My 26er is back..

Azza

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen. With little bacon angels flying around.

The Keg used to have angels on horseback on their menu. I prefer devils on horseback though.

Are you new here? We don't let logic, common sense or information get in the way of an argument on a Friday or any other day that ends in a "y"...

So we always have to wait till tomorrow? :huh:

Nah. I'm fully aware where the majority of meat comes from. Those cut price R 29.99 / kg chickens you get at the major stores? Yeah. They're "free range" Riiiiiiight. Free to range in their 10x10 inch box with a head opening for their food access and a pipe for their water. Right.

That's why the proper free range stuff is so flippin expensive, comparatively. Economies of scale and the available land and all that.

What I meant was the picture was only indicative of the pork that comes from the non free-range suppliers. Which, admittedly, are the majority of the producers the world over. But - if you look hard enough, and have enough cash, you can find the meat that comes from properly raised and fed cattle, swine and chook. But you have to know the differences between the options available, and be okay with the concept of why things cost more in the shops, when they come from different providers...

You get free range providers, and you get the normal providers. Given the choice, I'd go for free range every time. But I don't always have the choice (from a monetary perspective) and therefore I sometimes go for the battery farmed stuff. But I still know where it comes from...

I read somewhere that a good couple of million of chickens are slagged everyday just in RSA, no way can you achieve that on grain fed, free range happy chickens. Unforunately with a world population in the billions this is how food production is going.

I read somewhere that a good couple of million of chickens are slagged everyday just in RSA, no way can you achieve that on grain fed, free range happy chickens. Unforunately with a world population in the billions this is how food production is going.

Yep. Sadly. But I'm okay with that. Or, at least, I understand it. I will continue to strive to buy things free range, but I can't always do that. One thing is for certain though - the living conditions of those chickens / cows / pigs etc could certainly be improved. Even if just from a sanitation perspective. Some of those plants (yes, plants - cos that's all some of them are) are truly disgusting.

But - back on track. Everything is better with bacon. If I had to choose ONE type of food to live on for the rest of my life, that would have to be a top runner. One food.

Guest Omega Man

Mmmmm. beeeer. There's a craft beer fair at the False Bay Rugby Club tomorrow and sunday.

You guys with your beer and bacon, stop now! I am in Kuwait, NO beer, NO bacon, for me its red wine anyway (and 26er or 650b to try keep it on track) but.......what, NO wine either, eeeishhhh have a great week end riding you Saffers!

Guest Omega Man

Yep. Sadly. But I'm okay with that. Or, at least, I understand it. I will continue to strive to buy things free range, but I can't always do that. One thing is for certain though - the living conditions of those chickens / cows / pigs etc could certainly be improved. Even if just from a sanitation perspective. Some of those plants (yes, plants - cos that's all some of them are) are truly disgusting.

But - back on track. Everything is better with bacon. If I had to choose ONE type of food to live on for the rest of my life, that would have to be a top runner. One food.

Dude Free Range is a Myth to make Woolies mommies in their Range Rovers feel less guilty. If chickens were really free range they'd cost R200 a kilogram.

The other day I bought some chicken on special from PnP. When I opened the packaging, K asked me if it was Turkey we were having for dinner. So blatantly over-sized it was crazy. Must have come from a 4kg chicken, it was so big. But you know what? It tasted SUPERB.

My wife is very closely linked to the food industry in her current job (including supplier sourcing as well as all aspects of food preparation) and up until recently was employed in the food industry by a large supermarket chain.

Most of the meat that you purchase nowadays has been injected with brine. You will notice a lot of liquid left behind after you cook your chicken/beef/lamb etc. Even boerewors. (Have a look next time you do a roast in the oven) This increases the raw selling weight but drastically reduces the cooked weight as most of the liquid evaporates.

As much as I love bacon, I can't remember the last time I was able to cook a golden brown strip that was crispy without coming close to burning it..... Not like mom used to anyway!

My brother in law's father used to farm chickens. They were labeled as free range. They all lived in a shed with no windows. The lights were on a timer. Each time the lights went off, they slept. Switch the lights on and they eat. Open the doors for a period of each day and they roamed outside for a while (free range) stick them back indoors and the cycle started again. They laid eggs like machines. They grew fast because the ate three to four times a day. Not battery chickens, but DAMN they tasted good on a braai!

Chicken breasts stuffed with fetta and tomato pesto wrapped in bacon..... :drool:

you guys have it all wrong ... this is what you have with beer!

http://www.stereomojo.com/MINI%20AMP%20SHOOTOUT/images/Burger-and-Beer_000.jpg

Dude it has bacon on it as well! My statement holds true. The correct answer to any question is either Bacon or Beer. If in doubt however use both :thumbup: