Checkers Delivery Truck - Kalk Bay

CMDC

Yesterday morning we were forced off the road by this truck. Trailer wheels were about 15cm from our heads. Another cyclist a few meters up the road was also forced off and landed up falling. All of us were single file.

I was along the same stretch.

The truck hooted and hooted and forced his way through space where there was no space at all.

Thumbs down, Checkers delivery driver.

There was a rider down on Main Rd in Muizenberg yesterday.

When we went past, a policeman and others were with him so we didn't stop.

We had a puncture near Westlake and heard ambulances go past. I hope he was OK.

Not sure if the rider down in Muizemberg was related to this truck. We lost sight of it at the robots in Muizemberg - may have turned off somewhere.

Teletubbies?? - have a pic on my cell phone with reg number of trailer.

Teletubbies = cyclist/motorcyclist with GoPro mounted on helmet a la the famous/infamous (depending on how many times you were forced to watch it by your children) TV show.

Great that you have his details, nail him and use twitter for added response from Checkers.

Checkers have responded and stated that the driver has been given a warning. Hopefully that have counseled him as well and that he understands the seriousness of what he has done. Could easily have been a tragic outcome.

It is great to hear that they have responded and hopefully educated the driver. No use "nailing the bastard" or suspend him from duty as this will only cause more antagonism towards cyclists in general.

Hopefully the incident in Sea Point has told us all to try and resolve these situations without violence. The only other way is to do what was done above, report the situation and let the companies deal with it as I am sure they are actually getting some systems in place to deal with it. The more this is done, the more educated drivers we will have on the road. Unfortunately this does not work for all the other fools on the road in their own cars.

On the other hand, also learn to share the road. If vehicles are getting stuck behind you/ your group for kilometers, stop for a moment and wave them by. This will actually go a huge way to instill some good will towards cyclists. We don't own the road, it belongs to all vehicles.