Bikes for tall people

Stiggy

So I am in the market for a new bike.

I am wondering what is the best frame for a tall person.

I am 1.96m (or 6' 5in for the older generation).

Is there better frames for tall people?

My friend (2.02) bought an XL momsen two weeks ago, send it back last week as he was told it will work for him but it didn't.

He again in the market...

I'm 1.95 and ride an XL Silverback Mercury and also a L/M Fuji which actually feels slightly larger whereas an XL commencal was too small for my liking, rather check the frame geometry.

I am 1.95m. Rode a Silverback Nabraska L for a very long time. Its fine for me. But like the other oke said, compare bike sizes and then decide. A L from one make is not always the same size as the next L manufacturer. The same goes for shoe sizes...

Stiggy ,I am same height as you, my MTB ( Giant) is a size (XL) and my Road bike ( Trek) 60 CM...

Happy with both ...

Yip, Cannondale the only bike for really tall guys IMO.

Depending on what you want to spend, I would say the CAAD 10 is great value for money.

I am 1.87 meters with a 91cm inseam and I have ridden my CAD 3 for the last 13 or so years and not 1 issue.

I have found I cant ride the new "compact" geometry frames, they just don't suit my build.

Also guys our height generally aren't the lightweights in the bunch either and Cannondale is nice and strong.

When you do buy make sure you get a nice strong set of wheels, 36 hole, build on really good rims.

Also consider getting wider bars. Might allow a shorter bike to feel longer (if that is a problem).

I am 1.95m. Rode a Silverback Nabraska L for a very long time. Its fine for me. But like the other oke said, compare bike sizes and then decide. A L from one make is not always the same size as the next L manufacturer. The same goes for shoe sizes...

That must have been a sight!

The Nabraska is a 26er and a Large would have been a 19"

I am 1.87m and rode a XL (21.5") Mercury 26 and I was all over that circus bike, it was just not big enough.

Please post a pic with you on the bike ... either here on in the Friday Funnies thread.

I'm 1.98m, and I ride a giant Anthem x 1 XL. It took a bit of fiddling with setup, but I'm comfortable on it now, and can even throw it around a bit since I got a dropper post. Honestly, I think it was the single most important thing that increased my comfort in terms of control and feel over the technical stuff.

Other than that, I have test ridden the specialized epic, which was really comfy right off the bat... Just too steep for my wallet...

Before the dropper, I always felt a little too much "on top of the bike" rather than "together with the bike".

Edited by DomP

Looking at for a new ROAD bike.

Heard that Cannondale frames have a good "tall" geometry

Road bike ... ok

Then you need to look at top tube length.

Measured from center of steerer tube to center of seat tube ... based on you height alone (more info is required to be more accurate) I would guess a 62cm top tube.

Some manufacturers do the sizing a bit differently and the actually measure the seat tube (center of bb to center of top tube). With all the sloping stylish geometries these days, that measurement means jack all really.

Pinarello, Bianchi, Cannondale ... the list goes on, all have 62cm bikes.

So start looking at top tube lengths and compare the sizing between the brands you fancy!