First Tokai MTB AGM

Vince

You can choose a proxy to vote on your behalf, as long as you tell that person who you want to vote for.

Set up a proxy document on Word and put it up on this thread. Proxies need to be in writing and signed off by the party not able to attend.

Make sure you list all portfolios and don't go and change them. ONE vote per portfolio.

Chair and Vice Chair can't be voted for at the AGM, they would be elected by the chosen committee at their first meeting.

Remember, the committee may also have the right to co-opt members. This becomes relevant if someone who's contribution is valued, wasn't voted on to the committee at the AGM. This person has no voting rights within the committee, but it may be of benefit if the person adds value. This part may depend on the Constitution wording, but it might still be a good idea to consider co-option.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest OldFlow

Set up a proxy document on Word and put it up on this thread. Proxies need to be in writing and signed off by the party not able to attend.

Make sure you list all portfolios and don't go and change them. ONE vote per portfolio.

Chair and Vice Chair can't be voted for at the AGM, they would be elected by the chosen committee at their first meeting.

Remember, the committee may also have the right to co-opt members. This becomes relevant if someone who's contribution is valued, wasn't voted on to the committee at the AGM. This person has no voting rights within the committee, but it may be of benefit if the person adds value. This part may depend on the Constitution wording, but it might still be a good idea to consider co-option.

Thanks Rob,

Maybe a correction needs to be posted to the notice though as the Treasurer/Secretary seat is duplicated and the Public Relations one omitted?

Edited by OldFlow

Thanks Rob,

Maybe a correction needs to be posted to the notice though as the treasurer/secretary seat is duplicated and the Public Relations one omitted?

I'm placing that in the proxy form, but you're right. That needs to be amended.

EDIT: It has been. Nominations for the following posts:

XC Rep

DH Rep

Sec/Treas

PR / liaison

Fundraising

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

Damn, I have typed this response a few times only to be distracted at work and somehow close the page.

This started out as a response to a post by GoLefty (who I have known for many years and has been involved with Tokai for a long time too), but ended up addressing a few things that I see as problems. I apologise if someone feels hurt, it could be because there might be some truth to it.

I have helped at a few build days, be it not recently. Myles can attest to the fact that having a little one and an 08:00-17:00 job with 1hour commute each way does not help in getting free time on the weekend.

I have on the other hand tried to help in my own way.

I have tried to ask pertinent questions and request information, plans, etc. in order to:

1. Try to get an idea of what is happening on the mountain.
  2. To try see if I can help with the thought process and processes needed in general to either try help or get the guys to think about certain things, and gauge how long things will take.

(Without information nobodies knows what is going on, on the mountain and in the meeting rooms)

This has often been completely ignored or been met with aggressive responses.

@Deon, your passive-aggressive attitude to me and Harry (who had not said anything on this thread) on Saturday, was unnecessary.

@Marko35s nice meeting you, was good to put a face to a name.

WRT the trails, I have also given my impressions of the trails on how I enjoy them and my thoughts (free country?), some similar responses at times.

You say they are interim trails till after the “burn”, but a couple things

• When is the burn going to happen, it seems to keep getting pushed out. My impression. In the meantime the Wattle and Port Jackson are going completely wild. I know this lies largely with the Parks.
  • Nobody seems to know which areas are going to be affected.
  • Trails are being etched onto the mountain, which aren’t magically going to disappear when the burn happens. Why not ensure that the BEST trails possible on the terrain are built first time? Each change/reroute leaves another mark and takes time. (Yes, they will go away eventually with overgrowth, sand, etc. naturally, but it takes time too). Time that could be better spent repairing and maintaining the trails.
  • You also maintain that the routing of the trails was approved by Vince and Duane, but you have to admit that things look very different on the ground compared to a Google Earth photo.
  • I have to admit you did some great work on that corner on Cobra, and some of the other features (e.g. berms).
  • The placement of some jumps and design of the new table top at my roots, could use a bit more work. Ask Myles, we've debateed this on Warthogs quite a bit.
  • Let me say this now, I am not a skilled trail builder, but I know what is fun to ride. I’m not asking for massive jumps etc. (my balls aren’t that big). As I’ve said before, despite what Myles has said before, I don’t mind pedalling but within reason.
  • Was speaking to a VERY good XC rider (yes, XC not DH) and he said that the trails are NOT fun. He also added that the only reason he’s quicker through Mamba and Boomslang than Gary Barnard according to Strava is because of the amount of almost uphill pedalling.

As has been pointed there has been “history” between Deon and Duane & Vince, but as everyone knows there are at least 3 sides to every situation.

Things have been said in the heat of the moment, that Facebook post that Pappa Bear posted is a prime example. I can't give anymore input on that without context to the rest of the conversation

Let’s all cool off and meet at the AGM on the 18th or Jakes tonight if you can make it. I unfortunately it doesn’t look like I can make it.

Deon go have a beer, you need it.

XC Rep

DH Rep

Sec/Treas

PR / liaison

Fundraising

Slightly clearer:

5.1 Secretary/Treasurer

5.2 Riders representative - Gravity

5.3 Riders representative - XC

5.4 TMNP liaison and fund raising

5.5 Public Relations rep

Slightly clearer:

5.1 Secretary/Treasurer

5.2 Riders representative - Gravity

5.3 Riders representative - XC

5.4 TMNP liaison and fund raising

5.5 Public Relations rep

Thanks Rika.

I think since this is happening in the real world, the nominations have to be real too. Not only real names, but also contact details. To keep it decent I would recommend that we don't bus in voters that have never been to Tokai. Nothing against you, Slowbee, but as you said, lets avoid turning this into any larger of a cluster$#!& than it already is.

Yeah Rika, I agree with you here. Let's keep it to the guys in and around the centre itself, who actually use the park and are directly affected by the AGM. That can include people that come from all over, but it also means that Mr. Joe Average from Hermanus doesn't come through 'cos he once saw tokai in 1995 and now sees this.

But - at the same time the proxy process must be controlled to a degree. That must be the last resort. And the forms MUST be signed by the granters of the proxy. 'cos the process, as open as it is, may be open to abuse from any person involved.

XC Rep

DH Rep

Sec/Treas

PR / liaison

Fundraising

Sorry about this, but can I throw another small spanner in the works for the sake of proper procedure?

The info I am passing on was gleaned from the PPA AGM I attended towards the end of last year.

I was a co-opted member of the Executive up to that point and was up for election, along with a couple of incumbents who's 2 year term was up, as well as a couple of new nominations.

Nobody was nominated for a specific portfolio, but rather for the Executive Committee.

Nominations of candidates, new and those up for re-election, had to be received by the PPA office by a specified date.

Candidates had to be nominated and had to accept their nomination. I think this is an important point, because if you're going to nominate at the AGM itself, the chosen person might not accept ( have a change of heart, be intimidated by possible heckling , peer pressure,...)

How are you going to get your nomination heard when there might be a big crowd and everyone's trying to get their guy's name on to the list?

Nominations of candidates need to be sent to Meurant and received by a specified date. if the AGM is on the 18th, make the cut-off the 17th at Noon.

In my unqualified opinion, trying to nominate, hand over proxies, compile the list of candidates and then do the actual vote has the potential to deteriorate into chaos.

At the PPA AGM, the names of available candidates were read out and the number of vacant positions on the Executive as well. I think we had 10 or 12 nominations for 8 positions. Everyone wrote down their list of 8 names and the staff from the PPA office tallied the votes and the incumbent Chair read out the results.

Determine the size of your committee (easiest is to count the portfolios to be filled. The Chair can be without portfolio, but for a small committee, I suggest you stick with no more than 5 people. The Chair has a double vote (deciding vote in case of a stalemate).

I would be happy to make myself available to count the votes. I would abstain from voting and take a "neutral" position.

Nominations of candidates need to be sent to Meurant and received by a specified date. if the AGM is on the 18th, make the cut-off the 17th at Noon.

Good point, thanks for making it clear. It is in the OP as well:

Nominations for elected positions can be sent to info@amarider.co.za. The closing date for nominations is 5 p.m. on 17 February 2014

The nomination form should include:

Committee Position:

Nominated person:

Email:

Phone:

Nominated by:

Email:

Phone:

Edited by Trillian

Sorry about this, but can I throw another small spanner in the works for the sake of proper procedure?

The info I am passing on was gleaned from the PPA AGM I attended towards the end of last year.

I was a co-opted member of the Executive up to that point and was up for election, along with a couple of incumbents who's 2 year term was up, as well as a couple of new nominations.

Nobody was nominated for a specific portfolio, but rather for the Executive Committee.

Nominations of candidates, new and those up for re-election, had to be received by the PPA office by a specified date.

Candidates had to be nominated and had to accept their nomination. I think this is an important point, because if you're going to nominate at the AGM itself, the chosen person might not accept ( have a change of heart, be intimidated by possible heckling , peer pressure,...)

How are you going to get your nomination heard when there might be a big crowd and everyone's trying to get their guy's name on to the list?

In my unqualified opinion, trying to nominate, hand over proxies, compile the list of candidates and then do the actual vote has the potential to deteriorate into chaos.

At the PPA AGM, the names of available candidates were read out and the number of vacant positions on the Executive as well. I think we had 10 or 12 nominations for 8 positions. Everyone wrote down their list of 8 names and the staff from the PPA office tallied the votes and the incumbent Chair read out the results.

Determine the size of your committee (easiest is to count the portfolios to be filled. The Chair can be without portfolio, but for a small committee, I suggest you stick with no more than 5 people. The Chair has a double vote (deciding vote in case of a stalemate).

I would be happy to make myself available to count the votes. I would abstain from voting and take a "neutral" position.

Okay - so essentially only the nominations count. Whoever has the most amount of nominations gets voted in, if they agree to it. Positions are then discussed within the newly elected committee.

Correct?

So you ONLY have to send your nominations, without listing portfolios, in to AMARider.

Anyone averse to this?

I can imagine that if it does go wrong there it could do it properly. Probably entailing a slow, bike entangled, slide off the lower side of the bridge and into the loving embrace of the water and rocks (that looked just so pretty just a moment earlier) below.

But I would imagine it is the laughter of your friends that hurts the most as you sit there wet and bleeding.

yes and the laughter of your doctor as he hands you a nice fat bill .......

Guys, I think we need to be clear about this or it's gonna be a mess. As I understand, those nominated (sent to Amarider by the Monday) need to stand up and say their say/plans/etc at the AGM. Then everyone should vote for the people standing. If I, for example, give my proxy to Myles he will vote for the said nominee on the night of the AGM?