Found my stolen bike - re-sold via Cash Crusaders, Observatory

chrigelschiess

Good move Stretch and I had some theft recently and the assessor and PI suggested I mark all valuable (laptops, cameras etc etc) with some small mark; initials / sticker whatever in an unobtrusive spot to confirm identification as serial numbers get scratched off, etc.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I insure with Outsurance and they have never asked for the frame numbers! I had to give it to them!

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies... feel a bit better but still angry :-)

@ Milky4130 and Vetsuen; the new owner said he bought it around 3 years ago at the mentioned shop without me mentioning any dates and when the case was still fresh. Gumtree ad went up exactly 31 days after bike got stolen. Someone knew the drill. I agree that I should have pursued it harder at the time though... and not let SAPS get away that easy.

@ Eddy; still thinking about this. Am I still the legal owner if I was too stupid (or never thought about it) to make sure I can prove it? Can I lay charges without that exact proof? The link to my post was sent to Cash Crusaders HQ, I will post if I get feedback.

Thing is, the chap that was driving my bike seemed like a genuine guy and I thought at least my bike ended up in some okes hands who seemed to appreciate my old ride. That ended the story for me. Except from telling everyone about it...

They a bunch of crooks... just like the thieves . :thumbdown:

Went around to a few the otherday,most of them where unhelpfull or downright didnt care.. i was with a black friend of mine in the balfour one and when we were standing there he overheard the manager( in vernac) willingly accepting a found/stolen camera from said taxi driver.. who park in the balfour parking lot right outside the selling section.He said the taxi driver told him he can get lots regularly and would take them at r250.00 ea.. when i approached him about my stolen bikes and if i could leave photos and info on them there .. he said no... upon which i told him we overheard him and hes a crook..

Took me phoning the owner who has another branch in PTA to do something.,.. think he was more scared then helpfull :thumbdown:

I might be missing something, but how do you know for sure it's your bike? Some individual part or, serial number?

main road, next to checkers.

A few individual marks and some specific scratch marks... it still had my seat position marked on the saddle pole for instance. And I just know it.

Technically it it still your bike...... end of story. You can try and get it back, but after 3 years I don't know if it will be worth the trouble......

We need to take photos of our bikes and serial numbers and also payslip because this will prove the police, buyer and Cash Crusaders and also insurance... I made a small mistake in the past about the payslip because the writing on payslip disappears over the time and I could not prove it.

I notice that poor people sells lots of stolen stuff to Cash Crusaders and also drug addicts because they desperate for money... It is sad...How to stop it? Don't buy from them...

Think your dig at Cash Crusaders in this specific instance in somewhat unwarranted. Let's assume you wanted to sell that bike when you still had it in your possession - by your own admission you had no documentation linking the bike to you to confirm that you were the rightful/legal owner. What do you propose they and other sellers do when confornted with a similar situation?

Best thing they could do is get a copy of the sellers ID (what are the odds it's real though) and provide that to police when this sort of thing happens.

I am not saying they are not crooks (have no idea as I live in Joeys), but techinically a bit tricky

Edited by Wet Ears

3 years is along time and it could of changed hands 4 times before landing at CC so why crucify them cause they sold your bike when at the time due to the selling process was legit.

I agree with Vetseun, you had no proof then and you still dont except your word which in turn is someone elses word as well.

Get over it and move on and let the guy who is riding your bike enjoy and get some excercise

Forgot to mention the time frame... read my 2nd post regarding this...

Unfortunately even if i see sum1 on my bikes after 5 years... you are going to be ejected off it rapidly with my foot.... that will be your schoolfees on buying stolen goods.. :thumbdown:

Think your dig at Cash Crusaders in this specific instance in somewhat unwarranted. Let's assume you wanted to sell that bike when you still had it in your possession - by your own admission you had no documentation linking the bike to you to confirm that you were the rightful/legal owner. What do you propose they and other sellers do when confornted with a similar situation?

Best thing they could do is get a copy of the sellers ID (what are the odds it's real though) and provide that to police when this sort of thing happens.

I am not saying they are not crooks (have no idea as I live in Joeys), but techinically a bit tricky

Good point, well put. I know since this incident what to do so I can proof ownership of my new bike... So I see this all as a warning to both, myself and the shop.

I emailed CC head office to request they send out the picture of my bike to their branches in the Western Cape which they happily agreed to do.

I know that some Cash Crusaders now ask for proof of purchase before taking a bike in, but that may be the decision of an individual manager or franchisee.

I know that some Cash Crusaders now ask for proof of purchase before taking a bike in, but that may be the decision of an individual manager or franchisee.

Agreed, but surely as a "buyer" of the bike from them you could actually request the proof of purchase, ID and if they can't then that branch should be reported?

Yesterday I walked past a second hand store in Woodstock and saw a wooden elephant that was stolen from my garden 3 or so years ago too...

But back to bikes. Though I had pictures of my bike, the police didn't want to accept that as ownership. They wanted a receipt. "I've had this bike for years and years," I said, "I bought it privately and certainly wouldn't be able to trace the past owner. Nor do i usually go around photographing random bikes in order to claim ownership." Eventually, I got another officer who was more reasonable.

The bike ended up at Cash Convertors in Strand Street but, as I'd already offered a reward, I paid that. I have to also say that they contacted me to say they had the bike after I'd emailed the various stores with pictures. I think the Cash Crusaders website has a "Report stolen goods" link on their site, which (apparently) passes the info to all their stores in the area.