills, and more hills mostly up and down Chappies and Suikerbossie weekends. I rack up about 50-60km per week, at an average pace of 5.50/km. Last year I winged it (disastrously) without preparation, this year I should get close to 120min. Looking forward to the big day, and hoping for a start as close to the front as possible. D seeded.

Safari is next, on Mayday.

Have a good race everyone.

Edited by Brogue

Doing my 2nd half next weekend :) , any tips on tapering over the next week and a half?

You don't really need to taper for a half, next to zero physiological benefit (unless you are near the top of the field), just cut your long run this weekend by half, and ditch your run 2 days before (make Thursday a rest day), and only run around 3km on Friday at intended race pace. Do everything else as per the usual.

Edited by eeeek

You don't really need to taper for a half, next to zero physiological benefit (unless you are near the top of the field), just cut your long run this weekend by half, and ditch your run 2 days before (make Thursday a rest day), and only run around 3km on Friday at intended race pace. Do everything else as per the usual.

Ok cool, was planning on resting Thursday and Friday have the kiddies race with my son, so that will be my warm up (lol). Starting in D so planning to be there early in order to start at the front of D back of C.

Where would be the best place to park? I'm staying over in Woodstock for the night, so should I just take the road that leads to Newlands from Cape Town (can't remember the name now!), and park as close to the start as possible?

Starting in D, so what time would you guys recommend i get to the Start line to start at the front?

Thanks! :thumbup:

Where would be the best place to park? I'm staying over in Woodstock for the night, so should I just take the road that leads to Newlands from Cape Town (can't remember the name now!), and park as close to the start as possible?

Starting in D, so what time would you guys recommend i get to the Start line to start at the front?

I'm parking at UCT, leaving Hout Bay 4a.m to ensure a spot as close to back of C and front of D as possible.

http://www.twooceans...ans_parking.jpg

Aim to be in your start pen 45 min before, 30min before it starts to get really crowded, really quickly, take black bag to keep warm, can be pretty chilly while you wait.

EDIT: BTW that green line on the map is the Jammie Shuttle bus route, chartered for the day.

Edited by eeeek

Thanks guys, appreciate the help.

Brogue, so you not parking at the designated areas, like SACS? Is there a shuttle service from UCT?

I'll def be taking a black bag, maybe even two. Or even better, maybe an old hoodie or something. I'm made for warmer weather :blush:

Thanks guys, appreciate the help.

Brogue, so you not parking at the designated areas, like SACS? Is there a shuttle service from UCT?

I'll def be taking a black bag, maybe even two. Or even better, maybe an old hoodie or something. I'm made for warmer weather :blush:

There is a shuttle service, but I would only rely on it for afterwards, before best you warmup jog to the start... not used the shuttle before (live 2km from start) but know traffic gets MAL before, cause everyone is trying to drop off or park at the start line, not worth the risk.

We have a UCT parking disc, for students and faculty members. The walk to the start takes about 15-20mins.

So the UCT parking is not for everyone, only you youngsters who still study at UCT? :whistling:

Think I will find a scaly street a couple minutes walk from the start and stroll in from there. Thanks for the help guys

So the UCT parking is not for everyone, only you youngsters who still study at UCT? :whistling:

Think I will find a scaly street a couple minutes walk from the start and stroll in from there. Thanks for the help guys

Park behind the PnP in Rondebosch ... close to the start but a little walk jog from the end

Last year everyone on was allowed to park on campus. The walk uphill (and around and around) after the finish isn't pleasant though, especially if you forget where you parked in the maze of streets.

Woohoo, race day is just around the corner. I cannot wait to get out onto that course an absolutely smash it wide open. One of my absolute favourite races on the calender. The view over Chappies is something to behold.

Good luck to everyone involved. I think a good solid week of training with maybe a 4 day taper will be good enough. I hope the weather holds out, it would be a shocker if it decides to rain or the wind pumps.

Feeling a bit nervous, my first race ever and only done 4 training runs this year, with max only being 12km, though managing to average a 5.40/km. Starting in E, lucky draw, so just going to take it easy and hope for a 2.30. Any last minute tips on how to survive with virtually no running training but good cycle fitness?

Wishing all hubbers the best of luck on race day.