[Event] MTN National MTB Series #3 Tulbagh Driven By Nissan

WesselvdWalt

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wessel , thanks for the well run event ,it's my third time going to Tulbagh as I make a weekend of it .I have noticed the following though .

Your regular mc was missing which made a difference.

The fact that I could only buy darling beer after the event is rather limiting in my view.

Regarding distance and price and acc.

The event has gone up in price but so has everything else ,I still think its reasonably priced even when compared to others .

The distance that people have to travel is really not far but my experience is that my fellow Capetonians don’t like travelling far and perhaps expect you to move the mountain range closer to them.

Given your previous post regarding the possibility of the event being scrapped due to lack of interest then it might be advisable to consider the date. Another aspect is the fact that Tulbagh has become a popular wedding destination and on this weekend 4 weddings took place thus meaning many had to be accommodated in the small town .Perhaps an arrangement could be made for people to camp at say the local school ground or similar to make this easier for travelling cyclists.

thanks Jorrie, how did your race go?

My race... Well I'd say rather eventful! Started the 75km with good intentions with the A bunch, all went fine for the first 6km till that guy in the front of the bunch missed that famous arrow... Coming from Tulbagh and being involved with the route I tried to stop as many riders as I could, only to receive a crazy face glare from most. I got back on my bike and rode to the tar crossing, jumped in with a speed cop chased for about 5km till we could stop the guys and get them back on the right track.

When I got back to my bike I went back and made sure the arrows were at the right place, meanwhile my wife came past chasing the other girls in the 45km, so I decided to make a family day of it and did the 45km with her!

My race... Well I'd say rather eventful! Started the 75km with good intentions with the A bunch, all went fine for the first 6km till that guy in the front of the bunch missed that famous arrow... Coming from Tulbagh and being involved with the route I tried to stop as many riders as I could, only to receive a crazy face glare from most. I got back on my bike and rode to the tar crossing, jumped in with a speed cop chased for about 5km till we could stop the guys and get them back on the right track.

When I got back to my bike I went back and made sure the arrows were at the right place, meanwhile my wife came past chasing the other girls in the 45km, so I decided to make a family day of it and did the 45km with her!

I was also in that A bunch - the route marking in the first few km's were a complete disaster. At least 50 of us took the wrong route, but we were diligently following arrows all the way. I've raced for 25 years and know how to follow a marked course. Why the organisers could not use a little bit of candy tape and common sense and close off the "wrong" routes in those first few dusty and crowded km's is beyond me. If you organise a MTB race and you get only one thing right, it must be the route markings. One bad route marker leading to a balls up like yesterday and the entire event is spoiled. Sure, we had a nice ride in the countryside, but I came to race. This race was supposed to be the highlight of my season.

There was no race yesterday - the marathon results are a farce and a charade.

Was in the A bunch as well. Thanks Jorrie for jumping in the cop car and helping us back on track.

Was a nice, hard day out in the saddle.

Lets hope the guys can learn from the feedback for next year.

Results appear to be strange. Winning time for the 47 is 1:47 and 2:05 for the marathon which my Garmin shows was 72km. I did not think that plus 30km/h was possible on that route if I'm overtly suspicious I know who my money is on for the Epic!

So, here's a bit of an interesting twist. I

received my results via sms and verified it on

MTN site yesterday, and they've adjusted my

time taking into account (I assume) the A

bunche's detour, the winner Nico Phitzinmyer

(excuse the spelling) together with most of

the leading results were also adjusted by a

wopping 1 hour exactly...So why would the

organisors do this (unless its an error by the

timing system) if it was the riders mistake?

Were that sign not perhaps bumped over by

one of the Elite ladies taking the turn, and if

Nico was in the front, surely it would've been

easy for him to see the marker (had it been

there) Controversy controversy. ..who will

really know, imo if you change something,

you've accepted blame..

So, here's a bit of an interesting twist. I

received my results via sms and verified it on

MTN site yesterday, and they've adjusted my

time taking into account (I assume) the A

bunche's detour, the winner Nico Phitzinmyer

(excuse the spelling) together with most of

the leading results were also adjusted by a

wopping 1 hour exactly...So why would the

organisors do this (unless its an error by the

timing system) if it was the riders mistake?

Were that sign not perhaps bumped over by

one of the Elite ladies taking the turn, and if

Nico was in the front, surely it would've been

easy for him to see the marker (had it been

there) Controversy controversy. ..who will

really know, imo if you change something,

you've accepted blame..

Wessel maybe you can shed some light here

I was also in A bunch, but the marker was still in the correct position and I did not get lost ( this is almost unusual for me :whistling: )

It must have been bumped over after I passed, I was in the front 15 to 20, or so guys.

I measured 74km.

I received initial race results, which were correct as far as I could determine, which now seem to have been adjusted, not so happy with this.

As for the route: Please give us more single track, the parts that were single track I really enjoyed, the rest just sort of did not seem well prepared or marked.

The race venue was very good and everything else seemed well organised, well done!

Hey Guys,

I've got the winning time for the marathon at 3:05:25.

This is how it is on the current results this morning.

I'll hear from the guys today about the event and give you some feedback.

regards!

I was also in that A bunch - the route marking in the first few km's were a complete disaster. At least 50 of us took the wrong route, but we were diligently following arrows all the way. I've raced for 25 years and know how to follow a marked course. Why the organisers could not use a little bit of candy tape and common sense and close off the "wrong" routes in those first few dusty and crowded km's is beyond me. If you organise a MTB race and you get only one thing right, it must be the route markings. One bad route marker leading to a balls up like yesterday and the entire event is spoiled. Sure, we had a nice ride in the countryside, but I came to race. This race was supposed to be the highlight of my season.

There was no race yesterday - the marathon results are a farce and a charade.

Couldn't agree with you more, route markings should be 100% spot on and on a high speed corner where you turn out of a bigger road into a smaller road there should be tape.

Hey Guys,

I've got the winning time for the marathon at 3:05:25.

This is how it is on the current results this morning.

I'll hear from the guys today about the event and give you some feedback.

regards!

Hi Wessel, great and proper MTB event!

Just one comment with regards to the results.

Not impressed to see my email, phone number and ID on the spreadsheet and now accessible to all.

Pretty sure Nico took the right way and pretty sure he won.Think it was just a timing error that everyone's time was out by 1 hr.Positions adjusted because they added the women into the mix.Agree I'm not happy about cell,mail and ID no all over the net.