Karoo 2 Coast 2014

JJBoth

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of interest, did anyone see any single speeders doing the K2C? See plenty of them in Gauteng, but did not see a single one doing this race (must say I was glad I had my Granny gear, sometimes even wished for just one lighter gear).

Out of interest, did anyone see any single speeders doing the K2C? See plenty of them in Gauteng, but did not see a single one doing this race (must say I was glad I had my Granny gear, sometimes even wished for just one lighter gear).

Yup saw one guy, he must have come in at about 4h50

Eina! that looks bad, was it only the wheel? 

Yes, think I was very lucky with the way I fell... came down hard but no serious injuries only a few bruises  :blush:

That's a lot faster than me (kind of makes sense why I did not see any)... He probably blasted up the hills at a serious pace to minimize the pain. Respect!

I did my first K2C in 2009 on a single speed 29er. Did 4:00:35 after a guy cut me off on the tar 1km from the finish and I hit the deck hard. Had to use my multi tool to straighten my bars which were about 60deg from where they should be. The offender carried on without stopping, most likely chasing a sub4.

Used 36:17 ratio.

This was my first K2C and first 100km. 

Did a 4:51 in Group E. 

Max speed of the race was 79.3 km/h. Dunno where though.

Max heart rate 167.

Ascent 1710/decent 2432. (Garmin 800) Not sure why this differs from the race spec.

Planned it, trained and listened to all the seasoned guys.  Received great advice.

There are really some nice knowledgeable hubbers out there.

I recce'd the Wa-pad on Saturday afternoon and even removed some big rocks from the surface.

I was patient up the Wa-pad, took my chances/gaps, asked, requested and thanked okes who moved.

It did go slow up the Wa-pad, but thankfully never had an issue.

I was very surprised to see the amount of expensive bikes which was very noisy. 

Lack of service.....?

Loved the race, and will definately try improve my PB next year.

Was dit jy Generaal?

I saw a bike with a very similarly damaged wheel at a farm gate a distance after the downhill that follows Die Wapad. I saw the rider on the paramedic's quad bike and his arm was in a sling. Is this the same incident? Either way I hope the rider is okay, wheels can be replaced...

I saw a bike with a very similarly damaged wheel at a farm gate a distance after the downhill that follows Die Wapad. I saw the rider on the paramedic's quad bike and his arm was in a sling. Is this the same incident? Either way I hope the rider is okay, wheels can be replaced...

No that's guys bike was also standing there but nothing was damaged... Luckily it was only my wheel with a few bruises...

If the guy had a beard and a 26inch SS then it was my mate, he stays in Sedgefield and believe it or not he beat his geared time from the year before with 8 min on the SS.

The K2C is sounding more and more like the roadie Argus with the no. of people being inconsiderate, over crowding and the level of skill being rather low with many riders not used to riding in groups or still being rather inexperienced in handling a MTB at speed and then in a group.

Have not done it yet, always wanted to, but thinking it is maybe not worth the cost and effort from CT to do the event ..... or am I completely off the mark and should still give it a go sometime soon?

You are spot-on Hairy. My first 'K2C' was with a group of mates. We toured with our bikes from Knysna to George, to Oudshoorn, to Uniondale to Knysna in 4 days back in 08. Slept in Backpackers, ate huge plates of pasta and had squashed sarmies enroute. Was such an awesome week! The old George road, montagu pass, skinny dipping close to Louvain Farm (spelling?), taking a wrong turn on day 3 and doing an extra 25km, and hitting Angies G spot for milk tart and moerkoffie was but a few good memories.

The wife and I made it, came in just over 7 hours. After not alot of training and the wife pulling out the week before the race and then deciding she wants to attempt it the wednesday before the race i was worried, alot.

SHE KICKED MY butt!!!! i did the race last year so i didn't bother packing any food in, big mistake there was only food left at the last two water points by the time we reached them. So i ate GUs and one energade energy bar for the first 6 hours.

I was dehydrated and DEAD. at the hills i told the wife to go and i crawled/rolled most of them up and then i would catch her again on the downhills.

Big up to the one guy greeting me on the way up on the wapad, sorry you didn't give your name!

The wife pulled a dirty on me, distracted me when we got on the grass at the finish and when i turned back she was sprinting for the line! I started planting it but it was too late...according to racetec we have the same time but she finished before me! I love that woman!!  :blush:

This was my first K2C and luckily i decided the morning before the start to drag my Camelback with. I really feel for the guys who, like I normally do, plan your race in accordance to the water points. It is insane to try and finish the race comfortably if you do not have any solids in your belly... especially for us non racing snakes. Had to pull through on an energy bar and 2 bananas.

Kudos on finishing!!! 

I used Endomondo to record my race. Total ascent for the race was 2956m. (almost double). Freind also got the same results on strava. Anybody had the same problem?

Archived