How fast

geemobee

It's not really viable at all to compare ave. speeds between people who are all on different routes. Way too many variables.

When visiting family in JHB I might cruise around at average speed of 30 km/h over a 70+ km ride. But here in Westville, going to work in the mornings (which is where most of the climbing happens) I might break myself to reach 22 km/h for my 17km commute. But you see, I have to get over a lot of humps with 15 - 18% gradients on the way...

You can only ask this question of others who do the same route that you do.

nail on the head

mtb

road bike

SS

hills

flat

mine shaft

traffic

weather

AS SAID BEFORE ALWAYS GO AS FAST AS THE SITUATION ALLOWS

if the situation allows for a chilled ride then chill

if the situation.....................see above

Hi Hubbers,

What is your average speed when commuting?

I did a 20km round trip over the weekend which took me about 1hr and 45mins.

Just keen to know what is considered normal travel time.

You have to start with where you are, so this is normal for you, forget about everyone else.

Can you go faster / do you want to go faster? If so, then give it a try and see where it takes you; if not carry on doing what you're doing. The main thing is to be happy.

Coming on the Hub and asking "what's normal?" is a refreshingly reckless approach to life - good luck.

Randburg to Sandton, 53 minutes in the mornings by montainbike, 1 1/2 hour in the afternoons (I'm taking a longer more scenic route in the afternoons).

By car between Xmas and new year 20 minutes, any other time or the year anything from 1-1 1/2 hours; 2 hours on rainy days.

Same reply to how long is my piece of string...

It all depends on weather, traffic and road conditions as well as the amount of pedestrians.

If traffic is very heavy it takes me 10 - 15 minutes longer to get to point B

Weather.... Lightning - you will find me hiding under some structure. so will take a lot longer to get to point B.

And the road I use. One is most uphill all the way. so it takes much longer...

Randburg to Sandton, 53 minutes in the mornings by montainbike, 1 1/2 hour in the afternoons (I'm taking a longer more scenic route in the afternoons).

By car between Xmas and new year 20 minutes, any other time or the year anything from 1-1 1/2 hours; 2 hours on rainy days.

I think that that is the point. Whenever I used a bicycle to commute it was inevitably faster than doing the same journey by car.

I think that that is the point. Whenever I used a bicycle to commute it was inevitably faster than doing the same journey by car.

Yeah, on a bike it takes me around 2 minutes and 30 seconds, by car it can sometimes take up to 11 minutes if there's a jam.

and 1 1/2 hours on foot this afternoon - faster then this morning's drive :)

• 4 weeks later...

On a nice day like today I can average between 21 and 27km/h, In the wind from Montague - Parow - Montague commute I average between 16 and 20km/h. I do 30km per day over a combined 1h15min.