ERGON Grips: any good?

worriesnot

Hey guys...

Wanted to get some feedback from anyone riding with Ergon Grips (MTB obviously).

Is it really more comfortable (less pain and tiredness in wrists)?

Do you feel "less in control" not being able to wrap your fingers around the bar?

I'm concerned about holding onto the handlebar when it starts getting rough; is it an issue at all?

Any feedback (good / bad) appreciated.

I use them. Would not use anything else although I have tried most grips. The best.

Take into account I don't do DH, mad jumping stuff etc. I have never not felt in control.

The best for touring and long distances. IMHO

Edited by Sepia

I use them, have for about 5 years and find the grip just fine, even for fairly rough all mountain and trail stuff. On long rides of 6 - 8 hours they have saved my hands. Currently I'm using the ones without bar ends. Previously I had the ones with short minimalistic bar ends. Both are very comfortable. They come in large or small shapes, see what fits your hands best.

They do help with numbness .Better with bar ends if you are doing longer times in the saddle .If i could get some for my road bike i would

Very happy with mine. I use them with bar ends, gives a nice 'wide' area to rest you hands when you don't need to hang-on.

I have been using them for about 4 years with the bar ends. Would never change to any thing else. Don't have a problem with numbness in my hand or fingers and find them super comfortable. Never had a problem or a feeling of lack of grip or control of the bars.

My new 29er that I got towards the end of last came with normal grips. Lasted two rides before I fitted a set of these. I found the normal grips so uncomfortable.

Yip, very good grips.

Get the right size ones , you will notice that the upper surface is not flat, so, your hands should not slide off or bounce over them on rough terrain.

Easy to take off and put on. Not cheap, worth the extra cost.

Some sings ze Germans do very well ja!

Hey guys...

Wanted to get some feedback from anyone riding with Ergon Grips (MTB obviously).

Is it really more comfortable (less pain and tiredness in wrists)?

Do you feel "less in control" not being able to wrap your fingers around the bar?

I'm concerned about holding onto the handlebar when it starts getting rough; is it an issue at all?

Any feedback (good / bad) appreciated.

When I first started using them, I felt I had less control. However they were a lot more comfortable so I compromised. The control thing however was more in my head and I quickly got used to them and now won't ride with anything else.

I've found that most ergonomic grips work equally well and they are a vast improvement over regular grips. Ergon ergonomic grips have a really good grip surface, comfortable shape and a good clamping mechanism, which retains them in your favourite position. Normal push-on grips tend to move down over time as you apply pressure on them.

HOWEVER, the silver bullet for resolving wrist pain and hand numbness (in my opinion) is a set of On-One Mary Bars. I've had them on both my MTBs for the past 6 years, and like a Brooks saddle, these get transferred from old bike to new. The bars may seem to have a radical shape at first, but they work like magic once you get used to them. This usually only takes about 5 to 10 minutes. Fit any type of comfort grip to a set of Mary's and you will never experience any hand numbness problems again.

Ergon grips definitely help with numbness and carpal tunnel due to the ability to increase the contact patch area. I've fitted them as standard on my bikes since I started building.

However, recently I found some sella royal mano athletic grips which really are great, 3 different profiles on the same grip, depending on how aggressive you would like to be. And are a bit softer than the Ergon grips.

http://www.selleroyal.com/sites/default/files/GR02ATH.jpg

Ergon grips definitely help with numbness and carpal tunnel due to the ability to increase the contact patch area. I've fitted them as standard on my bikes since I started building.

However, recently I found some sella royal mano athletic grips which really are great, 3 different profiles on the same grip, depending on how aggressive you would like to be. And are a bit softer than the Ergon grips.

http://www.selleroyal.com/sites/default/files/GR02ATH.jpg

Looks cool. Where can you buy these in SA?

I've found that most ergonomic grips work equally well and they are a vast improvement over regular grips. Ergon ergonomic grips have a really good grip surface, comfortable shape and a good clamping mechanism, which retains them in your favourite position. Normal push-on grips tend to move down over time as you apply pressure on them.

HOWEVER, the silver bullet for resolving wrist pain and hand numbness (in my opinion) is a set of On-One Mary Bars. I've had them on both my MTBs for the past 6 years, and like a Brooks saddle, these get transferred from old bike to new. The bars may seem to have a radical shape at first, but they work like magic once you get used to them. This usually only takes about 5 to 10 minutes. Fit any type of comfort grip to a set of Mary's and you will never experience any hand numbness problems again.

I have Marys on my bike, and I absolutely love them!