Advice for a Pom wanting hire a MTB

MarkyMark71

Evening all,

I need some advice and it was suggested that I tap the fount of knowledge that is contained within the hub, so here I am.

I have the great pleasure of visiting SA next month and although my ride time will be limited I'm going to get at least one days riding in. Now to my, question to you good people, where is the best place to hire a decent full-sus trail bike in the Somerset West area?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance and keep those wheels rolling:)

Cheers

Mark

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks MintSauce (MBUK?)

I've dropped a mail to irideafrica and mentioned the recommendation so I hope they'll thank you guys for that.

Was hoping I'd get more time to ride during my visit but the girlfriend and her family have practically filled everyday with things to do. Can't wait as it's my first visit and would have loved to have made some new riding buddies, maybe next time as I'm sure I'll be back.

Thanks again

Sweet! Thanks Captain, the Trance 29er is looking good to me, I'll try getting hold of Dan.

He used to have 29ers. Think they all got replaced with 650. He may still have some niners in his stable though

the girlfriend and her family have practically filled everyday with things to do.

So you have practically every day to ride while they get on with it?

In the Cape and you'll ride once? I think ride near the beginning of your trip and then decide how much riding you want to do.

Cape Hubbers: your task, should you choose to accept it, is to give him reason to cancel a few appointments.

So. many. trails.

I have been here for 7 months and I have not even done them all yet! 1 ride won't cut it. But if one ride only... Jonkershoek? It's nice close by Somerset West.

I'll get a nice second hand Orange 5 650b off ebay, you can bring it across and I'll let you ride it for your one ride here. No charge. ;)

I'll get a nice second hand Orange 5 650b off ebay, you can bring it across and I'll let you ride it for your one ride here. No charge. ;)

Just 1??

Thanks a million guys, and I wish I could get more riding in but as the girlfriend is a MTB widow at the weekends as it is, it would be a little unfair to do the same whilst being on holiday together. Besides who am I to argue if her family want to show me your country and I'm sure I'll be back real soon to get some real riding in.

Lol! Thanks for the offer hellocolour, but I could never forgive myself for taking you up on that and delivering an overpriced British product. I've never been overly taken with them, tried the regular 5 and didn't get on with it. Ended up keeping my old Prophet (w/Lefty) before finally going for a 29er. The only bike that came close to get me to part with my cash was an Ellsworth Epiphany but at the time the prices were ridiculous.

The ideal picture is waking up early, going for a ride, getting home at 9 and wandering around with family [edit: daily]. Look, I'm only thinking of your emotional distress 5 minutes after you finish your one and only ride.

Edited by Zook

There is one little issue Zook, I've never driven in my life so depending on where the trails start from my doorstep could put a damper on what is a great idea. Thanks for thinking of my emotional distress, I get grumpy if I don't ride often enough so they may well decide to kick me out for an extra day's riding to put a smile back on my face:)