Panorama Cycle Tour 2014

TALUS

Ok so doesn't look like the accident was as bad as I made out. A bit of adrenaline may have changed the story a little. Girl didn't ride today bus seems like it was more of a bunch skills issue than anything.

Day 3... Finally found our legs. Had a great day out. Much preferred today to day 1. I think the shade made a big difference. Also managed to find a group which was much better than riding alone as we did on day 1 and 2.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The official riders dinner was very nice (I normally hate these things). Much later start tmrw. I will have to choose between the Panorama and J2C next year.

How cool was that time trial today??!! Definitely going to be back next year, with a few more miles in the legs though! What an awesome race.

Also stoked that I can wear my hoodie now. They are pretty sweet.

Man I need miles! A race of truth for sure. Such a fantastic setup. Great organisation. Bike Marshalls made sure I will be back. I heard Jaco was hit by a car on the way back to Nelspruit after the race - apparently OK. Never felt unsafe during the entire race. Will be back!

Man I need miles! A race of truth for sure. Such a fantastic setup. Great organisation. Bike Marshalls made sure I will be back. I heard Jaco was hit by a car on the way back to Nelspruit after the race - apparently OK. Never felt unsafe during the entire race. Will be back!

Agreed... what a great race and organisation!

What Jaco are you talking about? Ferreira?

Agreed... what a great race and organisation!

What Jaco are you talking about? Ferreira?

Jip, but all second hand so please treat info with caution. Heard bike was a write-off.

Well done to all the guys, drove from Sabie down to Nelspruit for the day this morning and it looked cool.

Anyone know what the story was with the Traffic Cop lying out on the ground with the Medics and ER 24 working on him. Looks like he had been directing traffic/cyclists and something happened.

Well done to all the guys, drove from Sabie down to Nelspruit for the day this morning and it looked cool.

Anyone know what the story was with the Traffic Cop lying out on the ground with the Medics and ER 24 working on him. Looks like he had been directing traffic/cyclists and something happened.

I really hope it turns out to be heatstroke or something. These guys and girls were standing on some corners where we came through at high speed for 4 days. I was thinking that the odds were not great. If anybody knows anything- Please give feedback

I sit here with lekka sore legs thinking that this was a strong field. My partner and I placed between 10% and 15% in many races over many years (Road and MTB). Here we came in 50% for age and overall. Lots of skinny, tough climbers around.

Jip, but all second hand so please treat info with caution. Heard bike was a write-off.

All legit. Checked his twitter. And he showed photo of his broken wheel. What bad luck after also going down hard on stage 1.

Are you referring to the ranger who was hit? Or a cyclist? At prize giving day 3 they had the rangers come up on stage, one of them was hit by a car, bike write off and 3 cracked vertebrae. But he was still at the evening event and looking (relatively) strong. Walked up on stage and such. Strongs to him for a good recovery.

Coming down long tom on one of the long straights I had a near miss with an oncoming car overtaking a truck over a double solid line. He almost took out a few of us.

Some crazy drivers and the rangers were well appreciated.

My 1st Panorama Tour and I really enjoyed it. Stage 1 I found so hard with the climb back up after the turn around. I really battled up there and so did my partner and then it kept dragging on and on. We lost so much time there and used up so much energy as we were all alone.

Stage 2 I found so fast but manageable until the left turn then it was all downhill and you just followed wheels but all hell broke loose and we were once again on the limit but we did managed to do so much better except having the leading ladies of Yolandi Du Toit and her partner simply ride away from us without a breaking a sweat which was not good for my manly ego I have to admit.

Stage 3 was tough, I did introduce myself to the "ex" Colonel at the start by the bathroom though and he said they were going hard on Longtom, we barely hung on until Longtom pass with the group where truth be told the 2 of them rode away from everyone and left the other mixed team for dead and many others including us as we were already in trouble.

Stage 4 was our best stage, went really well and AndyDude you came flying passed us on the last roller coming back, you must of been doing about 10km/h faster than us. Big respect.

The roads I found pretty dangerous, do you know if they will be fixed for 2015??

I dont think there is much road fixing going on anywhere. Glad I was on 25C tubeless tires.

I dont think there is much road fixing going on anywhere. Glad I was on 25C tubeless tires.

Thats a pity, day 3 wasnt to bad but the other days were not really friendly and safe at parts. Still a really great event / race / tour, it caters for everyone.

Stage 4 was our best stage, went really well and AndyDude you came flying passed us on the last roller coming back, you must of been doing about 10km/h faster than us. Big respect.

:wacko: I can honestly not remember seeing anyone or anything on that last stage except for bits of black and some stars! Legs were stuffed but my strong partner and I tried to push on. Average HR of 87% over an hour not too bad.

Well done to everyone!