Round the world cyclist - Charlie Walker's bike stolen in Cape Town

Matt

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does not matter if more bikes get stolen in America the UK or anywhere else it remains totally unacceptable that this happen daily in South Africa and what's even worse our useless police (and government that controls them) does absolutely nothing about it.

i did say there is no justification for what happened, did I not or are you guys just selective reading again?

The crime levels in the new South Africa are mind blowing. Usually, 'the less privileged' will steal anything which can be moved! Indeed, crime can happen anywhere but really, let's not fool each other :D

I lived in London 8 years and never held on to a bike more than 6 months, despite locking them up everywhere. Last one was taken, locked up, from the central reservation in Oxford Street during Christmas shopping, with thousands upon thousands of people trooping past the crime scene.

By contrast, here in Cape Town I have never had a bike stolen.

In the UK - or at least in London - street level bike theft is much more organised, efficient and profitable than what you get here. Whether it's kids steeling old clangers from lamp posts, or white vans cruising Upper Street looking for £5000 bikes, if you leave it in public, it will go eventually, and will probably show up on a weekend market shortly afterwards with a respray.

Of course here we have bakkies that drive through the LBS front window at 4am in the centre of town and load up, although this is not something that affects individual owners.

Edited by Lucky Luke.

Does anyone know if he has been sorted with a bike? If not can someone send me contact details I am happy to help purchase a bike for him to carry on with his travels.

Any details will be appreciated.

I lived in London 8 years and never held on to a bike more than 6 months, despite locking them up everywhere. Last one was taken, locked up, from the central reservation in Oxford Street during Christmas shopping, with thousands upon thousands of people trooping past the crime scene.

By contrast, here in Cape Town I have never had a bike stolen.

In the UK - or at least in London - street level bike theft is much more organised, efficient and profitable than what you get here. Whether it's kids steeling old clangers from lamp posts, or white vans cruising Upper Street looking for £5000 bikes, if you leave it in public, it will go eventually, and will probably show up on a weekend market shortly afterwards with a respray.

Of course here we have bakkies that drive through the LBS front window at 4am in the centre of town and load up, although this is not something that affects individual owners.

hahaha good ol London got to

Love it. I was going to miss my flight to Stockholm so decided to Lock bike up at Wimbledon tube station, only this time for the weekend. Came back the Sunday late evening & needless to say it was gone.