LTHR (Lactate Threshold Heart Rate)

FARMBIKE

In any case - unless you are training at Elite levels, it's not much use, because you are in the training zone where if you train more/harder you will improve significantly - once you are looking for the last 2%, then it's a useful measure to base specific interventions on.

Not true, any level of athlete will benefit.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't trust Strava's power estimates at all - they don't agree with any level of accuracy with my power meters.... unfortunately, because it would be nice if they did.

If youre loading actual power numbers and not using strava estimates based on rider weight then surely FTP estimate must be accurate?

If youre loading actual power numbers and not using strava estimates based on rider weight then surely FTP estimate must be accurate?

Yip but that is the just of it....strava will estimate ftp based on speed and incline when it doesnt find power data...that is way out. when you upload your wattlab data its spot on.

So you both right :w00t:

When you upload your files to Strava and have a powermeter on your bike the power data is 100% accurate on the recorded ride or race you upload. Therefore the FTP is correct.

Even without a powermeter the data on Strava is pretty accurate, it is within a 5% range and that is good enough to work off for any athlete or rider wanting to use that as a training tool and "test"

I might be doing something wrong on Strava, but their estimates are off compared to my actual power numbers (sometimes the difference is small, sometimes HUGE) - I suspect some of the issue is with their underlying base data is sometimes wrong - so some climbs have wrong gradients etc - got to confuse any calculation they do, but kudos to them for trying anyway.

You can estimate FTP by calculation anyway - it's just a test you repeat to see improvement - so you could just as easily use distance achieved in 1 hour, or time over 40k as a measure, or some such.

I know I've pondered this before but how many actually do?

I can not say how many people do or know about this as often when people go "scientific" to say they believe it doesnt apply to them cause they a recreational rider. At the end of the day everyone wants to see some form of improvement in their riding not so? A simple FTP test is a simple and great way to see how your improvements are coming on and with Strava for example its a cheap and accurate way to test without being tested.

When you upload your files to Strava and have a powermeter on your bike the power data is 100% accurate on the recorded ride or race you upload. Therefore the FTP is correct.

Even without a powermeter the data on Strava is pretty accurate, it is within a 5% range and that is good enough to work off for any athlete or rider wanting to use that as a training tool and "test"

I found mine to be out. But maybe its because of variables or bad geo data....who knows

I found mine to be out. But maybe its because of variables or bad geo data....who knows

Are you uploading with a phone or a actual unit? Strava when tracked with a phone is not as accurate as with a Garmin head or any other head unit for that matter.

Are you uploading with a phone or a actual unit? Strava when tracked with a phone is not as accurate as with a Garmin head or any other head unit for that matter.

Uploading via edge 500. I suspect some bogus geo data might have had an influence. Only compared it on one stretch where I did a ftp test...vs my actual...strava is only as good as its input data when calculating power so not really its fault

I might be doing something wrong on Strava, but their estimates are off compared to my actual power numbers (sometimes the difference is small, sometimes HUGE) - I suspect some of the issue is with their underlying base data is sometimes wrong - so some climbs have wrong gradients etc - got to confuse any calculation they do, but kudos to them for trying anyway.

You can estimate FTP by calculation anyway - it's just a test you repeat to see improvement - so you could just as easily use distance achieved in 1 hour, or time over 40k as a measure, or some such.

Back in the 'old' days (yip I've been around that long ;) ) pre HRM's and PM's a simple 20k TT ridden flat out on the same course every few weeks was used to monitor improvement so as you say there are many ways to monitor improvement

Back in the 'old' days (yip I've been around that long ;) ) pre HRM's and PM's a simple 20k TT ridden flat out on the same course every few weeks was used to monitor improvement so as you say there are many ways to monitor improvement

I would dare to say that is still a great cheap way to determine increase in performance(take x weight over y distance and measure time.)...conditions must be the same though..

Uploading via edge 500. I suspect some bogus geo data might have had an influence. Only compared it on one stretch where I did a ftp test...vs my actual...strava is only as good as its input data when calculating power so not really its fault

There is definitely bad data in Strava, especially on the older segments for some reason - they do know about it, and are trying to fix it - just going rather slowly.... but it's a LOT of data to rework, so pretty understandable it will take a while.

There is definitely bad data in Strava, especially on the older segments for some reason - they do know about it, and are trying to fix it - just going rather slowly.... but it's a LOT of data to rework, so pretty understandable it will take a while.

Yea...most notable is if you seach HC climbs or segments and browse....there is defnitely some dodgy data, but like you said....it will take a long time before its rectified so no one is blaming them. Strava is an awesome app and its free subscription offers alot considering its mahala

You mean - back in the days when we used to race steel rigid MTB's downhill.... wearing T shirts... :) and yes, I am one of those...

Very interesting thread - hub is not just handbags and hissy fits. Extract from Training Bible

post-32242-0-77583100-1392712063_thumb.png