The Classics

T-Bob

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just like in September 2012, Gilbert can afford to celebrate long before the finish line. With 400 metres to go he is already punching the air.
sneaky little bugger

1 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) BMC Racing Team

2 Jelle Vanendert (Bel) Lotto Belisol

3 Simon Gerrans (Aus) Orica Greenedge

4 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spa) Movistar Team

5 Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team

6 Simon Geschke (Ger) Team Giant-Shimano

7 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team

8 Enrico Gasparotto (Ita) Astana Pro Team

9 Daniel Moreno Fernandez (Spa) Team Katusha

10 Yukiya Arashiro (Jpn) Team Europcar

Gilbert's attack was almost a carbon copy of the acceleration that won the world championships in 2012 - all that was missing was the inadvertent lead-out from Vincenzo Nibali. He accelerated on the inside of the bend on the steepest section of the climb, ripped away in the big ring and then had more than enough in reserve to buffer his advantage still further on the plateau over the summit.

Gilbert's attack was almost a carbon copy of the acceleration that won the world championships in 2012 - all that was missing was the inadvertent lead-out from Vincenzo Nibali. He accelerated on the inside of the bend on the steepest section of the climb, ripped away in the big ring and then had more than enough in reserve to buffer his advantage still further on the plateau over the summit.

Thanks for the updates Dale! I am happy he is back to his winning form. Almost started to think he was a 1 season wonder

Thanks for the updates Dale! I am happy he is back to his winning form. Almost started to think he was a 1 season wonder

I think he was worried too... :eek:

Three wins for Gilbert! Nice to see him finding form again after a rough time in 2013.

Bring on Flèche Wallone!

Another cool shot, overhead, up the Cauberg

http://cdn.velonews.competitor.com/files/2014/04/4-20-Gilbert-Attacks-659x440.jpg

Btw the chalkwork graffiti mentions baby Schleckie

:-O

Well spotted.

Also looks like he suddenly lost lots of that ripped muscle in the overhead shot. (yes I'm a bit jealous)